David Pierce

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: David Pierce

Post by visualmagic »

He had no choice but to bring in pitchers since the cupboard was bare. Many lacked experience like I have already mentioned. Having a full year & summer ball will help dramatically as well as new pitching coach. .
And many of them had experience as there were transfers in Will Mcaffer, Kaleb Roper,Trent Johnson, Ryan Green, Ben White and Chris Koppenhaver. Ben White had thrown almost 150 innings at the D1 level, experience is no excuse there.
Roper had thrown an inning at Arizona and then went to once of the best JUCO's in the country and played in a very competitive Northwoods Summer league.
Will Mcaffer threw 40 innings of D1 baseball at South Dakota St
I could go on but let's just say that The experience excuse just doesn't fly.

I have also mentioned advantages Pierce had with bringing his coaches in with him that have been with him for several years. Somehow you & your bud don't think a new head coach has problems getting to know a team with new coaches,& again with another coach, & again with another coach coming up. Ya'll going all out not wanting to see the whole picture yet again. Jewett has a plan & pitching is obviously the major part. Sit back & relax till next season
LOL, this is incredible excuse making here. Jewett hand picked his assistants. You really think he didn't know Tighe Dickinson, Billy Jones and Eddie Smith before he hired them? He just coincidentally hired 3 guys that all came from the state of Washington? The same state Jewett himself is from.
The Billy Jones situation was unfortunate, however, I don't really see losing him as a big deal.

As for having to replace another coach next year, THAT'S JEWETT'S FAULT! He shouldn't have hired a bad pitching coach and he wouldn't be replacing him in what should be a make or break year. You just cant give him the excuse of it being tough working with new coaches when it's his fault that the coach had to be replaced. Sorry, cant do it without looking like an apologist.

If pitching is a major part of the plan, then the first order of business when he got the job should have been to find the best pitching coach he could find. He failed to do that. He got a really bad one.

You're the one not seeing the whole picture. You have literally given him a pass on everything. Despite all the mistakes and missteps he's made, you excuse it all.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:I don’t relish the losses but I was kind of right.

I wouldn’t say that I wanted him fired before the season but I had my belief that Jewett was not a good coach. He had an opportunity to disprove that this year and he didn’t.

That’s the first time I’ve seen you say that we need to be good next year. Earlier In this thread you said he needed to show “marked improvement” and I believe in another thread you said he needed to be above .500
Those two things are not necessarily going to mean we’re a good team.
If we were above .500 this year we were in the tournament with our RPI and SoS. Marked improvement is at least .500.
Possible, just depends on which games we’d have won. You’re probably not getting into the tournament finishing 7th or 8th in the AAC.
Even with a similar SOS, A .500 record next year should get him fired. Anything short of a regional should get him canned. This isn’t the football or basketball program, a .500 season in year 3 isn’t good enough. Especially not after 27-31 in year 1 and 25-33 in year 2.
Think about what you just wrote. Look at the schedule. Do the math. If we are .500 we are in.
You are wrong .500 isn’t getting you in. Find me a single team that has ever got in as an at-large at 29-29. It doesn’t happen. Our RPI was like 85 on selection Monday. Is 4 wins worth 40 spots in the RPI? UCF got left out with an RPI around 40-45.
Fine some indeterminate numberof wins combined with a subjective eyeball test. Better? If you devoted 1/2 as much energy to peace in the Middle East as you do wanting TJ gone you'd get multiple.Nobel Prizes
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:

I wouldn’t say that I wanted him fired before the season but I had my belief that Jewett was not a good coach. He had an opportunity to disprove that this year and he didn’t.

That’s the first time I’ve seen you say that we need to be good next year. Earlier In this thread you said he needed to show “marked improvement” and I believe in another thread you said he needed to be above .500
If we were above .500 this year we were in the tournament with our RPI and SoS. Marked improvement is at least .500.
Possible, just depends on which games we’d have won. You’re probably not getting into the tournament finishing 7th or 8th in the AAC.
Even with a similar SOS, A .500 record next year should get him fired. Anything short of a regional should get him canned. This isn’t the football or basketball program, a .500 season in year 3 isn’t good enough. Especially not after 27-31 in year 1 and 25-33 in year 2.
Think about what you just wrote. Look at the schedule. Do the math. If we are .500 we are in.
You are wrong .500 isn’t getting you in. Find me a single team that has ever got in as an at-large at 29-29. It doesn’t happen. Our RPI was like 85 on selection Monday. Is 4 wins worth 40 spots in the RPI? UCF got left out with an RPI around 40-45.
Fine some indeterminate numberof wins combined with a subjective eyeball test. Better? If you devoted 1/2 as much energy to peace in the Middle East as you do wanting TJ gone you'd get multiple.Nobel Prizes
Define peace. Would a marked improvement be sufficient?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:

