Andy Cannizzaro reportedly to be fired Tuesday (moving)

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: Andy Cannizzaro reportedly to be fired Tuesday (moving)

Post by Roller »

windywave wrote:I thought one went ugly at last call.
There is no ugly at last call.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Is it normal for coaches to even have a cell phone in the dugout? That alone seems odd.

I mean, unless they're using it for sign stealing or something.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

MattK wrote:Is it normal for coaches to even have a cell phone in the dugout? That alone seems odd.

I mean, unless they're using it for sign stealing or something.
Actually I had the same thought. MLB has rules about tech in the dugout. Wonder if NCAA has anything similar?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
waverider wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:I would really like it if she was involved with Mullens and UF fires him too
from the inside info I was handed this morning.. she's at Florida now... so smoke? fire?

all I can say is having read what I saw this morning.. if it's true.. it's incredibly tragic

The guy was obsessed... it was impacting job performance as in he wasn't doing his because he was texting or on the phone.. assistants were about to walk because of it.. some of the higher ups had hoped her leaving for Florida would end it... as was mentioned above, it made it worse as far as job performance was concerned.
This is how I can justify his firing in my mind. If his actions were affecting his work, then that is more than enough reason to be fired.
Might explain the opening week sweep.
Wouldn't think that would be "for cause" though...
He lied to the AD about it
So? Is there a must not lie to the AD clause? Guess they could say he impeded an investigation or something.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
waverider wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
SlidellWave wrote:
One message board I read said that MSU was tracking him and his cell use, and it was pretty much anytime USM was up to bat.
That sounds like BS
I agree. Not doubting Slidell read it, just the validity of the information.
the information I got that indicated they were monitoring him actually came from someone inside the Athletic Dept... so the message boards got it right
Or that they got the same wrong information.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
waverider wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:I would really like it if she was involved with Mullens and UF fires him too
from the inside info I was handed this morning.. she's at Florida now... so smoke? fire?

all I can say is having read what I saw this morning.. if it's true.. it's incredibly tragic

The guy was obsessed... it was impacting job performance as in he wasn't doing his because he was texting or on the phone.. assistants were about to walk because of it.. some of the higher ups had hoped her leaving for Florida would end it... as was mentioned above, it made it worse as far as job performance was concerned.
This is how I can justify his firing in my mind. If his actions were affecting his work, then that is more than enough reason to be fired.
So? Is there a must not lie to the AD clause? Guess they could say he impeded an investigation or something.
If you think lying to your boss isn't grounds for termination you live in a different world than me
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
waverider wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

If you think lying to your boss isn't grounds for termination you live in a different world than me
They can fire him for whatever they want, my question is what would make the firing "for cause" i.e. MSU not paying the rest of his contract.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

whatever it takes, he did it. He admitted publicly to errors or mistakes when the story broke. Probably he said that in return for some $ and a promise to go away quietly.

When is the Andy Cannizaro Forum going to be made operational?
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:whatever it takes, he did it. He admitted publicly to errors or mistakes when the story broke. Probably he said that in return for some $ and a promise to go away quietly.

Obviously both sides have (had?) something to gain by this going away quietly. Quite possbile what you lay out is the case, but I'm curious about the language "fired for cause" rather than "resigned" or "reached an agreement/settlement" which is what I'd expect under that scenario. I assume he has an agent?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:whatever it takes, he did it. He admitted publicly to errors or mistakes when the story broke. Probably he said that in return for some $ and a promise to go away quietly.

Obviously both sides have (had?) something to gain by this going away quietly. Quite possbile what you lay out is the case, but I'm curious about the language "fired for cause" rather than "resigned" or "reached an agreement/settlement" which is what I'd expect under that scenario. I assume he has an agent?
I think the "fired for cause" we're reading is more about lazy reporting than anything else but I don't see him or his representation suing anyone over their choice of phrase.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:
ml wave wrote:

I think the "fired for cause" we're reading is more about lazy reporting than anything else but I don't see him or his representation suing anyone over their choice of phrase.
Oh, I don't think they'd sue over the choice of phrase. I think firing for cause has a specific contractual meaning and that they'd sue if they were (in their eyes) wrongfully denied compensation. By the same token, if there was some sort of monetary agreement between AC and MSU, why would he let them/why would they want to have it announced as "for cause" when everyone could just say he's stepping down for personal reasons or any of the million other examples we've seen when scandals hit. Just some idle speculating...
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I've stayed quiet about this to try to process everything, but I've got to say something at least to get it off my chest. First off, Andy is one of my favorite teammates I ever played with and this shocked me. There are other people on that team who I would've said "no surprise," but him...no way. I also know Allison from our time at Tulane. I hope they find a way to get past this if that is what they both want.

There are two different versions of this story that have been aired. The first is that the AD caught wind of this, Andy lied to him about it when there was evidence of the affair, and then he was dismissed. A one and done. Personally, I don't believe this version of the story.

The second story is that this was a much longer term thing...the AD found out last season that this was going on and told Andy to cut it out that he was opening the University up to a sexual harassment lawsuit/scandal, etc. Andy was basically given a warning. Then the woman's husband caught them again and turned them in to the athletic department. Andy was confronted with the accusations and lied to the AD and was subsequently confronted with hard evidence that proved he was lying. MSU gave Andy a chance to resign or be fired for cause. Cause being that he 1) continued to engage in a relationship with someone over which he had power (even though she was football, he held a higher position than she did) after the school had counseled him on sexual harassment, 2) his contract had a morals clause and 3) that he lied during the course of an official university investigation, which is a violation of school policy. Andy resigned rather than going through a fight with the university that he would've almost certainly lost. I'm sure there was some kind of small settlement that includes a confidentiality provision, which is why you won't see any comment from Andy, MSU or the woman (who I'm sure also got a settlement).
This one belongs to the Wave.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

TU23, thanks for the detailed information you provided. A very sad situation for everyone involved. Reminds me of David Vitter. I graduated with him and never thought he would ever stray down the wrong path. The position of power and what it leads people to do. I hope his family can recover from this incident.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I don't know what he's doing right now but I'd advise him to: 1) get out of Starkville ASAP, 2) take a year off if you can afford to and work on being the best dad/husband he can be and 3) take the long way back. The only way he recovers from this is by humbling himself. Go back to scouting for a while or go coach HS ball. There will be another opportunity, but it's going to be much, much harder to get. If there is anyone who can do it, I think it's Andy.
This one belongs to the Wave.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TU23 wrote:I've stayed quiet about this to try to process everything, but I've got to say something at least to get it off my chest. First off, Andy is one of my favorite teammates I ever played with and this shocked me. There are other people on that team who I would've said "no surprise," but him...no way. I also know Allison from our time at Tulane. I hope they find a way to get past this if that is what they both want.

There are two different versions of this story that have been aired. The first is that the AD caught wind of this, Andy lied to him about it when there was evidence of the affair, and then he was dismissed. A one and done. Personally, I don't believe this version of the story.

The second story is that this was a much longer term thing...the AD found out last season that this was going on and told Andy to cut it out that he was opening the University up to a sexual harassment lawsuit/scandal, etc. Andy was basically given a warning. Then the woman's husband caught them again and turned them in to the athletic department. Andy was confronted with the accusations and lied to the AD and was subsequently confronted with hard evidence that proved he was lying. MSU gave Andy a chance to resign or be fired for cause. Cause being that he 1) continued to engage in a relationship with someone over which he had power (even though she was football, he held a higher position than she did) after the school had counseled him on sexual harassment, 2) his contract had a morals clause and 3) that he lied during the course of an official university investigation, which is a violation of school policy. Andy resigned rather than going through a fight with the university that he would've almost certainly lost. I'm sure there was some kind of small settlement that includes a confidentiality provision, which is why you won't see any comment from Andy, MSU or the woman (who I'm sure also got a settlement).
Version two makes some sense, especially considering that he did resign (contrary to initial reports that he was fired/going to be fired).
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

As much as this was wrong, it was not "illegal," apparently consensual, and not harassment. So if Andy were to take the long way back and doesn't go astray, who amongst this board would really not hire him in due time?

I would. Everyone who tries to change their ways deserves a 2nd chance.
Bring home da Wave!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

doncecco wrote:As much as this was wrong, it was not "illegal," apparently consensual, and not harassment. So if Andy were to take the long way back and doesn't go astray, who amongst this board would really not hire him in due time?

I would. Everyone who tries to change their ways deserves a 2nd chance.
It was unethical, showed a lack of judgement, and was immoral. HIS WIFE WAS frick PREGNANT for chrissakes.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Thank you, funny how we lose focus sometimes.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.