Justin Verlander and Kate Upton traded for Jake Rogers....

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Justin Verlander and Kate Upton traded for Jake Rogers....

Post by Baywave1 »

and a couple of throw ins. Well not really but Rogers will now be forever immortalized in baseball trivia. Tigers are cleaning house. I know it's hard to leave system of best team in AL and perhaps baseball but this may give him a quicker route to majors.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2052 ... oit-tigers
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Justin Verlander and Kate Upton traded for Jake Rogers..

Post by PeteRasche »

This would be an interesting topic for the non Tulane sports board but Jake's name is some DEEP trivia here. I don't think people will be asking who Verlander was traded for, like, ever.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote:This would be an interesting topic for the non Tulane sports board but Jake's name is some DEEP trivia here. I don't think people will be asking who Verlander was traded for, like, ever.
The scary part is that Mike Cameron's son is part of the trade. I think I'm getting old.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:This would be an interesting topic for the non Tulane sports board but Jake's name is some DEEP trivia here. I don't think people will be asking who Verlander was traded for, like, ever.
Nothing like being happy in the morning. It may be deep trivia but it's Kate Upton. It may not be forever for Jake Rogers but how about today?

As for the non-whimsical in our audience, I'm sure Tulane basketball and Luther Strange are on the tips of the tongues of many here.......
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

in the article I just read, Rogers was the second prospect mentioned... he is regarded as "a defensive whiz at catcher who this season grew into a slugger"... he was clearly someone the Tigers sought along with Franklin Perez

don't think there aren't people who'll remember for whom Verlander was traded for... some AAA pitching prospect whom the Tigers traded for Doyle Alexander in 1987 is in the Hall of Fame now... lots of Tigers fans think "DOH!" when you mention Alexander cost them John Smoltz.

since you brought up Kate Upton as well... I spend an inordinate amount of time in grocery store check out lines and she's on the cover of some magazine and the angle of the photo or the photoshopping of it makes her look slim... and this world doesn't need a slimmed down Kate Upton... keep those curves!!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Johnny Mac wrote:
in the article I just read, Rogers was the second prospect mentioned... he is regarded as "a defensive whiz at catcher who this season grew into a slugger"... he was clearly someone the Tigers sought along with Franklin Perez

don't think there aren't people who'll remember for whom Verlander was traded for... some AAA pitching prospect whom the Tigers traded for Doyle Alexander in 1987 is in the Hall of Fame now... lots of Tigers fans think "DOH!" when you mention Alexander cost them John Smoltz.
Absolutely correct. When the trade was made, SI went out there and remarked what a steal the TIGERS got, that the Braves were scammed. FWIW, Smoltz would never have been the pitcher he was if the Tigers had kept him. It is well known that they trying to $crew up his natural delivery. Mazzone taught him how to throw a slider and the rest is history. If Rogers makes it like we think he might, everyone will remember the trade, I assure you, JV is on the downside of his career and his numbers the last couple of seasons are good to mediocre. Plus he is starting to find his way onto the DL every now and then.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Rotorooter wrote:Absolutely correct. When the trade was made, SI went out there and remarked what a steal the TIGERS got, that the Braves were scammed. FWIW, Smoltz would never have been the pitcher he was if the Tigers had kept him. It is well known that they trying to $crew up his natural delivery. Mazzone taught him how to throw a slider and the rest is history. If Rogers makes it like we think he might, everyone will remember the trade, I assure you, JV is on the downside of his career and his numbers the last couple of seasons are good to mediocre. Plus he is starting to find his way onto the DL every now and then.
it wasn't as much Leo Mazzone as it was Dr. Jack Llewellyn who was able to inspire confidence in Smoltz through sports psychology

Llewellyn was a speaker at a conference I was at once and he was talking about confidence or the lack thereof and how people convince themselves they are going to fail before they start.. the example he used was "who here plays golf? OK... what do each of you do when you come to a water hole? You reach into the bag and take out a 'shag' ball, don't you? Why? You've just told yourself you're going to fail right there!" Every since then, I have never changed balls for a water hole... I've lost a bunch of good balls... but I've never thrown in the towel and thought "Yeah, I'm probably going to dunk one in the drink here.. so let's put way the Pro V 1 and get a Top Flight on the tee"
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:

since you brought up Kate Upton as well... I spend an inordinate amount of time in grocery store check out lines and she's on the cover of some magazine and the angle of the photo or the photoshopping of it makes her look slim... and this world doesn't need a slimmed down Kate Upton... keep those curves!!
You've got that a little backwards there, chief...people remember Doyle Alexander because of Smoltz not vice versa. In the same vein as Larry Andersen.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

You've got that a little backwards there, chief...people remember Doyle Alexander because of Smoltz not vice versa.
At the time of the trade, yes, but that's not his point. Everyone now knows it as the trade for Smoltz--Alexander is the after-thought.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:Absolutely correct. When the trade was made, SI went out there and remarked what a steal the TIGERS got, that the Braves were scammed. FWIW, Smoltz would never have been the pitcher he was if the Tigers had kept him. It is well known that they trying to $crew up his natural delivery. Mazzone taught him how to throw a slider and the rest is history. If Rogers makes it like we think he might, everyone will remember the trade, I assure you, JV is on the downside of his career and his numbers the last couple of seasons are good to mediocre. Plus he is starting to find his way onto the DL every now and then.
it wasn't as much Leo Mazzone as it was Dr. Jack Llewellyn who was able to inspire confidence in Smoltz through sports psychology

Llewellyn was a speaker at a conference I was at once and he was talking about confidence or the lack thereof and how people convince themselves they are going to fail before they start.. the example he used was "who here plays golf? OK... what do each of you do when you come to a water hole? You reach into the bag and take out a 'shag' ball, don't you? Why? You've just told yourself you're going to fail right there!" Every since then, I have never changed balls for a water hole... I've lost a bunch of good balls... but I've never thrown in the towel and thought "Yeah, I'm probably going to dunk one in the drink here.. so let's put way the Pro V 1 and get a Top Flight on the tee"
JM, Good example on the sports psychology front. I like Smoltz as an analyst/broadcaster too. He and Verducci definitely carry the water for Costas. Glad he is smart enough to let them do it.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Rotorooter wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

You've got that a little backwards there, chief...people remember Doyle Alexander because of Smoltz not vice versa.
At the time of the trade, yes, but that's not his point. Everyone now knows it as the trade for Smoltz--Alexander is the after-thought.
That's what I just said.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Saw Kate Upton's name in the title of the thread and was then disappointed when I opened it.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Sophandros wrote:Saw Kate Upton's name in the title of the thread and was then disappointed when I opened it.

Your welcome
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Appreciate your disappointment Soph ... 8)
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

gerryb323 wrote:
Sophandros wrote:Saw Kate Upton's name in the title of the thread and was then disappointed when I opened it.

Your welcome
I'd make some comment about that being totally inappropriate for a "family friendly" chat board.. but I just can't stop staring

all I can say is "thanks" for not hitting the fappening and finding her illicit photos and posting one here because then I'd get nothing done the rest of the day.. it's pretty marginal at this point already