Andy Cannizaro

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Andy Cannizaro

Unread post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Andy Cannizaro

Unread post by TUPF »

You had to link that, huh? Cue the woulda coulda shoulda crowd.

Hope Andy beats the corndogs because, well, it's LSU!
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

and thus it begins :lol:

this will be popcorn worthy soon.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

:jerry:
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Because we haven't had enough Cannizaro around here...

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/ ... i_sta.html

Actually mentions Tulane in this article (go figure).
"I think everything works out for a reason, I really do," Cannizaro said. "I loved the time that I spent playing at Tulane University. I have my degree hanging up on the wall. I'm really proud of the fact that I played baseball at Tulane and graduated from Tulane and wish that program nothing but the best of luck.

"I think everything happens for a reason and I really, truly believe I have the best head-coaching job in America."
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Interesting that AD of Miss. State Cohen talked in broad terms with Cannizaro about becoming head coach of the Bulldogs even before the former AD was replaced by Cohen. we are talking weeks before either the Tulane or Miss. State jobs came open. Cannizaro had an inkling Cohen could become AD and that he as new AD wanted to interview Andy for the Miss. State job. Also, Miss State is 4-8 down the stretch run of this baseball season. They won't host a regional and Tulane has the exact same number of Top 50 wins as the Bulldogs. Only difference in record (against a tougher strength of schedule for Tulane btw) is the Wave's horrific start. I have faith Tulane's coaches can fix that starting next season. Jewett may prove to be a better hire than Andy when the future (which remains unwritten at this point to quote Joe Strummer) plays out.
visualmagic
President's Circle

randymc wrote:Interesting that AD of Miss. State Cohen talked in broad terms with Cannizaro about becoming head coach of the Bulldogs even before the former AD was replaced by Cohen. we are talking weeks before either the Tulane or Miss. State jobs came open. Cannizaro had an inkling Cohen could become AD and that he as new AD wanted to interview Andy for the Miss. State job. Also, Miss State is 4-8 down the stretch run of this baseball season. They won't host a regional and Tulane has the exact same number of Top 50 wins as the Bulldogs. Only difference in record (against a tougher strength of schedule for Tulane btw) is the Wave's horrific start. I have faith Tulane's coaches can fix that starting next season. Jewett may prove to be a better hire than Andy when the future (which remains unwritten at this point to quote Joe Strummer) plays out.
I think you're timeline may be off. The Tulane job came open long before the Miss St job.
Mississippi state didn't have a job opening until November.

Miss state isn't a very good team this year. No pitching depth, 22 players on the active roster.
And still they were in position to win the SEC going into the last weekend
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

you are right about the published dates of hires of course ... All I am suggesting is that the job offer to Andy was not a bolt of lightning out of the blue in November. Cannizaro knew of Cohen having interest in him for months.
Cohen and Cannizaro had a relationship dating back four years to when Andy was a scout, and saw each other frequently on the recruiting trail once Andy was at LSU, including before The Tulane job came open last summer.
Stricklin was contacted about the Florida AD job in June (before Jewett's hire in mid-July and before Pierce had left Tulane for Texas even).
Cohen's interest and even front runner status for the Bulldog AD gig was known long before Stricklin's Sept. hiring at Fla., as was Cohen's interest in Cannizaro's coaching future.
Cohen and Cannizaro talked about the Miss. State job before Stricklin was officially hired in September at Florida.
A lot went on with backroom chats outside of the obvious dates of Jewett being hired in July and Cannizaro going to State in November. We will never know all that was said and exactly when.
I'd rather have Jewett than Cannizaro as Tulane's coach is my main point.
visualmagic
President's Circle

randymc wrote:I'd rather have Jewett than Cannizaro as Tulane's coach is my main point.
Any particular reason?
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

recruiting skill ... excellent coaching tree coming from Vandy under Tim Corbin who I think is one of the top 5 coaches in America. I like how Jewett wants to schedule a top 20 opponent list nationally every year to play against.
Jewett will grow into the job. We were six wins away this year from being in a regional. The poor start (make that horrific start) is to blame. Since then, Tulane has won 60 percent of the time even with lousy pitching.
I'd consider changing the pitching coach before next year, although others say the pitching coach should get a pass this year cause of the woeful pitching depth we had.
visualmagic
President's Circle

I hope he changes the pitching coach as well. If you remember, Dickinson wasn't his 1st choice. The guy we thought he'd hired has a much better résumé
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Leave it to us to hire a coach that's 0-4 (soon to be 0-5) against lsu this season. Oh wait. Our (last 2) coach(es) is (are) undefeated against them :mrgreen:

I kid and the "I'd rather go 2-45 if the two wins are against lsu" crowd is still happy and believe me, I am happy anytime we beat them in anything, BUT, I think I'd rather be in a super regional right now.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

waverider wrote:Leave it to us to hire a coach that's 0-4 (soon to be 0-5) against lsu this season. Oh wait. Our (last 2) coach(es) is (are) undefeated against them :mrgreen:

I kid and the "I'd rather go 2-45 if the two wins are against lsu" crowd is still happy and believe me, I am happy anytime we beat them in anything, BUT, I think I'd rather be in a super regional right now.
Oh, you think?
visualmagic
President's Circle

https://twitter.com/hailstatebb/status/ ... 9388322817
VIDEO | National Player of the Year @Brent_Rooker19 had high praise for @CoachCannizaro after last night's game

#HailState