The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RichRod
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:42 am 
President's Circle

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... wV?ocid=se

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... b-jeopardy

Doesn't shed a flattering light. Still, he would have been a better hire than CJ. It would be nice to fire a guy who went 7-6 at Tulane. Character would be an issue, though.

Post subject: Re: RichRod
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:04 am 
President's Circle

Didn't he used to coach here! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:37 am 
Emerald Circle

As old as Methuselah. Little head doing the thinking for the big head. Plus you lost down the stretch. Cynic asks whether he would have been fired with a better record.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:50 am 
Coach Level

Maybe something like this is the reason Sandy did not hire him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:10 am 
Emerald Circle

20 years ago his issues weren't quite as big an issue. He also wouldn't have been here long enough for it to crop up probably.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:32 am 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
As old as Methuselah. Little head doing the thinking for the big head. Plus you lost down the stretch. Cynic asks whether he would have been fired with a better record.

He would have been fired either way, this is just an excuse. They didn't fire a bad hire, they fired a scandal monger.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:32 am 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
20 years ago his issues weren't quite as big an issue. He also wouldn't have been here long enough for it to crop up probably.

So true. I had discussions with some old Navy jet jockeys who said in reference to the Tailhook scandal aftermath that those who failed to understand that the goal posts had moved were the ones whose careers would go down in flames. We called it “recognizes the right answer when shown”.

If your moral compass is not enough to keep your zipper zipped, maybe threatened loss of your career will.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:59 am 
Coach Level

All it would have taken was one person complaining to Sandy about him and she would have used it as an excuse not to hire him. I don't think she liked his abrasive attitude anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 am 
Emerald Circle

So if I read it right, he admitted he had an affair in the past (but that's not part of this scandal), a person who accused him of workplace harassment in the past had refused to sue then, but now someone, probably that same employee, is threatening to sue, and the school is electing to use it as convenient timing to part ways (while not even being confident enough in the harassment suit threat to claim the firing is "for cause" and try to avoid the severance payout)? Am I missing something?

Not saying he's innocent, I have no idea, but this sure seems, on the surface, like a money grab by someone who took a look at the current social environment and realized this was the time to cash in because people in power are currently assumed guilty (even when occasionally proven innocent). The fact that UA is going to be paying him for a while says to me that they're hoping the suit will become the news and drown out any controversy the firing might have caused. So far it seems they're right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:34 am 
President's Circle

Not his first go 'round on this issue. There was strong talk that he dallied with a cheerleader while at WVU, though WVU NEVER would have fired him. (Personally, I believe he and Rita have an "understanding", but that's just my cynical opinion.)

While I think TUPF's analogy with Methuselah is apt, I believe it more like the Peter Principle (pun not intended, but good nonetheless). People get so enamored with their fame and fortune that they think they can get away with anything. I saw it at my workplace in the 80's, and certain things never change. Until the burden becomes to great for the PTB--especially when losing doesn't help. If UA were to be playing this coming Monday night, RR would still have a job--I would bet big money on it.

Reading between the lines of the article, I have the sneaking suspicion that there are some Baylor-type things going on, too, although on a much smaller scale.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

Apparently Arizona and Les Miles have mutual interest

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:07 pm 
Emerald Circle

That would be bad for Ed Orgeron. Get Les Miles off the books & EO's buyout total (whatever it is at the end of 2018) won't look so daunting to any wannabe regicides in BR.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:17 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
That would be bad for Ed Orgeron. Get Les Miles off the books & EO's buyout total (whatever it is at the end of 2018) won't look so daunting to any wannabe regicides in BR.

They just guaranteed their DC, Aranda $10million for 4 years.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:02 am 
Emerald Circle

Aranda will take a pay cut to be an NFL DC next year.

Perhaps some LSU fans are happy over this but it just underscores the fact that their head coach needs unprecedented propping up. It's untenable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:06 am 
President's Circle

There's a former players/coaches forum, people!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:33 am 
President's Circle

I find the Rich Rod thing deeply disturbing. I have no preference in any direction on him, but there is an alarming amount of assumed guilt that is present today that clearly exist here. While I understand standards change the is also a disturbing and dangerous amount of retroactively punishing past actions based upon present standards. Finally, there are little to no consequences to commuting false witness against against neighbors. While we bemoan societal issues of the past the present needs to take a hard look in the mirror.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:33 am 
Regent's Circle

This seems like it could be a bit more than just unsubstantiated allegations. If this "hideaway book" is actually produced....

https://deadspin.com/former-assistant-says-rich-rodriguez-grabbed-his-penis-1821744625

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:29 pm 
Regent's Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
This seems like it could be a bit more than just unsubstantiated allegations. If this "hideaway book" is actually produced....

https://deadspin.com/former-assistant-says-rich-rodriguez-grabbed-his-penis-1821744625

Is his "equipment" actually worth 7.5 million in value?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:55 pm 
Regent's Circle

AO Sig wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

Is his "equipment" actually worth 7.5 million in value?

I'm not about to examine it to find out. You're the doctor.... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:

Yikes. If half of this is substantiated...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:33 pm 
Emerald Circle

The claim closes by asking to settle “all claims they may have against Richard A. Rodriguez, his wife, and their martial community for $7,500,000.”

:shock:

seriously? So what did the wife do to get stuck in this lawsuit?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:40 pm 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

Yikes. If half of this is substantiated...

On hand, yup. No kidding.

On the other hand, I wonder how many other coaches have similar situations (maybe not the sexual behavior, but the secret rules) and are currently scrambling to erase all trace of it while simultaneously praying any former employees who know about it don't decide to snitch (or take offers for a tell-all book, even if they left on good terms). Now that the precedent is being set that folks can open up with less fear of repercussions, I'm betting a lot of coaches are nervous.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:41 pm 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
The claim closes by asking to settle “all claims they may have against Richard A. Rodriguez, his wife, and their martial community for $7,500,000.”

And what does it have to do with the military?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:

This is in case his wife takes all his money through a divorce and he then tries to claim he's bankrupt and can't pay the accuser if found guilty. This accuser would be trying to get a chunk of the money that his wife had just gotten from RR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:51 pm 
Emerald Circle

I guess that's why I don't make a good juror in cases like this, if I heard the $7,500,000 figure I would probably bust out loud laughing.

not to diminish what she went through, if true, but how do you put a rational number to something like that? Cost incurred on daughter's tuition costs when she had to change jobs? Plus interest?