Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:19 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7011
Location: Charlotte
AO Sig wrote:
TUPF wrote:
PCWave wrote:
TUPF you stumped me with your last post. I guess I am too old to understand. :-D

The Kevin Costner movie Bull Durham about minor league baseball players. “Nuke” LaLoosh was the pitching prospect “with a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head” who was taken under the wing of veteran catcher Crash Davis. As importantly, Nuke is scooped up by cougar Annie Savoy who makes it her duty each season to school a young protege in the ways of the world and hopefully send him on his way to The Show.

Every time Tanner Lee throws a Pick 6, I think of Nuke LaLoosh throwing a 98 MPH fastball over the backstop.


I must commend you; educating your colleagues is a very admirable trait, and the more we can do that using references and analogies in sports-related (and other) movies, the better. Once again, we have proven that we are a cut above so many other fan sites, where the majority of the posts are monosyllabic, and any use of creativity is frowned upon (or at least not the norm). Keep up the great work! :-D


Pretty sure most monosyllabic posters on other sites have seen Bull Durham

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:34 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3477
Location: Marietta, GA
Johnny Mac wrote:
AO Sig wrote:
TUPF wrote:
PCWave wrote:
TUPF you stumped me with your last post. I guess I am too old to understand. :-D

The Kevin Costner movie Bull Durham about minor league baseball players. “Nuke” LaLoosh was the pitching prospect “with a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head” who was taken under the wing of veteran catcher Crash Davis. As importantly, Nuke is scooped up by cougar Annie Savoy who makes it her duty each season to school a young protege in the ways of the world and hopefully send him on his way to The Show.

Every time Tanner Lee throws a Pick 6, I think of Nuke LaLoosh throwing a 98 MPH fastball over the backstop.


I must commend you; educating your colleagues is a very admirable trait, and the more we can do that using references and analogies in sports-related (and other) movies, the better. Once again, we have proven that we are a cut above so many other fan sites, where the majority of the posts are monosyllabic, and any use of creativity is frowned upon (or at least not the norm). Keep up the great work! :-D


Pretty sure most monosyllabic posters on other sites have seen Bull Durham


Personally, I give TUPF an "A" for his brief, but very accurate, synopsis of the movie, not to mention the appropriate use of the analogy in this instance. I believe the accurate synopsis is what AO Sig is referring to here.

As we Tulanians all know, brevity is the soul of wit.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:49 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7625
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
Rotorooter wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
AO Sig wrote:
TUPF wrote:
PCWave wrote:
TUPF you stumped me with your last post. I guess I am too old to understand. :-D

The Kevin Costner movie Bull Durham about minor league baseball players. “Nuke” LaLoosh was the pitching prospect “with a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head” who was taken under the wing of veteran catcher Crash Davis. As importantly, Nuke is scooped up by cougar Annie Savoy who makes it her duty each season to school a young protege in the ways of the world and hopefully send him on his way to The Show.

Every time Tanner Lee throws a Pick 6, I think of Nuke LaLoosh throwing a 98 MPH fastball over the backstop.


I must commend you; educating your colleagues is a very admirable trait, and the more we can do that using references and analogies in sports-related (and other) movies, the better. Once again, we have proven that we are a cut above so many other fan sites, where the majority of the posts are monosyllabic, and any use of creativity is frowned upon (or at least not the norm). Keep up the great work! :-D


Pretty sure most monosyllabic posters on other sites have seen Bull Durham


Personally, I give TUPF an "A" for his brief, but very accurate, synopsis of the movie, not to mention the appropriate use of the analogy in this instance. I believe the accurate synopsis is what AO Sig is referring to here.

As we Tulanians all know, brevity is the soul of wit.


I thank you for picking this up; my comment meant to imply that some on other sites have troubles remembering what they had for breakfast (although they seem to remember who was the quarterback for their favorite team 22 years ago).

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:49 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 6067
Location: Gretna, LA
AO Sig wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
AO Sig wrote:
TUPF wrote:
PCWave wrote:
TUPF you stumped me with your last post. I guess I am too old to understand. :-D

The Kevin Costner movie Bull Durham about minor league baseball players. “Nuke” LaLoosh was the pitching prospect “with a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head” who was taken under the wing of veteran catcher Crash Davis. As importantly, Nuke is scooped up by cougar Annie Savoy who makes it her duty each season to school a young protege in the ways of the world and hopefully send him on his way to The Show.

