Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:19 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17811
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
FWIW all the stories will mention LSU and the Yankees too.

Sure. But most of us don't care about them. I think it's a little tasteless to be happy about the failure of a former player of ours, regardless of the recent history. And especially if the stuff is true that he was having an affair while married with kids and another on the way. Yeah that's entirely on him but as a married father, I hate seeing that happen anywhere. His wife and kids have to live with that.

I also don't think that should be a fireable offense.

An affair isn't necessarily (although in the Bible belt SEC, it may be), but an affair with someone in the department or at the school certainly could be. We don't know all the details and may never.

Regardless, in the court of public opinion, especially in today's social media atmosphere, there is no way to spin having an affair while married with kids and one on the way as being acceptable behavior, and news stories will indicate the behavior was by "a Tulane grad".

Uh, read any news, fake or otherwise for the last couple of decades? :lol:

I agree with you, BTW.

It’s the same old story since forever, but folks need to understand that the goal posts have moved for any public figure. I take no joy in the cr@pstorm a former Tulanian is about to endure. I wouldn’t want to be at AC’s dinner table tonight... :(

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:24 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2351
Well, the Nola.com article only mentions the LSU connection, so we can always count on them to omit Tulane.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17811
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
DrHullabaloo wrote:
Humiliation on so many levels.

Just a random side note, but his wife Allison is a TU alum undergrad AND law school.
Hell hath no fury like a spouse lawyer about to give birth scorned. My wife is an attorney and if nothing else, fear of Dante’s Inferno is a grand deterrent.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:29 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6369
Location: Dripping Springs
TUPF wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
FWIW all the stories will mention LSU and the Yankees too.

Sure. But most of us don't care about them. I think it's a little tasteless to be happy about the failure of a former player of ours, regardless of the recent history. And especially if the stuff is true that he was having an affair while married with kids and another on the way. Yeah that's entirely on him but as a married father, I hate seeing that happen anywhere. His wife and kids have to live with that.

I also don't think that should be a fireable offense.

An affair isn't necessarily (although in the Bible belt SEC, it may be), but an affair with someone in the department or at the school certainly could be. We don't know all the details and may never.

Regardless, in the court of public opinion, especially in today's social media atmosphere, there is no way to spin having an affair while married with kids and one on the way as being acceptable behavior, and news stories will indicate the behavior was by "a Tulane grad".

Uh, read any news, fake or otherwise for the last couple of decades? :lol:

I agree with you, BTW.

It’s the same old story since forever, but folks need to understand that the goal posts have moved for any public figure. I take no joy in the cr@pstorm a former Tulanian is about to endure. I wouldn’t want to be at AC’s dinner table tonight... :(


The bomb was dropped. The mushroom cloud is ever expanding and the fallout is trickling down. Besides AC the other party's family gets dragged into this. One can only hope it stops there and doesn't spread ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:35 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 6807
Location: Charlotte
I made some popcorn and then clicked on this thread and the entertainment level has been good, but not what I had hoped for...

the people who think we dodged a bullet here, you have to consider the fact we may not have had a person in the AD office he'd want to fornicate with and would thus still be our head coach!!

the comments on nola dot com are entertaining as well... "bat in the wrong dugout"... "rounding second base with a coed".. "don't stick your peter in your payroll"... some quality comedy

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24555
Location: New Orleans
Yankeewave wrote:
i think we are letting the annoyance we feel with a couple of posters who really like AC and repeatedly post about him cloud our judgment. this is not a good thing for anyone, especially the families.


Yes and no. Yes, I'm thinking about some people who put their notion of the Tulane Baseball Family above Tulane Athletics. In fact, I noticed one of them lurking earlier. He hasn't yet posted anything. No, MY judgment is crystal clear.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:44 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17811
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
sr wrote:
The bomb was dropped. The mushroom cloud is ever expanding and the fallout is trickling down. Besides AC the other party's family gets dragged into this. One can only hope it stops there and doesn't spread ...

Fallout of both the public relations and nuclear kind is insidious. If AC’s lawyer spouse is the least bit vindictive he is going to wind up in a one bedroom apartment doing uniform laundry/coaching for a DIII school until his purgatory is served. Of course he’ll pop up somewhere again in a few years but the next few might not be pretty.

As for the nuclear kind of fallout—true story. During the 80s right after Chernobyl our submarine tender’s radiacs were registering measurable nasty stuff and that was in Sardinia, 1000 miles away. :shock:

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6369
Location: Dripping Springs
Johnny Mac wrote:
the people who think we dodged a bullet here, you have to consider the fact we may not have had a person in the AD office he'd want to fornicate with and would thus still be our head coach!!

Let's not disparage the Tulane Staff here


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:49 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:57 pm
Posts: 10460
Location: Chicago
TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:
The bomb was dropped. The mushroom cloud is ever expanding and the fallout is trickling down. Besides AC the other party's family gets dragged into this. One can only hope it stops there and doesn't spread ...

Fallout of both the public relations and nuclear kind is insidious. If AC’s lawyer spouse is the least bit vindictive he is going to wind up in a one bedroom apartment doing uniform laundry/coaching for a DIII school until his purgatory is served. Of course he’ll pop up somewhere again in a few years but the next few might not be pretty.

As for the nuclear kind of fallout—true story. During the 80s right after Chernobyl our submarine tender’s radiacs were registering measurable nasty stuff and that was in Sardinia, 1000 miles away. :shock:


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt ... sea_mining

You'll like this TUPF. partially, on same subject of book Blind's Man Bluff. yes, threadjack.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:51 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17811
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
sr wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
the people who think we dodged a bullet here, you have to consider the fact we may not have had a person in the AD office he'd want to fornicate with and would thus still be our head coach!!

