France going to Mississippi State

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: France going to Mississippi State

Post by PeteRasche »

Perspective: I love Tulane. I had such a great time at Tulane that I stayed despite having options to go to other (large conference, big name, successful in hoops) schools. I was sitting the bench under Perry Clark. But I had been through hell and back with my teammates, coming in to start a team from scratch, losing big, then winning big, having the highest highs and the lowest lows. I didn't want to leave.

After 1993, all those guys were graduating. Being the only redshirt, I wasn't. That meant that my teammates in arms were all leaving. Yeah, I loved the younger guys too (Kim, Carlin, Makeba, etc.), but it was clear from the top ten national class coming in that things were changing big time.

Fifth year graduate transfers (with no sitting out) were not an option then. But as I sat at lunch with a recruit at English Turn, and watched ESPN talk about Bobby Cremins leaving Georgia Tech for South Carolina and how Tulane's Perry Clark headed the list of probable candidates, what motivation did I have to stay? Headed into a fifth year with a new core of teammates and possibly a new coach? I had like two classes left to graduate and could easily have taken them that upcoming summer and been done. Clark probably would have welcomed another free scholarship... heck, he considered mine a waste I'm sure.

So France is in a situation where most of his fellow teammates have left in the past two years, a new coaching staff came in who does things very differently, the past year under said coach went poorly, and next year the team will be completely and utterly different, filled with total strangers. He's flooded with offers to play at top programs with amazing facilities. He's likely going to be drafted so maybe he's not worried about the academic side. And it's possible that there have been scholarship money discussions hinting, possibly stating, that he won't get nearly as much money help next year. That's not uncommon in college baseball, that players are basically told they need to be out early because their money is needed for recruiting.

My point is, think about what could actually be going on before you blindly use this as another feather in your anti-Jewett caps.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

A year ago we were ranked most of the year, won a conference title and were having discussions about hosting a regional. We lost two top draft picks and two weekend starters but had a lot coming back. I don't look at the lack of guys drafted as a sign of our talent level. Sign me up every year for experienced players that weren't drafted in Williams, Hope, Wilsey, Montalbano, Brown, Kaplan, Dehart, and Colletti and a terrific sophomore in 'Spoon. We started the season with a weekend rotation I loved of Merrill, France and Ross Massey with Solesky, Colletti, Sam B. and Andrews expected to contribute. Bulllen depth was the only expected weakness.

Who knows what next year brings but the talent argument this past year is just not valid.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

PeteRasche wrote:Perspective: I love Tulane. I had such a great time at Tulane that I stayed despite having options to go to other (large conference, big name, successful in hoops) schools. I was sitting the bench under Perry Clark. But I had been through hell and back with my teammates, coming in to start a team from scratch, losing big, then winning big, having the highest highs and the lowest lows. I didn't want to leave.

After 1993, all those guys were graduating. Being the only redshirt, I wasn't. That meant that my teammates in arms were all leaving. Yeah, I loved the younger guys too (Kim, Carlin, Makeba, etc.), but it was clear from the top ten national class coming in that things were changing big time.

Fifth year graduate transfers (with no sitting out) were not an option then. But as I sat at lunch with a recruit at English Turn, and watched ESPN talk about Bobby Cremins leaving Georgia Tech for South Carolina and how Tulane's Perry Clark headed the list of probable candidates, what motivation did I have to stay? Headed into a fifth year with a new core of teammates and possibly a new coach? I had like two classes left to graduate and could easily have taken them that upcoming summer and been done. Clark probably would have welcomed another free scholarship... heck, he considered mine a waste I'm sure.

So France is in a situation where most of his fellow teammates have left in the past two years, a new coaching staff came in who does things very differently, the past year under said coach went poorly, and next year the team will be completely and utterly different, filled with total strangers. He's flooded with offers to play at top programs with amazing facilities. He's likely going to be drafted so maybe he's not worried about the academic side. And it's possible that there have been scholarship money discussions hinting, possibly stating, that he won't get nearly as much money help next year. That's not uncommon in college baseball, that players are basically told they need to be out early because their money is needed for recruiting.