Every time Tanner Lee throws a Pick 6, I think of Nuke LaLoosh throwing a 98 MPH fastball over the backstop.


I must commend you; educating your colleagues is a very admirable trait, and the more we can do that using references and analogies in sports-related (and other) movies, the better. Once again, we have proven that we are a cut above so many other fan sites, where the majority of the posts are monosyllabic, and any use of creativity is frowned upon (or at least not the norm). Keep up the great work! :-D


Pretty sure most monosyllabic posters on other sites have seen Bull Durham


Personally, I give TUPF an "A" for his brief, but very accurate, synopsis of the movie, not to mention the appropriate use of the analogy in this instance. I believe the accurate synopsis is what AO Sig is referring to here.

As we Tulanians all know, brevity is the soul of wit.


I thank you for picking this up; my comment meant to imply that some on other sites have troubles remembering what they had for breakfast (although they seem to remember who was the quarterback for their favorite team 22 years ago).

Obviously we are better able to breathe out of our eyelids, like the lava lizards....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:12 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6862
Location: Dripping Springs
https://twitter.com/Coach_Yurcich/status/962023546233831424


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:45 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6862
Location: Dripping Springs
Just another chapter in the continuing saga ...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/09/falcons-bringing-quarterback-tanner-lee-in-for-a-visit/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:10 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3477
Location: Marietta, GA
sr wrote:


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The FUTURE?! BAAAARRRRFFFF!!! Of what?!

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:59 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7625
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
Rotorooter wrote:
sr wrote:


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The FUTURE?! BAAAARRRRFFFF!!! Of what?!


Mediocracy!

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:11 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 6067
Location: Gretna, LA
AO Sig wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
sr wrote:


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The FUTURE?! BAAAARRRRFFFF!!! Of what?!


Mediocracy!

Well, I will say that if Tanner Lee is your quarterback you won't have to worry about blowing any leads in the Super Bowl....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24820
Location: New Orleans
AO Sig wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
sr wrote:


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The FUTURE?! BAAAARRRRFFFF!!! Of what?!


Mediocracy!


If Lee becomes someone’s mediocre starter he will have exceeded my expectations by a zillion.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:52 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20080
Location: Chicago
Jacksonville Jaguars... GM and coaching openings shall appear soon

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:55 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2594
Location: Greeneville, TN
Jacksonville needed someone to come in and throw picks if Bortles gets hurt and can't do that himself


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:12 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6862
Location: Dripping Springs
This tweet is rather spot on ...

https://twitter.com/TomFornelli/status/990333351763562496


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:34 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3477
Location: Marietta, GA
windywave wrote:
Jacksonville Jaguars... GM and coaching openings shall appear soon

If Lee becomes an NFL starter, on merit (no injuries), I swear I will never watch another football game again. It will mean that everything, EVERYTHING, I know about football is wrong. It also means that the NFL teams makes picks based only on measureables and nothing on intangibles and past history.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:51 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2594
Location: Greeneville, TN
He reminds me a ton of Christian Hackenberg from Penn St. or a little further back of Logan Thomas from Virginia Tech. Those guys had measurables, but it was just obvious they had no business at QB in the NFL. At least the Jags didn't spend a 2nd (Hackenberg) or 3rd (Thomas) round pick on Lee.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:36 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20659
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
According to a Nebraska paper, Tanner Lee is the first Nebraska QB drafted as a QB in 30 years (they had one other who switched to WR before the combine) and the only Big 10 QB drafted this year.

Tanner Lee. You read that right. #Crazy

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:39 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20659
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
SB Nation has a good overview of the situation


https://www.cornnation.com/2018/4/25/17 ... -can-do-it

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:41 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2594
Location: Greeneville, TN
WaveProf wrote:
According to a Nebraska paper, Tanner Lee is the first Nebraska QB drafted as a QB in 30 years (they had one other who switched to WR before the combine) and the only Big 10 QB drafted this year.

Tanner Lee. You read that right. #Crazy


I immediately had to look this up because I didn't believe it. Sure enough, last Husker QB drafted was Keithen McCant by the Browns in the 12th in 1992. You'd have to go all the way back to Vince Ferragamo in 1977 (Rams, 4th round) to find one picked in the first seven rounds. Crazy indeed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:42 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3477
Location: Marietta, GA
WaveProf wrote:
SB Nation has a good overview of the situation


https://www.cornnation.com/2018/4/25/17 ... -can-do-it

Couldn't have said it better myself. The author must have read this forum, he's so right.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:44 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3477
Location: Marietta, GA
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
According to a Nebraska paper, Tanner Lee is the first Nebraska QB drafted as a QB in 30 years (they had one other who switched to WR before the combine) and the only Big 10 QB drafted this year.

