Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Dave Dickerson
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:05 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19756
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Per our local news this morning, "Scout.com is reporting" that DD is in the final three for the head coaching position at Miami (OH). Their long-time coach just retired.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave Dickerson
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:36 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17886
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
I wish him well. Hopefully all of us apply lessons learned from the inevitable misfires and steps backward. It is the rare person who never experiences failure and more the measure of a person on how one recovers.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave Dickerson
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:18 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5943
Location: Gretna, LA
He strikes me as someone who will learn from his mistakes. It was time for him to go from here, but I wouldn't be shocked if he builds on what he learned and eventually works out as a head coach elsewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave Dickerson
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:02 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:18 pm
Posts: 16275
Location: Depends on the week
I wish him the best at whatever he does. No ill will towards him at all. I hope he learned a few things the first time around both in dealing with the administrative side and the coaching side. He is not a terrible coach but he needs mentally strong kids that have no doubts about their skills or else they will crumble vs. his style of coaching.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave Dickerson
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:35 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24611
Location: New Orleans
If he gets this or another job the first thing he needs to do is accept whatever he finds in his new situation and not complain about it. Ever. DD had a lot of things going against him here but he also showed a tendency to accentuate the negative in public.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave Dickerson
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:37 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:32 am
Posts: 1878
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Feel so sorry for Miami.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave Dickerson
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:50 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20522
Location: North Kenner
On April 5th, 2018 USC Upstate is going to name Dickerson as their head coach.

Quote:
@ToddSummers7:On Thursday April 5th, USC Upstate will officially introduce Dave Dickerson as its new head basketball coach.
Dickerson has spent time as a head coach at Tulane and as an assistant at Ohio State. He is a native of Olar, SC. @WSPA7

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave Dickerson
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:42 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2272
Location: Greeneville, TN
That's the A-Sun. I'm pretty sure USC-Upstate has never made the tourney. Would be cool to see him pull that off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave Dickerson
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:25 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4177
USC-Upstate or what I refer to as “The other other USC.”

Glad to see him get another chance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave Dickerson
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:08 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9581
NJwave wrote:
USC-Upstate or what I refer to as “The other other USC.”

Glad to see him get another chance.

Obviously the hire not impressing this guy...


USC Upstate grad transfer Mike Cunningham will visit Tulane on April 7th, per a source. Louisville, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Florida State also in mix.

— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) April 2, 2018



Cunningham averaged 13.7 points, 3.0 assists and 2.8 rebounds per game this season for South Carolina Upstate, who went just 7-25, including 2-12 in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Cunningham also averaged more than 13.4 points per contest in 2016-17.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave Dickerson
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:44 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5943
Location: Gretna, LA
ml wave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
USC-Upstate or what I refer to as “The other other USC.”

Glad to see him get another chance.

Obviously the hire not impressing this guy...


USC Upstate grad transfer Mike Cunningham will visit Tulane on April 7th, per a source. Louisville, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Florida State also in mix.

— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) April 2, 2018



Cunningham averaged 13.7 points, 3.0 assists and 2.8 rebounds per game this season for South Carolina Upstate, who went just 7-25, including 2-12 in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Cunningham also averaged more than 13.4 points per contest in 2016-17.

I wouldn't read much into it, given where he's looking to go. Obviously, he wants to play in a more competitive league than the A-Sun (assuming the interest is mutual with at least some of the schools mentioned).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dave Dickerson
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:13 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3798
Location: Wichita
GretnaGrn wrote:
ml wave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
USC-Upstate or what I refer to as “The other other USC.”

Glad to see him get another chance.

Obviously the hire not impressing this guy...


USC Upstate grad transfer Mike Cunningham will visit Tulane on April 7th, per a source. Louisville, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Florida State also in mix.

— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) April 2, 2018



Cunningham averaged 13.7 points, 3.0 assists and 2.8 rebounds per game this season for South Carolina Upstate, who went just 7-25, including 2-12 in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Cunningham also averaged more than 13.4 points per contest in 2016-17.

I wouldn't read much into it, given where he's looking to go. Obviously, he wants to play in a more competitive league than the A-Sun (assuming the interest is mutual with at least some of the schools mentioned).

Pretty sure there had to be mutual interest for an official visit

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group