My point is, think about what could actually be going on before you blindly use this as another feather in your anti-Jewett caps.
JP was offered full scholarship money from all the schools that were interested in him including Tulane
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

NJwave wrote:A year ago we were ranked most of the year, won a conference title and were having discussions about hosting a regional. We lost two top draft picks and two weekend starters but had a lot coming back. I don't look at the lack of guys drafted as a sign of our talent level. Sign me up every year for experienced players that weren't drafted in Williams, Hope, Wilsey, Montalbano, Brown, Kaplan, Dehart, and Colletti and a terrific sophomore in 'Spoon. We started the season with a weekend rotation I loved of Merrill, France and Ross Massey with Solesky, Colletti, Sam B. and Andrews expected to contribute. Bulllen depth was the only expected weakness.

Who knows what next year brings but the talent argument this past year is just not valid.
Hunter, Grant Brown, Jeremy, Corey, JP, Spoon, Ted, and Ross were all players that could have been drafted. Corey and Ted were drafted, Hunter passed for medical school, two were injured, JP will be drafted and was just pursued by every blue blood program in the country, Spoon will be a high draft pick if he can master lefties, and Ross will be drafted (he will regain his form if they allow the young man to work with the right people - he can flat out pitch as was proven under Pierce). We had the best defensive second baseman in the country, our 3rd baseman and DH hit 26 HR's between the two of them, and Lex hit .303 with 9 HR's while playing a terrific LF.

If you read this board enough, you would think Jewett inherited Coppin State material. He inherited a TALENTED veteran team, tried to instill his culture, did not wisely use his practice time, did not utilize the resources around him (in particular the sports psychologist), mismanaged game time decisions or deferred to others, and was not the leader he should have been (or to put it another way, his motivational skills need improvement). Coach Jewett is a good guy, he just has a lot to learn. But to say we had mediocre talent is ridiculous. We put ourselves in contention despite the coaching and that is a testament to the talent we did have (one caveat, Billy can coach his tail off).

Look at LSU right now, they are 3 games from winning it all. We beat them twice and chased the Hess kid in one of the games who by the way is the talk of the World Series right now. And LSU has largely done this with 3 pitchers - Lange, Poche, and Hess. Quality coaching matters!
double d
Coach Level

Post by double d »

tjtlja wrote:
NJwave wrote:A year ago we were ranked most of the year, won a conference title and were having discussions about hosting a regional. We lost two top draft picks and two weekend starters but had a lot coming back. I don't look at the lack of guys drafted as a sign of our talent level. Sign me up every year for experienced players that weren't drafted in Williams, Hope, Wilsey, Montalbano, Brown, Kaplan, Dehart, and Colletti and a terrific sophomore in 'Spoon. We started the season with a weekend rotation I loved of Merrill, France and Ross Massey with Solesky, Colletti, Sam B. and Andrews expected to contribute. Bulllen depth was the only expected weakness.

Hunter, Grant Brown, Jeremy, Corey, JP, Spoon, Ted, and Ross were all players that could have been drafted. Corey and Ted were drafted, Hunter passed for medical school, two were injured, JP will be drafted and was just pursued by every blue blood program in the country, Spoon will be a high draft pick if he can master lefties, and Ross will be drafted (he will regain his form if they allow the young man to work with the right people - he can flat out pitch as was proven under Pierce). We had the best defensive second baseman in the country, our 3rd baseman and DH hit 26 HR's between the two of them, and Lex hit .303 with 9 HR's while playing a terrific LF.

If you read this board enough, you would think Jewett inherited Coppin State material. He inherited a TALENTED veteran team, tried to instill his culture, did not wisely use his practice time, did not utilize the resources around him (in particular the sports psychologist), mismanaged game time decisions or deferred to others, and was not the leader he should have been (or to put it another way, his motivational skills need improvement). Coach Jewett is a good guy, he just has a lot to learn. But to say we had mediocre talent is ridiculous. We put ourselves in contention despite the coaching and that is a testament to the talent we did have (one caveat, Billy can coach his tail off).

Look at LSU right now, they are 3 games from winning it all. We beat them twice and chased the Hess kid in one of the games who by the way is the talk of the World Series right now. And LSU has largely done this with 3 pitchers - Lange, Poche, and Hess. Quality coaching matters!