Casualties no more than .500 of population?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:

Well executed
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:

Casualties no more than .500 of population?
Poorly executed
#cousins don't count
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Wavedom, really appreciate what said about my son and he does too. Thank you.
Last edited by tjtlja on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Baconwave, I think the depth Coach Pierce left behind offensively was much better than anyone thought. I have never disagreed on the pitching, the depth isn’t there and you win championships with pitching. On the flip side, he never got to coach Massey (again), Gillies, Price, Hogan, Solesky, or Schnake. And I think we all agree he is an excellent coach and he handled the pitching. I know those guys would have learned a lot more than they did.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:Wavedom, really appreciate what said about my son and he does too. Thank you.
It truly was from the heart. Thank both of you.
We deserve so much better
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

visualmagic wrote:
He had no choice but to bring in pitchers since the cupboard was bare. Many lacked experience like I have already mentioned. Having a full year & summer ball will help dramatically as well as new pitching coach. .
And many of them had experience as there were transfers in Will Mcaffer, Kaleb Roper,Trent Johnson, Ryan Green, Ben White and Chris Koppenhaver. Ben White had thrown almost 150 innings at the D1 level, experience is no excuse there.
Roper had thrown an inning at Arizona and then went to once of the best JUCO's in the country and played in a very competitive Northwoods Summer league.
Will Mcaffer threw 40 innings of D1 baseball at South Dakota St
I could go on but let's just say that The experience excuse just doesn't fly.

I have also mentioned advantages Pierce had with bringing his coaches in with him that have been with him for several years. Somehow you & your bud don't think a new head coach has problems getting to know a team with new coaches,& again with another coach, & again with another coach coming up. Ya'll going all out not wanting to see the whole picture yet again. Jewett has a plan & pitching is obviously the major part. Sit back & relax till next season
LOL, this is incredible excuse making here. Jewett hand picked his assistants. You really think he didn't know Tighe Dickinson, Billy Jones and Eddie Smith before he hired them? He just coincidentally hired 3 guys that all came from the state of Washington? The same state Jewett himself is from.
The Billy Jones situation was unfortunate, however, I don't really see losing him as a big deal.As for having to replace another coach next year, THAT'S JEWETT'S FAULT! He shouldn't have hired a bad pitching coach and he wouldn't be replacing him in what should be a make or break year. You just cant give him the excuse of it being tough working with new coaches when it's his fault that the coach had to be replaced. Sorry, cant do it without looking like an apologist.

If pitching is a major part of the plan, then the first order of business when he got the job should have been to find the best pitching coach he could find. He failed to do that. He got a really bad one.

You're the one not seeing the whole picture. You have literally given him a pass on everything. Despite all the mistakes and missteps he's made, you excuse it all.

So you literally... of no coaching experience whatsoever.....think that hand picking coaches while learning to be a 1st time head coach is easy? As opposed to coming to a school with assistants you have had for several years & several years of being a head coach? So what if he knew his 1st crew casually. He DID NOT COACH WITH THEM since like what middle school? You think it was easy trying to assemble a coaching staff that late in the hiring process? I am sure some prob. turned the opportunity down just for the fact of what it takes to recruit here. But hey...losing a coach isn't a big deal at all. Go ask coaches buddy & see what they say about that.

You also talk about transfers....geeee I wonder why he had to go find so many of them? Anybody know the answer cough cough......We played the 9th hardest schedule in the nation? You think those transfers had it easy coming here trying to learn our system all at one time? Why were all of them transferring out? IT TAKES TIME!!!! You can quote all the stats & mumbo Jumbo you want be you don't know diddly poo about what it takes to coach.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Is this Mrs. Jewett's burner account?

I never said the job was easy, you're making that up. It aint supposed to be easy. He gets paid more than me because it isn't easy, but he gets paid to produce results and he has not done that.
Picking a staff is a critical part of the job, especially for a guy that has never been a head coach before. It's why I'd have liked to have brought in a guy that was already a head coach.
So what if he knew his 1st crew casually. He DID NOT COACH WITH THEM since like what middle school?
I don't care how well he knew them. I don't care if it was his brother and his son or two guys that he'd never met before in his life. It's irrelevant, all I care about is whether or not they are any good at their job and that's all anyone should care about. The fact that one quit and he fired the other after 2 seasons is a pretty good indication that he did a bad job of hiring. Just admit that. Say one critical thing about TJ, just one.
He could have Daniel Latham 2 years ago. He chose Tighe Dickinson, that's on him. Nobody else to blame.

BTW, what was Jewett doing coaching in middle school? Seems odds.
You think it was easy trying to assemble a coaching staff that late in the hiring process? I am sure some prob. turned the opportunity down just for the fact of what it takes to recruit here.
I'm sure it's easier to get assistants to join you at Tulane than Sam Houston St.
Pierce got some good ones there. So did Matt Deggs. Matt Riser hired some good ones at Southeastern. I could keep going but you get the point.
But hey...losing a coach isn't a big deal at all. Go ask coaches buddy & see what they say about that.
I'm sorry, when you fire an assistant coach you cant use having a new coach on the staff as an excuse the next year. Doesn't add up. Teams lose coaches every year, it’s not an acceptable excuse for your team to be terrible for two years in a row. In fact, there’s no acceptable excuse for the results of the past two seasons.
You also talk about transfers....geeee I wonder why he had to go find so many of them?
He didn't. He chose to bring in transfers, could have brought in all freshman. Or he could have elected to save scholarships for the future.
You think those transfers had it easy coming here trying to learn our system all at one time?
This isn't football, there's no system to learn. Get the hitters out, if the coaching staff made it more complicated than that, it's on them.
We played the 9th hardest schedule in the nation?
You get rewarded for that. It means you don't have to win as many. We were bad regardless of what the schedule looked like. 16-27 against RPI top 100. That's awful.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

visualmagic wrote:Is this Mrs. Jewett's burner account?

I never said the job was easy, you're making that up. It aint supposed to be easy. He gets paid more than me because it isn't easy, but he gets paid to produce results and he has not done that.
Picking a staff is a critical part of the job, especially for a guy that has never been a head coach before. It's why I'd have liked to have brought in a guy that was already a head coach.
So what if he knew his 1st crew casually. He DID NOT COACH WITH THEM since like what middle school?
I don't care how well he knew them. I don't care if it was his brother and his son or two guys that he'd never met before in his life. It's irrelevant, all I care about is whether or not they are any good at their job and that's all anyone should care about. The fact that one quit and he fired the other after 2 seasons is a pretty good indication that he did a bad job of hiring. Just admit that. Say one critical thing about TJ, just one.
He could have Daniel Latham 2 years ago. He chose Tighe Dickinson, that's on him. Nobody else to blame.

You think it was easy trying to assemble a coaching staff that late in the hiring process? I am sure some prob. turned the opportunity down just for the fact of what it takes to recruit here.
I'm sure it's easier to get assistants to join you at Tulane than Sam Houston St.
Pierce got some good ones there. So did Matt Deggs. Matt Riser hired some good ones at Southeastern. I could keep going but you get the point.
But hey...losing a coach isn't a big deal at all. Go ask coaches buddy & see what they say about that.
I'm sorry, when you fire an assistant coach you cant use having a new coach on the staff as an excuse the next year. Doesn't add up. Teams lose coaches every year, it’s not an acceptable excuse for your team to be terrible for two years in a row. In fact, there’s no acceptable excuse for the results of the past two seasons.
You also talk about transfers....geeee I wonder why he had to go find so many of them?
He didn't. He chose to bring in transfers, could have brought in all freshman. Or he could have elected to save scholarships for the future.
You think those transfers had it easy coming here trying to learn our system all at one time?
This isn't football, there's no system to learn. Get the hitters out, if the coaching staff made it more complicated than that, it's on them.
You get rewarded for that. It means you don't have to win as many. We were bad regardless of what the schedule looked like. 16-27 against RPI top 100. That's awful.

I will no longer argue with someone who is clueless about coaching. I am someone who can understand a coaching mindset & not just toss BS from the stands like you. How the hell do you think it is easier to get coaches to come to Tulane than Sam Houston State? Pierce's own coach could not recruit here & left. Pierce couldn't recruit pitching here & left. TEXAS IS A FRIGGIN BASEBALL HOTBED!!!! How much does tuition cost there again? Did you consult with Latham about 2 years ago? You "know" we could have had him?

Also... just get hitters out. Yep def. that is all. How many other Louisiana teams made postseason with THEIR GREAT COACHES???? Looks like it may be a little more complicated than that... As for the middle school reference.. It was called sarcasm but clearly you can't understand that.

So why bring in transfers??? He needed balance ..dddduuuuuhhhhhhhh... have you read any previous posts about his own comments. Bring in all freshman? Yeah that's is def. a balanced roster. Much like having ALL seniors he had his 1st year. So when he loses b/c people like you can't understand developing players... he is gone quicker?

You take your lumps by scheduling like coach did. Kids know their expectations & you learn along the way. His coaching here has had ups & downs. You just fail to see that this was not a normal situation from the jump.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

BACONWAVE wrote:

I will no longer argue with someone who is clueless about coaching. I am someone who can understand a coaching mindset & not just toss BS from the stands like you. How the hell do you think it is easier to get coaches to come to Tulane than Sam Houston State? Pierce's own coach could not recruit here & left. Pierce couldn't recruit pitching here & left. TEXAS IS A FRIGGIN BASEBALL HOTBED!!!! How much does tuition cost there again? Did you consult with Latham about 2 years ago? You "know" we could have had him?

Also... just get hitters out. Yep def. that is all. How many other Louisiana teams made postseason with THEIR GREAT COACHES???? Looks like it may be a little more complicated than that... As for the middle school reference.. It was called sarcasm but clearly you can't understand that.

So why bring in transfers??? He needed balance ..dddduuuuuhhhhhhhh... have you read any previous posts about his own comments. Bring in all freshman? Yeah that's is def. a balanced roster. Much like having ALL seniors he had his 1st year. So when he loses b/c people like you can't understand developing players... he is gone quicker?

You take your lumps by scheduling like coach did. Kids know their expectations & you learn along the way. His coaching here has had ups & downs. You just fail to see that this was not a normal situation from the jump.
Of course it’s easier to get coaches to Tulane than Sam Houston St. are you serious? We took their head coach and all of his assistant coaches. We pay more. Play in a better conference, better ballpark, better everything. There one advantage is cheaper tuition. But kids don’t want to play in the Southland Conference over the AAC. That’s obvious. Sam Houston St is like 10th in line for the baseball talent in Texas. Texas being a baseball hotbed is nice for them but they aren’t getting their pick of the litter. Tulane should recruit better players from Texas than they do.

I have not consulted Latham but it’s called logic. Why would he come here when Jewett is possibly on the hot seat but he wouldn’t come here with a clean slate in year 1? Doesn’t add up.

Bringing in transfers wasn’t a terrible idea but for the most part they weren’t good. I’d have preferred freshman who have more room for growth than many of these guys.
He’d actually probably get a longer leash if the team was younger.

Pierce made this schedule.
The downs have outweighed the ups by quite a bit.
What was so atypical about this situation?
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:

Of course it’s easier to get coaches to Tulane than Sam Houston St. are you serious? We took their head coach and all of his assistant coaches. We pay more. Play in a better conference, better ballpark, better everything. There one advantage is cheaper tuition. But kids don’t want to play in the Southland Conference over the AAC. That’s obvious. Sam Houston St is like 10th in line for the baseball talent in Texas. Texas being a baseball hotbed is nice for them but they aren’t getting their pick of the litter. Tulane should recruit better players from Texas than they do.

I have not consulted Latham but it’s called logic. Why would he come here when Jewett is possibly on the hot seat but he wouldn’t come here with a clean slate in year 1? Doesn’t add up.

Bringing in transfers wasn’t a terrible idea but for the most part they weren’t good. I’d have preferred freshman who have more room for growth than many of these guys.
He’d actually probably get a longer leash if the team was younger.

Pierce made this schedule.
The downs have outweighed the ups by quite a bit.
What was so atypical about this situation?
Ok using your logic.....Texas is like a top 3 school to coach at for college baseball right???? So why did literally like 8 coaches pass on the job before Texas came to Pierce? It is called know the situation. Pierce didn't actually recruit most of his players at Sam Houston St. They were good when he got there & He won with other coaches players there. He took full advantage of the situation there to get a better payday. His whole goal in his own words was to basically get a better TEXAS BASED coaching gig. Go look at his quote when he got Texas job. He used us to get what he wanted like I & others had previously suggested BEFORE & was laughed out the forum. But then he comes out & actually says it & then yall are like... Oh he couldn't pass that up. The guy is damn smart but he used us & former coaches recruiting & left us with Little League pitching. Latham is prob. doing some of the same things. He sees a team with crappy pitching & he obviously can help. He does a decent job next year & guess what..... He prob. gets a head coaching gig somewhere else if Tulane turns it around...or here if Jewett is gone. It is called knowing the situation.

College baseball now has parity everywhere. Most coaches leave for more money. Sam Houston State has been a force & with them basically winning their Conference every year it is a lot easier to make regionals there then it will ever be at Tulane. Just look at their track record before & after Pierce. I am not saying Tulane is a bad job, but it is not what it used to be. Coach Jones fought his Azz off to somehow get us to be a powerhouse, but with parity everywhere now, that has slanted the field not in our favor.

Still didn't answer why all these better coaches in Louisiana failed to make the postseason.....teams supposedly set up to have great years did not. They have veteran coaching staffs & veteran teams but still sucked. Wonder why their fanbases aren't calling for their heads? I am not Coach Jewett's wife, buddy, 10th cousin thrice removed etc. What I am is a realist who knows about coaching & the behind the scene stuff that most people don't realize or take for granted. He has not been given a fair shake by some for various reasons....not hiring a certain coach whose pants seem to not stay up, not hiring other local guys, not keeping former coaches who were players when Jones left. etc. etc. He has next year to show marked improvement & contend for a conference title. He will have had a proven pitching coach & 2 classes brought in & his chance to balance the roster. If we suck next year then show him the door. But if that does happen.....maybe we need to question if Tulane is only hurting themselves with our practices here & further respect what Jones was actually able to do here with the power he had.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

For the love of God would you guys please give it a rest? It’s like arguing politics over the Thanksgiving table—no one is changing anyone’s opinion. Shouting louder is only shouting louder.

Now going back to figuring out which Father’s Day grilling accoutrements to play with first.
Last edited by TUPF on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

TUPF wrote:For the love of God would you guys please give it a rest? It’s like politics—obviously no one is changing anyone’s opinion. Shouting louder is only shouting louder.

Now going back to figuring out which Father’s Day grilling accoutrements to play with first.
Happy Dad day sir. I'd go with the beer hardhat while cranking up he Johnsonville BBQ Truck. :mrgreen:
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Texas is a premier job, maybe top 3. If not, not far off.
The coaches that I recall turning it down: Mainieri, O’sullivan, Schlossnagle maybe. I may be missing some but Florida, LSU and TCU, those are great jobs too. There’s no point in those guys leaving great situations for basically a lateral move.

Pierce didn’t recruit most of his players at SHS. No debate there. They went 11-22 and 17-16 in Southland play the two years prior to his arrival. Not very good. 24-9, 20-7, and 20-7 his three years there. Vast improvement.

If we have a bad season next year and fire Jewett and hire a guy already on the staff, that won’t inspire confidence in anyone. No offense to Latham but we could do better. He needs more than one year as an AAC assistant before he’s ready to be our head coach.

If SHSU has it better than Tulane in baseball, then we should just pack it in. But that’s not true, we could take their coach again and he’d do a great job.

I don’t care about the other teams in Louisiana. I care about Tulane and the past two years were bad.

I had no issues with hiring Jewett. I’m just saying that the results aren’t up to par.

Tulane probably is hurting itself with a lot of things. You won’t hear any argument from me on that.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Well Pierce burned his best two pitchers yesterday due to 3 hr. rain delay and lost to Arkansas. The local press being very critical of his decision to throw his second best pitcher when game resumed. Could be a short stay in Omaha.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

They have to play Florida and two and barbecue is very likely.

Pitching Shugart yesterday after rain delay was very questionable. Didn’t throw many pitches so I expect he will start tomorrow. They will have to play a lot better to get by the Gators.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Watched an inning of FL-TX with Fat Roger in the booth. Lots of Pierce love from the broadcasters.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

What they said was no different than what we said when he was here. Excellent feel for pitchers and in game decision making is second to none. I don’t know if he has ever missed a regional as a D1 coach - Rice, SHS, Texas, and Tulane. It will be interesting to see how long his staff stays together. Allen will get a job soon, you would think, but with a 6 figure assistants gig who knows.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Plus they'll get a raise/bonus for making it to the CWS - albeit a short stay.