Let's not disparage the Tulane Staff here
I must say that when I was given a personal tour of all the athletic facilities back in December, the staff was young, vivacious, and a credit to the university.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:52 am 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:24 am
Posts: 29955
Location: Chattanooga, TN
As someone who was friends who with Andy in college (and knew his wife as well), I hate to see this. I wish him no ill will. Now, let's be bigger people, and move on, and hope he lands on his feet, and hope WE kick the sh t out of Ole Miss this weekend.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:56 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5926
Location: Gretna, LA
NJwave wrote:
Besides being swept by the in state school you don’t acknowledge exists, any idea what he did?

No, but it's for cause, so there's something there. No idea what yet, other than rumors I don't credit enough to repeat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:59 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6369
Location: Dripping Springs
GretnaGrn wrote:
NJwave wrote:
Besides being swept by the in state school you don’t acknowledge exists, any idea what he did?

No, but it's for cause, so there's something there. No idea what yet, other than rumors I don't credit enough to repeat.

From what I've read it was someone within the AD's office working with football ops.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:02 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5926
Location: Gretna, LA
I am assuming I am the one closest to Mississippi State here (they were my first college team, until I got to Tulane, I went to grad school there, and I still follow their teams). Starkville is very small town but they're also very into winning, and aware that they can't hire away the Nick Sabans of the world. Andy C led them to a successful year last year; they're not so impatient as to find a pretext to fire him over an opening weekend (one wonders if the team knew this was coming and this affected their performance). Right now, all we have is rumors but I would tend to think if it were simply an affair between consenting adults this would have been hushed up.

I hate this for Andy C., and for MSU. Certainly, it makes Dannen's choice look all the more sound but I would rather have to endure the pro-Andy crowd around here than have this happen. I can't take joy in a member of the family likely losing his career, and perhaps more, depending upon the details.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:18 am 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:43 pm
Posts: 610
Per a friend and member of the club we belong to in NC, who is a Bull Dog booster, AC was loved by the alumni / fans and he asked me how we let him get away from TU. I told him I had no answer. This is a sad day for AC and his family. Prayers going out for them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:22 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17811
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Yankeewave wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt ... sea_mining

You'll like this TUPF. partially, on same subject of book Blind's Man Bluff. yes, threadjack.
My wife and I are big believers in recycle/reuse.

But of course I wouldn’t know, wasn’t there, and have no such knowledge of any operation.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 am 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:25 pm
Posts: 1761
Location: Pass Christian, MS
Engineering is very big at MS State. The person that the school is named after is a very big booster. Don't mess with that person or his family.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:40 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19693
Location: Cincinnati, OH
sr wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
the people who think we dodged a bullet here, you have to consider the fact we may not have had a person in the AD office he'd want to fornicate with and would thus still be our head coach!!

Let's not disparage the Tulane Staff here

Read the paragraph before the one you quoted and it's clear JM is just trying to stir people up so he has more popcorn-worthy stuff to read.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:47 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 13148
So when is the press conference?

_________________
He was in


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:49 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6369
Location: Dripping Springs
PeteRasche wrote:
sr wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
the people who think we dodged a bullet here, you have to consider the fact we may not have had a person in the AD office he'd want to fornicate with and would thus still be our head coach!!

Let's not disparage the Tulane Staff here

Read the paragraph before the one you quoted and it's clear JM is just trying to stir people up so he has more popcorn-worthy stuff to read.

Obviously PR - just looking for an opportunity to use 'disparage' ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:11 am 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 470
long green wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:
i think we are letting the annoyance we feel with a couple of posters who really like AC and repeatedly post about him cloud our judgment. this is not a good thing for anyone, especially the families.


Yes and no. Yes, I'm thinking about some people who put their notion of the Tulane Baseball Family above Tulane Athletics. In fact, I noticed one of them lurking earlier. He hasn't yet posted anything. No, MY judgment is crystal clear.


Well stated.

_________________
The shed sits empty!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:15 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 18617
Location: Chicago
DrHullabaloo wrote:

Just a random side note, but his wife Allison is a TU alum undergrad AND law school.


He's fooked


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:16 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20221
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Officially a resignation (yeah right). The only public statement so far from Canizaro:

Quote:
"I had a wonderful opportunity at Mississippi State, but unfortunately I made some poor decisions. I hope Mississippi State University and all of the fans and people affected will one day forgive me."

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:23 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3367
Location: Marietta, GA
I think all of us agree that judgement of character in a coach should be one deciding factor in whether or not he is hired. I'd like to think that Dannen has a sixth sense about it and that is why he went in a different direction. I really don't know, other than hindsight is 20/20 and it is possible it was luck or that Jewett is/was a better candidate.

As for Cowen in 1998, RR hadn't shown his true colors yet and that was just a screwup in a decade of screwups, imho. Trying to be the smartest-person-in-the-room type of thing.

Spilt milk. Onward.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20221
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Rotorooter wrote:
Trying to be the smartest-person-in-the-room type of thing.
.

You're not the first person to use this term in relation to the RR decision in 98, but it just doesn't seem to fit to me. I do think it was a colossal mistake to pass on RR in 98, but I don't think it was anyone trying to "outsmart" people. It comes across more to me that RR's demeanor, colorful language, and irreverent personality didn't sit well with an Academic who was famously obsessed with appearances. The academic got hung up on that, and never got past it.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Last edited by WaveProf on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group