So true!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

BACONWAVE wrote:It is very simple why he left....
1. Tuition
2. Piss poor recruiting by Pierce
3. Said piss poor recruiting means all new kids & no depth

Like I have said before. Team totally appeared to tune new staff out & I understand since 4th staff since they got here. They were winning but I think Coach Jewett had a lousy start since hired so late & had little recruiting & chance to mesh with AN ENTIRE NEW STAFF. He knew what he was looking at when he got here & knew recruiting was horrible. Pierce won b/c he has had the same staff for years & came in here knowing he was basically gone soon & gave no Shiz about our future. I still cannot fathom how some people think someone can just walk in & win while sacrificing THEIR CORE VALUES they are trying to instill. If the seniors felt this was BS then so be it. But Jewett has shown he wins wherever he goes & can recruit at Private schools so just give the dude a chance. Like he came here a said" YESSSS lets screw Tulane now...MMOOOHAHHAHA". Geez
Were it not for like 17 coaches turning down the Texas job, Pierce would still be here so the "he knew he was leaving and so he didn't recruit" theory is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If you want to leave a place for a better job, not recruiting isn't a good way to go about it.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Tulane49 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Perspective: I love Tulane. I had such a great time at Tulane that I stayed despite having options to go to other (large conference, big name, successful in hoops) schools. I was sitting the bench under Perry Clark. But I had been through hell and back with my teammates, coming in to start a team from scratch, losing big, then winning big, having the highest highs and the lowest lows. I didn't want to leave.

JP was offered full scholarship money from all the schools that were interested in him including Tulane
Not to mention cutting the scholarship money of your best pitcher isn't exactly a good rationale for defending the coach.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

I've considered it all. Being able to hold on to your best players is still part of the coaches job. If Tulane has a good year next year we'll all get over this.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

ml wave wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:It is very simple why he left....
1. Tuition
2. Piss poor recruiting by Pierce
3. Said piss poor recruiting means all new kids & no depth

Like I have said before. Team totally appeared to tune new staff out & I understand since 4th staff since they got here. They were winning but I think Coach Jewett had a lousy start since hired so late & had little recruiting & chance to mesh with AN ENTIRE NEW STAFF. He knew what he was looking at when he got here & knew recruiting was horrible. Pierce won b/c he has had the same staff for years & came in here knowing he was basically gone soon & gave no Shiz about our future. I still cannot fathom how some people think someone can just walk in & win while sacrificing THEIR CORE VALUES they are trying to instill. If the seniors felt this was BS then so be it. But Jewett has shown he wins wherever he goes & can recruit at Private schools so just give the dude a chance. Like he came here a said" YESSSS lets screw Tulane now...MMOOOHAHHAHA". Geez
Were it not for like 17 coaches turning down the Texas job, Pierce would still be here so the "he knew he was leaving and so he didn't recruit" theory is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If you want to leave a place for a better job, not recruiting isn't a good way to go about it.

He had his eye on RICE all along but their 100 year old coach was not ready to leave. You don't think he knew how bad his pitching would be? Why did his ASST COACH bolt before he got the Texas job? So why didn't he recruit then since I'll take your bait?
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

visualmagic wrote:I've considered it all. Being able to hold on to your best players is still part of the coaches job. If Tulane has a good year next year we'll all get over this.
Considering that we had 2 or 3 good pitchers, 1 or 2 "ok" pitchers, and a bunch of strugglers, if I were the coach, I'd prefer to let my best pitcher go if I could use that scholarship money to bring in 3 or 4 really good back-fillers. Having a stable of good prospects can cover you for a lot more innings than one "ace."
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Roller wrote:
visualmagic wrote:I've considered it all. Being able to hold on to your best players is still part of the coaches job. If Tulane has a good year next year we'll all get over this.
Considering that we had 2 or 3 good pitchers, 1 or 2 "ok" pitchers, and a bunch of strugglers, if I were the coach, I'd prefer to let my best pitcher go if I could use that scholarship money to bring in 3 or 4 really good back-fillers. Having a stable of good prospects can cover you for a lot more innings than one "ace."
I think you're the only one who feels that way. If you're letting your ace go, you better be getting a hell of a haul in return. I also think you're wrong to assume that you can use his scholarship to get 3 or 4 really good players. If it is that easy to recruit, then we'll be playing at this time next year
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

visualmagic wrote:
Roller wrote:
I think you're the only one who feels that way. If you're letting your ace go, you better be getting a hell of a haul in return. I also think you're wrong to assume that you can use his scholarship to get 3 or 4 really good players. If it is that easy to recruit, then we'll be playing at this time next year
An "ace is basically good for one time a week. Three or Four good pitchers can keep you alive all week long. Another way to see it, when you require good arms from the pen (as we did A LOT, but didn't have), it's nice to have several dependable choices. As long as they are good, with no more than a small drop-off from the "ace," I go with volume. Besides, with more new arms to discover, we just might find that at least one of them is even better than the "ace" we lost. I'm not going to fall on my sword over a "bird in the hand" bet.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

