Rick Jones Coaching Tree

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Rick Jones Coaching Tree

Unread post by tjtlja »

Rick Jones coaching tree continues to grow -

TCU -Schlossnagle
South Carolina - Kingston
Miss State - Cannizaro, Gautreau
SELA - Riser, Latham
USF - Mohl
Penn State - Rob Cooper
New Mexico - Gouldsmith (assistant)
UNLV - Sutter (assistant)

Cleary - Nationals Scout
Owings - Mariners organization
Gomes, Cressand - Dodgers organization
Shooter Hunt - National Crosschecker

Very impressive list and all teams we were better than during most of Coach Jones era. This is legendary stuff. Also, Kendall Rogers with D1 baseball mentioned it tonight via social media.
Last edited by tjtlja on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
doncecco
President's Circle

Re: Rick Jones Coaching Tree

Unread post by doncecco »

tjtlja wrote:
Very impressive list and all teams we were better than during most of Coach Jones era.
I get your point, but you cannot really say this about USC and State, especially SC with 6 CWS appearances and 2 NCs from 2002-2012. Even State has more CWS appearances and a runner-up during RJs time on Willow St.
Bring home da Wave!
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Bham Wave »

Sad that none of that tree includes anyone at Tulane.......
Roll Wave Roll!!!
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Well we had a few and everyone was complaining about hiring former players.
Victory is never permanent
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

doncecco wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Very impressive list and all teams we were better than during most of Coach Jones era.
I get your point, but you cannot really say this about USC and State, especially SC with 6 CWS appearances and 2 NCs from 2002-2012. Even State has more CWS appearances and a runner-up during RJs time on Willow St.
I understand what you are saying, but I was looking at Coach Jones complete body of work and until Katrina, we were in the same sentence with any of those schools (I think the tree is even bigger if you take that damn hurricane out of the equation which we can't). Coach Jones was the most influential coach Tulane has had in my lifetime and he is the reason these guys are in the positions they currently serve. And people in college baseball circles are quickly starting to point this out. I will go a step further and say Turchin should have his name on the field/stadium somewhere as a permanent part of Tulane baseball history.
Last edited by tjtlja on Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

tjtlja wrote:
doncecco wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
I understand what you are saying, but I was looking at Coach Jones complete body of work and until Katrina, we were in the same sentence with any of those schools (I think the tree is even bigger if you take that damn hurricane out of the equation which we can't). Coach Jones was the most influential coach Tulane has had in my lifetime and he is the reason these guys are in the positions they currently serve. And people in college baseball circles are quickly started to point this out. I will go a step further and say Turchin should have his name on the field/stadium somewhere as a permanent part of history.
Yes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

In 2005, I think every coach on the list above would have taken the Tulane job immediately if available. Fast forward 12 years, how many of these coaches would take the Tulane job today?
LondonWave
Coach Level

Unread post by LondonWave »

tjtlja wrote:In 2005, I think every coach on the list above would have taken the Tulane job immediately if available. Fast forward 12 years, how many of these coaches would take the Tulane job today?
2005?

Pre or post August 29th?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

The job today has had enough time to move past Katrina, or adjust, unless you believe it hasn't. In either case, would love to hear opinions.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote:The job today has had enough time to move past Katrina, or adjust, unless you believe it hasn't. In either case, would love to hear opinions.
At this point, it's not Katrina doing harm to our program, it's the changes in the scholarship rules. We'd be in the same situation now even if Katrina hadn't happened.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Pete, I agree. But I think this is more on Tulane than anyone else. If need based income and athletic scholarships were allowed to be stacked, we would be on even footing with everyone else. With that being said, Coach Rick Jones found a way to beat the Tulane system, hire great coaches, recruit great players, and win. It can be done, but it takes a special AD to realize what type of person can do the job and a special coach to implement it. Is Troy Dannen that type of AD?
Wavery
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wavery »

Didn't Mike Romano scout for the Angels? He used to have a very good baseball program here on the Northshore. Not sure what he is up to these days. Did see him at a game this year.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

tjtlja wrote:
doncecco wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
I understand what you are saying, but I was looking at Coach Jones complete body of work and until Katrina, we were in the same sentence with any of those schools (I think the tree is even bigger if you take that damn hurricane out of the equation which we can't). Coach Jones was the most influential coach Tulane has had in my lifetime and he is the reason these guys are in the positions they currently serve. And people in college baseball circles are quickly starting to point this out. I will go a step further and say Turchin should have his name on the field/stadium somewhere as a permanent part of Tulane baseball history.
THIS. I will donate to this fundraiser! We need to put Coach Jones name at Turchin, a bust or something.

I think Coach Jones would get a kick out of it if we name that tree behind the outfield wall after him. He hated that it was out of place with the palms. We had to protest the potential tearing down of our tailgate tree lol. We almost lost our tree!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

DrHullabaloo wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
doncecco wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
THIS. I will donate to this fundraiser! We need to put Coach Jones name at Turchin, a bust or something.

I think Coach Jones would get a kick out of it if we name that tree behind the outfield wall after him. He hated that it was out of place with the palms. We had to protest the potential tearing down of our tailgate tree lol. We almost lost our tree!
1. A whole new meaning for his coaching "tree"!
2. So the palm trees are the ones that AREN'T out of place?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone