Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:11 pm 
Coach Level

Shaun King is expected to be named the new QB coach at USF.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:44 pm 
Regent's Circle

Good for him; he already has a coach's build. :mrgreen:

More seriously, I could see him doing well as a coach. Best of luck to him (except when they play us, of course).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:13 pm 
Emerald Circle

I had no idea he was even interested in coaching; the sports commentator gig is certainly less stressful work (though I don't know if he was making that much). I wonder if he ever made that known to a Tulane coaching staff.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:54 pm 
Breaker Level

PeteRasche wrote:
I had no idea he was even interested in coaching; the sports commentator gig is certainly less stressful work (though I don't know if he was making that much). I wonder if he ever made that known to a Tulane coaching staff.

He was really a downer to follow on twitter if you were a Tulane fan. His lack of enthusiasm bordered on disdain. He was Duke 24/7, even during our games.

He perked up a bit after Fritz and Dannen got hired.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:06 pm 
Coach Level

DrHullabaloo wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

He was really a downer to follow on twitter if you were a Tulane fan. His lack of enthusiasm bordered on disdain. He was Duke 24/7, even during our games.

He perked up a bit after Fritz and Dannen got hired.

Basketball? Yes. He doesn't follow Duke football. He occasionally talked Tulane football, but we gave him nothing good to talk about and he sort of had a job with yahoosports covering college football and Tulane hasn't exactly been the topic of conversation. The most vocal he probably was about Tulane this year was when we were getting blown out by SMU. He was embarrassed and rightfully so. Not really sure what you wanted him to say. He talks Tulane any time it is even remotely relevant.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:01 am 
Emerald Circle

I pretty much agree with VM, though you'd like to see someone in his position try to use that podium to talk us up and even promote us. As a former athlete, I suppose you have pride in your alma mater up to a certain point and then you get fed up and throw in the towel. Shaun probably threw in the towel after seeing a few years of how RD was running things - I know I did (but I don't have a public podium so I don't really matter).
:dots:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:35 am 
Emerald Circle

He had a pic of him in Tulane clothes as his Twitter profile pic for a while and does tweet a good bit of Tulane related stuff.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:31 pm 
Emerald Circle

I always thought of Shaun King as pretty active in referencing Tulane whenever we got off to a good start (for us) or otherwise made positive news (new coaching hire, etc). We haven't given him massive ammo and it isn't his job to be a homer. What little I saw/read I felt we actually got a bit of homerism.....just not mountains.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:51 pm 
Regent's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
I always thought of Shaun King as pretty active in referencing Tulane whenever we got off to a good start (for us) or otherwise made positive news (new coaching hire, etc). We haven't given him massive ammo and it isn't his job to be a homer. What little I saw/read I felt we actually got a bit of homerism.....just not mountains.

This has been my impression, as well. He's also, if I remember right, mentioned that he was less than thrilled with Tulane's relations with former student-athletes in general under RD, which could have played a role in him not being more flagrantly a homer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:00 pm 
President's Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

This has been my impression, as well. He's also, if I remember right, mentioned that he was less than thrilled with Tulane's relations with former student-athletes in general under RD, which could have played a role in him not being more flagrantly a homer.

Wasn't King on the committee of former athletes that analyzed how Tulane can improve its Athletic Department and direction? Formed after the Review in 2004. Perhaps they came to the conclusion that Tulane needed to win more games and RD didn't like that. Too simple.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:44 pm 
Regent's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

Wasn't King on the committee of former athletes that analyzed how Tulane can improve its Athletic Department and direction? Formed after the Review in 2004. Perhaps they came to the conclusion that Tulane needed to win more games and RD didn't like that. Too simple.

Yeah, too basic & straight forward. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:07 pm 
President's Circle

So, does anyone know if Charlie Strong's gonna retain him on staff? Asking for... a friend. A Green Friend. :green wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:39 pm 
President's Circle

Bump. King will stay on staff under Strong and coach RBs.
https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/817877470607241219

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:44 pm 
Cornerstone

1309th WAVE wrote:
Bump. King will stay on staff under Strong and coach RBs.
https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/817877470607241219

Was just about to try and find this thread to post that

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:59 pm 
Navigator Level

Coming back to town Saturday with South Fla...
http://crescentcitysports.com/former-tulane-great-king-on-opposite-side-as-usf-comes-to-town-saturday/