If we can get 3-4 good pitchers, including one that is even better than France using only the JP France scholarship, then that is in fact a great trade off. The likelihood of that happening though is slim to none.
double d
Coach Level

Post by double d »

Getting 3 or 4 in the Merrill/France mold with only a small amount of scholarship money available would be a Houdini feat. Better use some of it to try to hold on to Solesky.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

double d wrote:Getting 3 or 4 in the Merrill/France mold with only a small amount of scholarship money available would be a Houdini feat. Better use some of it to try to hold on to Solesky.
Solesky scholarship money was cut
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Is cutting Solesky's money a wise move? I say no.

If JP wasn't offered a full ride to return, would you have moved money around to create that slot? I would have kept that money on the side just in case JP was not drafted. JP is worth it. This is much more risky because you may lose future players given the limited pool of money. At private schools, the money for senior and fifth year guys is really never planned on. Coaches promise you this when they are recruiting you, but it is not in the budget. Pierce's hands were tied down in recruiting because of the large senior group that came back. If we allowed stacking, that would not be an issue. I really believe that is the reason Sean Allen took the Alabama job. I don't think he believed you could recruit at Tulane and going back on your word or lying to kids made him very uncomfortable and understandably so.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

tjtlja wrote:Is cutting Solesky's money a wise move? I say no.

If JP wasn't offered a full ride to return, would you have moved money around to create that slot? I would have kept that money on the side just in case JP was not drafted. JP is worth it. This is much more risky because you may lose future players given the limited pool of money. At private schools, the money for senior and fifth year guys is really never planned on. Coaches promise you this when they are recruiting you, but it is not in the budget. Pierce's hands were tied down in recruiting because of the large senior group that came back. If we allowed stacking, that would not be an issue. I really believe that is the reason Sean Allen took the Alabama job. I don't think he believed you could recruit at Tulane and going back on your word or lying to kids made him very uncomfortable and understandably so.
That is my point about everything. Dannen hired Jewett b/c of his specific dealings with recruiting & its hardships at Tulane. He obviously felt our former Tulane players, who were also looked at, could not handle this hurdle that even Pierce couldn't. Pierce shouldn't get a free pass b/c he won for the NOW when he didn't want to address the elephant in the room. So why the heck are we not going to let Jewett have a chance to do what he feels he has to do using his experience? He just couldn't worry about last year only. He had to try to look at the FUTURE while handling a new staff for his new gig as well as dealing with a ton of seniors who did not want change. Being a head coach is not about the NOW sometimes especially dealing with how Tulane deals handles the money/schollys.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

But Jewett's dealings with recruiting at Vandy aren't remotely similar to what he has to do at Tulane.

There's little truth to the belief that Pierce couldn't recruit. He didn't have much scholarship money to work with, most of the money is just freeing up with this senior class.
Nobody is giving Pierce a free pass. We are judging him on what he did while he was here.

I do find it funny that you call us out for giving Pierce a free pass while you're currently giving Jewett a free pass.
Since it's not about the now for you, when will you start holding Jewett accountable?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

BACONWAVE wrote:

That is my point about everything. Dannen hired Jewett b/c of his specific dealings with recruiting & its hardships at Tulane. He obviously felt our former Tulane players, who were also looked at, could not handle this hurdle that even Pierce couldn't. Pierce shouldn't get a free pass b/c he won for the NOW when he didn't want to address the elephant in the room. So why the heck are we not going to let Jewett have a chance to do what he feels he has to do using his experience? He just couldn't worry about last year only. He had to try to look at the FUTURE while handling a new staff for his new gig as well as dealing with a ton of seniors who did not want change. Being a head coach is not about the NOW sometimes especially dealing with how Tulane deals handles the money/schollys.
Baconwave, lets get some things straight -

1. Dannen never hired Andy or Matt because he was never going to hire them. Their interviews were nothing more than pleasing us fans. Now we have Andy & Jake at MSU, Matt at SELA, Kingston at South Florida, and Schloss at TCU. All from the Rick Jones tree and all winners and we have none of them.

