Mr. Smart, I would like to thank you....

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
Coach Level

Mr. Smart, I would like to thank you....

Post by 1401973 »

it has been a true privilege to watch you play for the last four years. I will remember your all-out effort, quickness, strength, tenaciousness and warrior mentality for many a year.
Racking my brain, and I can only come up with Wilfred Simon as the only TU defensive player that can compare.
Tanzel Smart All American.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Mr. Smart, I would like to thank you....

Post by long green »

Amen. Tanzel is the best Tulane DL I've ever seen. Simon is second; he was one of those lightning fast middle guards who faded out of football during the 1980's (he'd be an end today). I've never seen a Tulane player get held more than Tanzel was this year (Ade was held nearly as much).
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Finalists for Bednarik
Allen, Alabama 23 solo, 23 assists, 9.5 TFLoss, 7 Sacks
Garrett, A&M 18 solo, 12 assists, 14 TFL, 8.5 Sacks
Peppers, Michigan (LB) 42 solo, 17 assists, 13 TFL, 3 sacks

Finalists for Nagurski
Allen, Alabama - see above
Foster, Alabama (LB), 40 solo, 35 assists, 9 TFL, 2 sacks
Wilkens, Clemson (DE), 21 solo, 21 assists, 12 TFL, 3.5 sacks

Tanzel Smart, Tulane 31 solo, 31 assists, 17 TFL, 4.5 sacks

Sorry for the mess above. Not smart enough to upload a spreadsheet.
But what am I missing. Everybody we played schemed to stop this dude and he outperformed each of the DL finalists for the two major awards.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

1401973 wrote:But what am I missing. Everybody we played schemed to stop this dude and he outperformed each of the DL finalists for the two major awards.
You're missing that he's not on a top 25 P5 team so therefore he couldn't possibly be better than those other guys and his performance "wasn't as important".
:xmad: :xmad: :xmad:
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Interior defensive linemen who have won the Nagurski since 2000:

2013 Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh (13 games) 43 solo, 16 assist, 28.5 TFL(!), 11 sacks
2009 Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska (14 games) 52 solo, 33 assists, 20.5 TFL, 12 sacks
2007 Glenn Dorsey lsu (14 games) 34 solo, 35 assists, 12.5 TFL, 7 sacks

As a reminder...
2016 Tenzel Smart, Tulane (11 games) 31 solo, 31 assists, 17 TFL, 4.5 sacks
extrapolated to 14 games: 39 solo, 39 solo, 22 TFL and 6 sacks

Smart's stats compare to the great Suh, and far superior to the tigger Dorsey.

Tanzel Smart First Team All American
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

PeteRasche wrote:
1401973 wrote:But what am I missing. Everybody we played schemed to stop this dude and he outperformed each of the DL finalists for the two major awards.
You're missing that he's not on a top 25 P5 team so therefore he couldn't possibly be better than those other guys and his performance "wasn't as important".
Matakevich from Temple deservedly won it last year. Not a P5 team, but they were ranked for half the year.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

1401973 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Matakevich from Temple deservedly won it last year. Not a P5 team, but they were ranked for half the year.
Yeah, these awards aren't exclusively P5/ranked schools (remember Santos? or Marler?). The two Alabama guys are going to be top 10 picks. They're pretty good.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

I know most of these awards are biased (draft position or P5 conference are two great examples) but I was hoping something as obvious as Smart's play would get recognized.

Tanzel Smart AAC Defensive Player of the Year, First Team All American
Last edited by 1401973 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote:
1401973 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Yeah, these awards aren't exclusively P5/ranked schools (remember Santos? or Marler?). The two Alabama guys are going to be top 10 picks. They're pretty good.
What, a person can't sling a little anti-P5 sarcasm around here?? 8)

I do think kickers from bad - often G5 - teams have an advantage over the big guys though, as they probably get more chances to kick longer FGs, because their team tends to stall out more often beyond the red zone. Dominant offensive teams are scoring TDs and the kicker "only" gets to kick the XP. :mrgreen:

I would be shocked if he's not AAC defensive player of the year.... but not making the finals in those national awards is a (biased) snub.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Kickers are easy to quantify. The numbers translate no matter where you are playing. The level of competition is irrelevant. 20-20 is the same no matter what conference you are in.

They will justify leaving Smart out by saying that against better competition his numbers wouldn't have been as good. I would argue that if he was on a Michigan or Alabama he wouldn't be double and triple teamed on every play and his numbers would be better.

Smart is a beast and will playing on Sundays.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
1401973 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
What, a person can't sling a little anti-P5 sarcasm around here?? 8)

I do think kickers from bad - often G5 - teams have an advantage over the big guys though, as they probably get more chances to kick longer FGs, because their team tends to stall out more often beyond the red zone. Dominant offensive teams are scoring TDs and the kicker "only" gets to kick the XP. :mrgreen:

I would be shocked if he's not AAC defensive player of the year.... but not making the finals in those national awards is a (biased) snub.
Hard to be defensive player of the year if you don't win a game in conference. Like you, I have no way of evaluating whether he is one of the top 3 defensive players/lineman in the country.
fan since 45
Navigator Level

Post by fan since 45 »

Thank you for coming to Tulane, Mr. Smart.
Wavery
Navigator Level

Post by Wavery »

NJwave wrote:Kickers are easy to quantify. The numbers translate no matter where you are playing. The level of competition is irrelevant. 20-20 is the same no matter what conference you are in.

They will justify leaving Smart out by saying that against better competition his numbers wouldn't have been as good. I would argue that if he was on a Michigan or Alabama he wouldn't be double and triple teamed on every play and his numbers would be better.

Any idea where he is projected in the Draft? Yes I know it is still very early.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

GREAT college career Tanzel !!
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Yes, thanks Tanzel. - you've been a positive constant throughout your years at Tulane. Much appreciated. All the best moving forward.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Wavery wrote:
NJwave wrote:Kickers are easy to quantify. The numbers translate no matter where you are playing. The level of competition is irrelevant. 20-20 is the same no matter what conference you are in.

Any idea where he is projected in the Draft? Yes I know it is still very early.
Pre-season Mike Detillier projected him in the 2nd round. Haven't heard anything in a while on that.
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

Great to see TU players in the Pros. Tanzel should be starter in a year or two maybe Rookie year if he gets with the right Team. What are the odds of Rounds and Thompson pulling a Rob Kelly and making an NFL Roster.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

G-wave wrote:Great to see TU players in the Pros. Tanzel should be starter in a year or two maybe Rookie year if he gets with the right Team. What are the odds of Rounds and Thompson pulling a Rob Kelly and making an NFL Roster.
Smart is a 4th round projected. Rounds will be a FA and will make a taxi squad; I expect LT to make a run like Rob Kelley somewhere. I think Lazedrick is a better RB than Rob. We've gone from QBU to RBU.
Plan your work, work your plan.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I always though L. Thompson had untapped potential. Not particularly well used by either CJ or WF (although I understand that he was injured some which hampered his progress). If I were an NFL club I would give him a hard look as a FA.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

If you understand he was injured some then you understand that he wasn't badly used by either CJ or WF. This will turn into another "why didn't we use Albert Williams more" episode. Answer in both cases: the player got hurt and we had other good players on hand.

What counts is that Lazedrick and Josh Rounds helped carry us to a win in their last game. Man, was Josh Rounds good this year. Put that guy on Chris Scelfo's first team and that group goes bowling. Yep, I'm deadly serious.

Another senior went out with a big play on Saturday: Richard Allen, with a blocked field goal.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

They'all came to play Saturday. Great to see that.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Tanzel has been getting noticed by scouts for his build, explosiveness, etc. during Senior Bowl practice this week. A lot of scouts tweeting about him.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

waverider wrote:Tanzel has been getting noticed by scouts for his build, explosiveness, etc. during Senior Bowl practice this week. A lot of scouts tweeting about him.
he got into a scrape with an LSU guy at practice.. Guillory posted the video of it on nola.com
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Johnny Mac wrote:
waverider wrote:Tanzel has been getting noticed by scouts for his build, explosiveness, etc. during Senior Bowl practice this week. A lot of scouts tweeting about him.
he got into a scrape with an LSU guy at practice.. Guillory posted the video of it on nola.com
A nice way to round out a college career.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

(I didn't think this was worthy of its own thread) Tanzel is going against CJ who is the WR coach for the North team in the Senior Bowl.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson