Matt Forte

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Matt Forte

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Per NFL Network announces his retirement
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Matt Forte

Post by PeteRasche »

One of the most successful Tulanians in the NFL. Good luck to him in the future. I hope we hear his name in 5 years ifyaknowwhatimean.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

He will have an interesting HOF case. It's a shame he couldn't have put together one more strong year yardage wise. 15k total rushing+receiving yardage would have given him a strong case.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

If Matt had hooked up with the Pats he'd have cruised into the HOF. Doubt he makes it, myself.

I'm just glad he had such a good run and that he's walking away while he still can.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

As the game morphs, even over the next 5 years, his case for the HOF will probably change. It seems like the pendulum swings between times where it feels like 1000-yard rushers are a dime a dozen and times where teams are so pass heavy that hardly any try to run that much. But it seems like there is a modern rise of the "do it all back", with an emphasis on being able to catch short passes in space and turn it into big gains, and it felt like Matt was one of those leading this surge. His chances at the Hall may depend on whether the need for that type of player continues to grow or whether it subsides somewhat in the next five years. Clearly his greatest value was being a "balanced" running and catching threat. In some eras, the catching part might have been seen as a knock on his running ability (simply because his rushing numbers were not amazing when taken alone). The cynic in me thinks he won't make it because he didn't have outstanding stats in one of the categories alone and because he didn't play on winning teams, but I think a very strong argument can also be made that his overall production is worthy.

As outlaw said, I think it's an interesting case. I'm sure dozens of hours of sports talk radio and TV will be spent on him when the time comes.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

He clearly is Hall of Good for pros. I think he has better shot at making college Hall of Fame based on his 2007 season. Glad he is retiring in excellent health. Fun player to watch for last 14 years. Thanks, Matt.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

As good a player as he was, I don't think he's even close to a borderline HoFer. Made two Pro Bowls, no All-Pro teams, never led the league in anything...he's got a decent amount of yards racked up but I don't see what the case would even be.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

HoFer no doubt.

He basically the Bears whole offense (not hyperbole) for a couple of seasons. Got a ton of yards behind crappy lines.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:HoFer no doubt.

He basically the Bears whole offense (not hyperbole) for a couple of seasons. Got a ton of yards behind crappy lines.
Lol
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

He had one hell of a NFL career. It's a shame he played on such poor teams. As mentioned already he will definitely be in the college HOF.
We deserve so much better
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:

Lol
What are you laughing at, or just laughing maniacally because you're off your meds?
#cousins don't count
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

thanks to Larry Holder at NOLA

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index

a true 2 Star "under the radar recruit" who was just spectacular for us

Forte earned two trips to the Pro Bowl while with the Bears. And no running back in the last 10 seasons gained more yards from scrimmage than Forte.

Forte: 14,468
LeSean McCoy: 13,470
Frank Gore: 13,241
Adrian Peterson: 12,682
Chris Johnson: 11,906

Forte ended his career 33rd on the all-time rushing list with 9,796 yards. That's more rushing yards than Hall of Famers Joe Perry, Earl Campbell, Jim Taylor, Larry Csonka and Terrell Davis.

hopefully there's enough there to get him into the HOF
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

About the only nfl player whose career I’ve followed and a big reason I fell so deeply in love with Tulane football. Hope he makes the hof
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Story above from NOLA makes the strongest points:
...no running back in the last 10 seasons gained more yards from scrimmage than Forte.
Forte: 14,468
LeSean McCoy: 13,470
Frank Gore: 13,241
Adrian Peterson: 12,682
Chris Johnson: 11,906
Forte ended his career 33rd on the all-time rushing list with 9,796 yards. That's more rushing yards than Hall of Famers Joe Perry, Earl Campbell, Jim Taylor, Larry Csonka and Terrell Davis.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Lol
What are you laughing at, or just laughing maniacally because you're off your meds?
You weren't joking?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

We have old friends who live near Wrigley Field and are all about the Bears/Cubs/Bulls. When the Bears drafted Forte I told my friend “you got a steal”. It didn’t take him long to become a believer.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Lol
You weren't joking?
No. You're that ignorant?
#cousins don't count
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:He will have an interesting HOF case. It's a shame he couldn't have put together one more strong year yardage wise. 15k total rushing+receiving yardage would have given him a strong case.
I loathe to say that I agree that it will be a struggle. I tried to make a case for Matt a couple of years ago with the hope that he could put together 3 more average years. He then would have landed in stratosphere of all time RBs in yards from scrimmage AND rushing.

As it stands Matt finishes as the #33 all time rusher - ahead of HOFs Earl Campbell, Larry Csonka, Joe Perry and Jim Taylor. #28 all time Yards from scrimmage - ahead of all the aforementioned along with Franco Harris, John Riggins, OJ Simpson.

Great, great, great all around back - who played on mostly miserable teams. Leader in the clubhouse. Good citizen that gave back to his community. Best Tulane pro.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Lol
You weren't joking?
If realizing that he won't make the HoF makes me ignorant, so be it. As far as the HoF goes, he is essentially a poor man's Ricky Watters...and Ricky Watters isn't getting in the HoF.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

From the outside looking in I’d guess that Forte’s hof chances will vary greatly on how much fantasy metrics begin to change how we see players. By the old metrics, he’s not in. But for fantasy people he was one of the nfls’s top 3 players for 5+ years. Old guard vs new.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:From the outside looking in I’d guess that Forte’s hof chances will vary greatly on how much fantasy metrics begin to change how we see players. By the old metrics, he’s not in. But for fantasy people he was one of the nfls’s top 3 players for 5+ years. Old guard vs new.
Yeah, a couple of millennial coworkers of mine, upon hearing that Forte retired, raved about what an amazing fantasy player he was and said he'd be a lock because of that. Interesting change of perspective based on generation, eh?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Lol
You weren't joking?
If realizing that he won't make the HoF makes me ignorant, so be it. As far as the HoF goes, he is essentially a poor man's Ricky Watters...and Ricky Watters isn't getting in the HoF.
So ignorance it is. If you had watched him play you'd know the Bears would have been the Browns offense without him. He literally carried the offense with upwards of 70% of the offense going through him at times. Maybe I'm naive in thinking the voters would recognize this. For th record he deserves in more than Urlacher
#cousins don't count
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Lol
You weren't joking?
So ignorance it is. If you had watched him play you'd know the Bears would have been the Browns offense without him. He literally carried the offense with upwards of 70% of the offense going through him at times. Maybe I'm naive in thinking the voters would recognize this. For th record he deserves in more than Urlacher
Unfortunately, MVP and HOF are not necessarily high-correlation accolades. I remain hopefully optimistic, but I'm mostly wait-and-see.