2. Pierce won because he was a helluva coach. Same reason he won at Sam Houston & his first year at Texas.

3. Jewett failed miserably in his first year - no passes for that. And this nonsense I keep reading about the seniors wanted to do it their way. These are 22 and 23 year old young men who have played for numerous coaches at Tulane, other universities, summer collegiate teams, high school, and travel ball teams. Given the success they had and the Tulane degrees they earned, they could smell a good coach a mile away.
Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

All this crap about you can only use your ace once a week is hogwash. If I'm nit mistaken, LSU's Poche won 2 games in 3 days. So to just let your best pitcher go because you could use it for more depth is assisnine. With all this limit crap about only so much scholly money, the only way to work it out if Tulane won't let the coaches stack, is to find 4 two way players who are great pitchers and give them full rides.After that just divide up the remaining money on the rest. But, I would think, if tulane was smart the administration would give full academic $$ in the form of grants to the smart guys who can qualify.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Wavemania wrote:If I'm nit mistaken, LSU's Poche won 2 games in 3 days.
You're fired if you think that is a sustainable viable plan.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

tjtlja wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:

Baconwave, lets get some things straight -

1. Dannen never hired Andy or Matt because he was never going to hire them. Their interviews were nothing more than pleasing us fans. Now we have Andy & Jake at MSU, Matt at SELA, Kingston at South Florida, and Schloss at TCU. All from the Rick Jones tree and all winners and we have none of them.

2. Pierce won because he was a helluva coach. Same reason he won at Sam Houston & his first year at Texas.

3. Jewett failed miserably in his first year - no passes for that. And this nonsense I keep reading about the seniors wanted to do it their way. These are 22 and 23 year old young men who have played for numerous coaches at Tulane, other universities, summer collegiate teams, high school, and travel ball teams. Given the success they had and the Tulane degrees they earned, they could smell a good coach a mile away.
OK I'll play...
1. Have Andy or Matt ever recruited much less with the way Tulane handles tuition/Schollys? I don't care if they can win at whatever school they are at. You can't say Pierce & his disciple Jones couldn't lie to kids about money being there & then be mad b/c they gave job to someone who has recruiting experience. He had the most EXPERIENCE at what is Tulane's way of trying to do things. Andy is apparently a good coach. But could he have done what Pierce couldn't & recruit here?

2. Never said Pierce was not a good coach. He didn't recruit here which is a FACT. Weather it was Seniors tying up money or not he knew this coming in. He had the same staff with him for several years. How long has Jewett had his staff for? Like since last September? Nobody said he didn't screw up. We get the fact the team was Senior heavy HITTERS!!!! But no pitching recruiting killed us. He needs time to mesh with his coaches, recruit players for his way, & find ways to recruit with our limitations. He had no time for this last year so don't even try to say he did. Who the heck could we have gotten that wouldn't have messed up along the way with their first head coaching gig here at Tulane? I figure he needs at least 1 recruiting period before we hang him from a tree. Now if we regress & no changes are made in game next year then have this argument. Our weaknesses last year were known before the season so this year was not exactly a shocker.

3. Once again like I have said before.... Seniors who have played numerous games all over the country couldn't get themselves ready for the season & people are blaming lack of scrimmages? If seniors had no problem listening to him then why are you saying they thought he was a bad coach? Vandy players still praise him all the time. Hunter Williams credited him this year for hitting tips. You can't have it both ways. They are 23 & 24 yr old experienced men but someone wasn't there to throw them live pitching? I get they are mad b/c they had high hopes this year. But sometimes Reality Bites!!
Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

Easier to be an assistant hitting coach than a head coach.
Windy, was just bringing up how some didnt think it was a good idea to keep JP on a full ride. ONce you get in a regional, you can win with 2 dominant pitchers.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Baconwave, you are clueless on the live pitching and scrimmage issue. Jewett actually admitted on his radio show that it was true that they did less scrimmages than normal and he agreed that it probably led to the early struggles at the plate.

I don't think you understand the difference between facing live pitching and taking batting practice.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

visualmagic wrote:Baconwave, you are clueless on the live pitching and scrimmage issue. Jewett actually admitted on his radio show that it was true that they did less scrimmages than normal and he agreed that it probably led to the early struggles at the plate.

I don't think you understand the difference between facing live pitching and taking batting practice.

No I do. But we were not a good contact hitting team to begin with. He said to our club that he knew we were too dependent on power & did not have enough contact hitting to do some of the stuff he wanted to do. I think he said that as a way to protect some of our players. If we struggle with power then we have nothing. No team speed & too many K's with no pitching depth means .500 club. It shouldn't take a month for seniors to remember how to hit pitchers.