Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:13 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5826
Location: Gretna, LA
PeteRasche wrote:
Wouldn't that be harder on the players because they couldn't get picked up by another team who wanted them and still get a little preseason camp to practice? Now if they get cut, it's the start of the season and they'd really be behind the 8 ball in terms of getting a decent shot elsewhere. I realize those cut generally aren't guys who are going to make an impact elsewhere but occasionally there might be a guy who fits another team's needs better or maybe fills an injury spot better than the guys that team had to cut.

The theory (according to the NFL) is that it'll give marginal guys more of a chance to make an impression with their original team. I don't really buy it; there's always so much shuffling at each cut down that the whole thing just seems like a strange attempt to fix something that isn't broken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:30 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2273
It seems like it gives each team a full compliment of guys that aren't making the roster to run out there in he last preseason game.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:13 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 18974
Location: Cincinnati, OH
MattK wrote:
It seems like it gives each team a full compliment of guys that aren't making the roster to run out there in he last preseason game.

Fair point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:35 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 7948
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
Nico being interviewed after last night's game.



FS'54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:32 am
Posts: 1859
Location: Cincinnati, OH
GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Wouldn't that be harder on the players because they couldn't get picked up by another team who wanted them and still get a little preseason camp to practice? Now if they get cut, it's the start of the season and they'd really be behind the 8 ball in terms of getting a decent shot elsewhere. I realize those cut generally aren't guys who are going to make an impact elsewhere but occasionally there might be a guy who fits another team's needs better or maybe fills an injury spot better than the guys that team had to cut.

The theory (according to the NFL) is that it'll give marginal guys more of a chance to make an impression with their original team. I don't really buy it; there's always so much shuffling at each cut down that the whole thing just seems like a strange attempt to fix something that isn't broken.


It does give the guys more of a chance to make their original team/practice squad. The guys that are cut on the traditional "first wave" of cuts rarely got picked up. This gives those a few more chances to make an impression or fill in for an injury. Also, the ones that were cut and did make it onto another training camp roster were even less likely to stick to the 53 roster and PS. They really only had about a week to 10 days to make an impression, and in that time frame most teams are already in regular season mode and looking at prep not development. Once teams start filling out PS rosters there is a little more time for teams to figure out if they want someone new or keep their own. I expect the time between cut and regular season teams are all going to bring in the max number of players they can for tryouts. I think the teams would rather evaluate the players then (along with what they saw in games) than try and do it those last few days of training camp.

It also does give teams more bodies to use in the last pre-season game and to not use as many 53 type guys. On the flip side though, that does give those individuals more time on tape, but it helps the 53 more.

It will be interesting to see if there is any change to the number of claims after the final cut now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:19 am 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:24 am
Posts: 29862
Location: Chattanooga, TN
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/08/washington-redskins-rookie-nico-marley-grandfather-bob-marley-karaoke-singing-nfl


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:10 am 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:24 am
Posts: 29862
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Skins cut 8 yesterday (need to cut 29 more). Nico was not one oft them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:39 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:46 am
Posts: 2891
Released. Hope he make a ps somewhere.

https://twitter.com/Nico2Marley/status/ ... 9217328128


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:37 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20018
Location: North Kenner
wave-em in wrote:
Released. Hope he make a ps somewhere.

https://twitter.com/Nico2Marley/status/ ... 9217328128

From the comments in that tweet it looks like the fans took a liking to him

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:34 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 19984
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Title of Washington Post article said "fan favorite cut from team, leaves classy goodbye on Twitter"

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:25 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:50 am
Posts: 7118
Location: new orleans, la
Doesn't look like Nico will make Redskins practice roster, as they signed 10 guys.

There is a new rule about vested veterans this year, so apparently some more moves will be made after the 1st game - don't think that will help Nico, but you never know.

Sure wish he would end up somewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:17 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5826
Location: Gretna, LA
noladave wrote:
Doesn't look like Nico will make Redskins practice roster, as they signed 10 guys.

There is a new rule about vested veterans this year, so apparently some more moves will be made after the 1st game - don't think that will help Nico, but you never know.

Sure wish he would end up somewhere.

Might need to prove himself in the CFL for a year or two, like he undersized guy the Saints put on their practice roster (Bighill). Hope he latches on in the NFL this year, but I am confident he will take the long road if need be.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group