Brian Bogusevic

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
occasionally
Navigator Level

Brian Bogusevic

Post by occasionally »

Going back up to Houston. Astros putting Jason Bourgeois on the DL, which freed up the spot. Announcement made late tonight.
bigmoneytx

Re: Brian Bogusevic

Post by bigmoneytx »

Bogusevic going backup again - effective today

http://www.examiner.com/houston-astros- ... ic-paredes
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

Astros have an eye on Brian Bogusevic

http://www.newsok.com/astros-have-an-ey ... nes_widget
St. Amant Wave
Breaker Level

Post by St. Amant Wave »

Bogie was 1-1 last night in the Astro's win.
Wave Baseball !! Gotta Love It !!!
occasionally
Navigator Level

Post by occasionally »

In the Astros lineup tonight (Tuesday) and batting third. (Not sure if that's a compliment or the reality of how bad the Astros have become.)
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

occasionally wrote:In the Astros lineup tonight (Tuesday) and batting third. (Not sure if that's a compliment or the reality of how bad the Astros have become.)
Maybe maddog can shed light, but it sure looks like a fire sale after last week. The Phillies thank you.

Maybe this is BB's chance to show whether he is for real so management can make an assessment for the near future.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
maddog
President's Circle

Post by maddog »

The strategy seems to be "let's try to win in 2014 or 2015" and not even try in the short term. Trading Keppinger for young players made sense. He was a solid vet who wont be around by then. I like the Michael Bourn deal because they got some more young players for a player that struggles persistently in the clutch. He has speed to burn and can steal bases at will, but with the game on the line you can count on a popup or a fly ball to the warning track. He is a front runner and will do well in a lineup full of big hitters if he sticks to his role of getting on base for the other guys. I think the Astros will easily replace him. The Hunter Pence deal is a heartbreaker. Hopefully, the youngsters he brought will mature into fine big leaguers. If they do, Hunter Pence will probably still be a perennial All Star. At the end of the day, the Astros have anextremely impressive array of lower minor league talent. It will take a while for them to make a difference and it will either be shockingly exciting to watch them play in the near future or it will be disgusting. On top of that, the Astros demoted Wallace and Johnson to AAA. They seemed to be the future. Hopefully, all this will give Boguesevic a good look. Not sure Manzella is affected by any of this. The franchise is being sold. I dont know if the new owner signed off on any of this.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

maddog wrote: The Hunter Pence deal is a heartbreaker. Hopefully, the youngsters he brought will mature into fine big leaguers. If they do, Hunter Pence will probably still be a perennial All Star.
Was listening to a local Philly sports talk radio interview with MLB's Jason Stark and the talk went to all of the Phillies minor leaguers traded in the past year or so for Halladay, Oswalt, Lee and Pence. According to Stark, he says 14 of the 16 minor leaguers traded by the Phils will be in the majors, and he specifically mentioned all three traded to the Astros for Pence. In particular he said Tulane's Josh Zeid could be in the Show by year end!
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
maddog
President's Circle

Post by maddog »

The more Tulanians playing for the Astros the better.
maddog
President's Circle

Post by maddog »

Brian just doubled. I know it's just the Reds, but hopefully that is a sign of things to come.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

maddog wrote:The franchise is being sold. I dont know if the new owner signed off on any of this.
According to the Reds radio guys on Friday night while the Pence deal was happening, both the current owners and the new owners have to sign off on any deal that is made. Don't know if it's true or not, but they seemed to be getting info rolling in off the wires in the pressbox so I assume it would be. It sorta begs the question though, which set of owners is driving the dealing - which is out negotiating? Can a future owner legally (per MLB) go make deals?
maddog
President's Circle

Post by maddog »

Ed Wade, the current GM, is taking all the "credit" for the deals. If all these young players turn things around, the new owner will be the beneficiary so he may not care about the short run. Also dont know how close he is to the team yet to know the difference.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

Bogie scored the tying run in the Astros win against Pete's Reds.
maddog
President's Circle

Post by maddog »

Astro remnants just took 2 of 3 from those people. OMG.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

maddog wrote:Astro remnants just took 2 of 3 from those people. OMG.
Yup, you're only 17 games behind us now. STRIKING DISTANCE! :roll:
Seriously, just like last year in August and September, the Astros suddenly become tough because they have all these young green guys who are busting their tails to prove themselves and they're going against the competitive teams' older starters who've already played 90-100 games. It's enough to make you think they're gonna challenge for the division in 2012, just like you were convinced they would in 2011. I could razz you endlessly about that prediction but I'll let you go since I know you are still hurting from the Pence deal.

Not that I really am defending the Reds. Dusty Baker's clearly lost this team. The only way they win the division again in the next two years (I believe Baker's in year one of a three-year extension) is if the ownership sacks up and fires him, eating the remainder of his contract. Thing is, I wouldn't put it past them though. They were stuck having to give an extension to Baker last year because they won the division, but they clearly weren't completely sold. I think this city would have a party if they fired him at the end of the year.
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

Wouldn't be the first city to do that after firing him. Seriously, how does he keep getting a job? If he doesn't have a roid boy he stinks. Guess Votto needs to get on the juice.
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

went 1-2 today with a run scored. came in to PH and stayed in.
Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

Still playing, but is 3-3 with 2b and HR vs Dbacks tonight
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Post by TPSTulane »

Wavemania wrote:Still playing, but is 3-3 with 2b and HR vs Dbacks tonight
3-4 now Micah just struck him out.
Tulane School of Business Class of 1981
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
Conference Realignment "is like changing seats on the Titanic."
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

that was the 1st of his career. Congrats Bogie.

He hasn't nailed down a slot in the majors yet but he deserves a ton of credit for getting to this point after washing out as a pitcher.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TPSTulane wrote:
3-4 now Micah just struck him out.
Were you watching? Did the announcers discuss their background together at Tulane?

How cool is it that our #1 and #2 pitchers (and arguably, hitters) from the 2005 team faced each other in the majors? :thumbsup:
occasionally
Navigator Level

Post by occasionally »

Astros announcers didn't mention it, though it's possible they might have said something earlier when Owings came in the game.
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

ended the night 3-5, 2 runs, 3 rbi, 2 SO's, a double, a HR, 2 out rbi hit,
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

Follows up his best game with
1-3, 1 run, 1 bb, 0 k
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »