Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane talk forum
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:03 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 19478
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Tulane news release on her future plans

http://news.tulane.edu/news/green-wave- ... U.facebook

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:47 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 8875
Not a lot of plans there...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:38 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 16709
Location: Chicago
ml wave wrote:
Not a lot of plans there...


Maybe get a job maybe coach ... I don't think our fearless blind link poster even read the article, yet again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:59 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7289
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
I only wish her nothing but the best in her future endeavors. May she excel with her degree!

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:17 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 2996
Location: Wichita
Play in Europe? Who knew there were women's leagues in Europe?!

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:58 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 6368
Location: Charlotte
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Not a lot of plans there...


Maybe get a job maybe coach ... I don't think our fearless blind link poster even read the article, yet again.


the article CLEARLY implies she plans to graduate... how much more do you need?

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:25 am 
Offline
Breaker Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 am
Posts: 332
Leslie has signed an agent and is weighing her options to play in Europe


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:07 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 18338
Location: Cincinnati, OH
gerryb323 wrote:
Play in Europe? Who knew there were women's leagues in Europe?!

Sarcasm? There have been for decades. Women back in my era went and played in Europe, before the WNBA existed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:50 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5721
Location: Gretna, LA
PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Play in Europe? Who knew there were women's leagues in Europe?!

Sarcasm? There have been for decades. Women back in my era went and played in Europe, before the WNBA existed.

Women's hoops is FAR bigger in Europe. Russia, in particular, has very high-paying leagues (it's the hobby of the oligarchs).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:23 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 2996
Location: Wichita
GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Play in Europe? Who knew there were women's leagues in Europe?!

Sarcasm? There have been for decades. Women back in my era went and played in Europe, before the WNBA existed.

Women's hoops is FAR bigger in Europe. Russia, in particular, has very high-paying leagues (it's the hobby of the oligarchs).

I guess since I pay zero attention to women's leagues in the US I obviously know nothing of the of viewing habits of Europeans

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:34 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:02 pm
Posts: 2770
Location: metairie, La
She will be playing in Europe this coming season


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:08 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5721
Location: Gretna, LA
Wavemania wrote:
She will be playing in Europe this coming season

Romania, to be exact.

Tulane release:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2017/6/14/womens-basketball-graduate-leslie-vorpahl-signs-contract-to-play-overseas.aspx

Wikipedia page for the team (their native one is, of course, in Romanian)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CS_Universitatea_Cluj-Napoca_(women%27s_basketball)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:46 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 16987
Location: Philly & Ocean City, MD
Yikes, I've been to Bucharest and some of the surrounding area. Even outside of the main areas, it's sporty living. She's in for a culture shock.

_________________
Tulanian since 1974


Last edited by TUPF on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:26 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 8875
TUPF wrote:
Yikes, I've been to Budapest and some of the surrounding area. Even outside of the main areas, it's sporty living. She's in for a culture shock.

What do you mean by "sporty living" because that doesn't strike me as a bad thing?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:34 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5721
Location: Gretna, LA
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Yikes, I've been to Budapest and some of the surrounding area. Even outside of the main areas, it's sporty living. She's in for a culture shock.

What do you mean by "sporty living" because that doesn't strike me as a bad thing?

Eastern Europe, especially in the smaller cities, is VERY different from the US or even western Europe. It's not all bad, by any stretch, but it is very different in terms of daily living and what's considered normal (regular loss of utilities, very little police, very poor transportation infrastructure (but widely accessible internet and cell phones) for example, and there's plenty more). It's a strange crossroads between modern Europe and the third world, in some ways. I haven't been to Romania, but I've been told it's pretty similar to the parts of Ukraine where I did spend some time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:46 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 16987
Location: Philly & Ocean City, MD
GretnaGrn wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Yikes, I've been to Budapest and some of the surrounding area. Even outside of the main areas, it's sporty living. She's in for a culture shock.

What do you mean by "sporty living" because that doesn't strike me as a bad thing?

Eastern Europe, especially in the smaller cities, is VERY different from the US or even western Europe. It's not all bad, by any stretch, but it is very different in terms of daily living and what's considered normal (regular loss of utilities, very little police, very poor transportation infrastructure (but widely accessible internet and cell phones) for example, and there's plenty more). It's a strange crossroads between modern Europe and the third world, in some ways. I haven't been to Romania, but I've been told it's pretty similar to the parts of Ukraine where I did spend some time.

And that is what I meant by "sporty living". Constant upheaval, undependable services, a real stretch for folks used to First World comforts. We used to use the term sporty in the financial world to characterize goals that were almost unattainable unless there was some 11th hour stroke of luck.

Romania is a country that even though a NATO member, has not quite shed its communist past. When you are in Bucharest, you are just as likely to be shown the public square where the former leader was executed (its right across from the excellent Hilton where I stayed) as you are the ornate governing palaces. Get away from those places and it's Third World territory. My hosts always wanted to conduct "meetings" in moving cars because they were certain that any other places would be wiretapped and surveilled. And this was just last year.

_________________
Tulanian since 1974


Last edited by TUPF on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:11 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 8875
Sporty, huh...who knew?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:32 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 29281
Location: Way ahead of you
Interesting, TUPF. My niece had a diametrically opposed review. She took a "grand tour" of Europe in 2015, as a presentation model for Lincoln Motors, doing a series of auto shows. She visited more than 15 major cities over the course of 3½ months, from Dublin to Istanbul. She said that Budapest was, by far, her favorite city of them all (London, Edinburgh, Paris, Rome, Florence, Berlin, Geneva, Athens, Madrid, Vienna, etc.). She said the food was the best, the architecture the most interesting, and the people the most friendly there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:39 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 16987
Location: Philly & Ocean City, MD
Roller wrote:
Interesting, TUPF. My niece had a diametrically opposed review. She took a "grand tour" of Europe in 2015, as a presentation model for Lincoln Motors, doing a series of auto shows. She visited more than 15 major cities over the course of 3½ months, from Dublin to Istanbul. She said that Budapest was, by far, her favorite city of them all (London, Edinburgh, Paris, Rome, Florence, Berlin, Geneva, Athens, Madrid, Vienna, etc.). She said the food was the best, the architecture the most interesting, and the people the most friendly there.
Interestingly, I have no doubt in what your niece experienced. She probably stayed in the nice areas, and given her job, mingled with and experienced a first rate experience. My stay in the Hilton, across from where what's his name was executed, was sublime. If you've only seen that part of Bucharest, it's wonderful. But move to the areas where Ms. Vorpahl is sure to venture and it's a whole different story. Auto shows are by there very nature catered to the class of folks who could afford them--by self selection, that's a top 1% only group in a lot of places.

It reminded me of a few visits I made to Lima, Peru: glorious government buildings and a beautiful hotel area, but a five minute walk away there were open sewers flowing in the streets.

_________________
Tulanian since 1974


Last edited by TUPF on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Leslie Vorpahl
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:43 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 16987
Location: Philly & Ocean City, MD
Sorry, meant to write Bucharest, which I've spent time in, not Budapest, where I have never been. Too many adult beverages on a hot summer day! Roller, I am told the same about Budapest that your niece experienced. Not so much about Bucharest, Romania.

_________________
Tulanian since 1974


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group