Tanner Lee. You read that right. #Crazy


I immediately had to look this up because I didn't believe it. Sure enough, last Husker QB drafted was Keithen McCant by the Browns in the 12th in 1992. You'd have to go all the way back to Vince Ferragamo in 1977 (Rams, 4th round) to find one picked in the first seven rounds. Crazy indeed.

I forgot about Ferragamo, who was a transfer from Cal. The only UN QB I could think of in the NFL was Jerry Tagge, but he was early 70's. I think Scott Frost was drafted as a WR, but I couldn't think of anyone else.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:33 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4343
Location: Wichita
Rotorooter wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
According to a Nebraska paper, Tanner Lee is the first Nebraska QB drafted as a QB in 30 years (they had one other who switched to WR before the combine) and the only Big 10 QB drafted this year.

Tanner Lee. You read that right. #Crazy


I immediately had to look this up because I didn't believe it. Sure enough, last Husker QB drafted was Keithen McCant by the Browns in the 12th in 1992. You'd have to go all the way back to Vince Ferragamo in 1977 (Rams, 4th round) to find one picked in the first seven rounds. Crazy indeed.

I forgot about Ferragamo, who was a transfer from Cal. The only UN QB I could think of in the NFL was Jerry Tagge, but he was early 70's. I think Scott Frost was drafted as a WR, but I couldn't think of anyone else.

Frost played safety in the NFL. Crouch was drafted as a WR but got hurt before he could play. Played some CFL QB

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:56 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18338
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Rotorooter wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
SB Nation has a good overview of the situation


https://www.cornnation.com/2018/4/25/17 ... -can-do-it

Couldn't have said it better myself. The author must have read this forum, he's so right.
That turnover machine comment made me chuckle. And remember. All these comments were based solely on his Nebraska showings. Throw in his Tulane performance and you have to wonder when potential is actually overtaken by game time performance.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:56 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20080
Location: Chicago
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
According to a Nebraska paper, Tanner Lee is the first Nebraska QB drafted as a QB in 30 years (they had one other who switched to WR before the combine) and the only Big 10 QB drafted this year.

Tanner Lee. You read that right. #Crazy


I immediately had to look this up because I didn't believe it. Sure enough, last Husker QB drafted was Keithen McCant by the Browns in the 12th in 1992. You'd have to go all the way back to Vince Ferragamo in 1977 (Rams, 4th round) to find one picked in the first seven rounds. Crazy indeed.


I had no issue believing it, they ran the option and their QBs were built like LBs and ran like CBs.

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:10 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20347
Location: Cincinnati, OH
windywave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
According to a Nebraska paper, Tanner Lee is the first Nebraska QB drafted as a QB in 30 years (they had one other who switched to WR before the combine) and the only Big 10 QB drafted this year.

Tanner Lee. You read that right. #Crazy


I immediately had to look this up because I didn't believe it. Sure enough, last Husker QB drafted was Keithen McCant by the Browns in the 12th in 1992. You'd have to go all the way back to Vince Ferragamo in 1977 (Rams, 4th round) to find one picked in the first seven rounds. Crazy indeed.


I had no issue believing it, they ran the option and their QBs were built like LBs and ran like CBs.

Or ended up in the big house (and I don't mean Michigan's stadium).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tanner Lee
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:17 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2594
Location: Greeneville, TN
I knew they ran the option or some version of it for a long time, but they weren't still running it in their last title appearance in 2001 were they? And even still, I know they haven't run it for the last decade+. That's a long time for a major school to have no QBs drafted.

I was discussing this with a fellow alum yesterday and he created a spreadsheet with every QB draft pick since the 2000 draft. The only current P5 schools with no QBs drafted since 2000 are:

South Carolina
Wake Forest
Minnesota
Maryland
Kansas
Colorado

Long story short, Nebraska was in pretty rare company.

Tangentially related, most QBs drafted goes to USC with 8 followed by LSU with 7 and then surprisingly, Louisville with 6.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group