David Pierce

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: David Pierce

Post by GreenieBacker »

Conroy? Lordy, that would be some sad but unfortunately probably true. At least he knew well enough to have the right complement on the Court/Playing Field unlike some of RD's other hires.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

I’d take Dickerson over Conroy.

Dickerson overall record: 71-85
Conference record: 31-40

Conroy overall record: 92-103
Conference record: 29-71

Dickerson played much tougher non-conference schedules and the conference was better too. Conroy’s conference record is embarrassing. Crazy that we kept him for so long.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

We're obviously taking only head coaches here...
Was 2 volleyball coaches ago his hire?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:We're obviously taking only head coaches here...
If you are talking about Liz Kritza (3 coaches ago), she was a player in the 90s, then grad assistant, then hired as an assistant in 99, and got the head gig in 2005, so while she was technically hired by RD, she wasn't really the product of any search or effort by him. It was her first head job, straight out of being our assistant.

I assume you weren't talking about Momic, who was a RD hire, but far from best. Less of a "hire" than, "not gonna give even the slightest raise to successful Liz Kritza to keep her here, I can promote her assistant on the cheap without even doing interviews". Again, required no effort by RD to research and interview a wide pool of candidates.

BTW, Kritza was somewhat controversially fired by Colorado in 2015, after a decent season (not great but not worthy of a firing in the brutal PAC12). "Difference of opinion on the direction the program should go" between she and the AD, apparently.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:We're obviously taking only head coaches here...
If you are talking about Liz Kritza (3 coaches ago), she was a player in the 90s, then grad assistant, then hired as an assistant in 99, and got the head gig in 2005, so while she was technically hired by RD, she wasn't really the product of any search or effort by him. It was her first head job, straight out of being our assistant.

I assume you weren't talking about Momic, who was a RD hire, but far from best. Less of a "hire" than, "not gonna give even the slightest raise to successful Liz Kritza to keep her here, I can promote her assistant on the cheap without even doing interviews". Again, required no effort by RD to research and interview a wide pool of candidates.

BTW, Kritza was somewhat controversially fired by Colorado in 2015, after a decent season (not great but not worthy of a firing in the brutal PAC12). "Difference of opinion on the direction the program should go" between she and the AD, apparently.
Kritza it was! Thanks!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

visualmagic wrote:Texas went 25-32 the year before, so maybe not as easy as y’all think.

I don’t even see Texas in the top 100 for recruiting classes for 2017 on Perfect Game

https://www.perfectgame.org/rankings/Re ... kings.aspx

Your own little linky shows in 2014 Texas was 16th, 2015 they were 23rd, & 2016 they were 23rd. So if 10 studs were drafted last year that would mean.....they recruited pretty damn good huh? 2017 they dropped off map probably b/c guess why....their coaching search went thru 37 people & possibly a few zoo animals before Pierce was picked. Nobody was gonna commit with no coach. Now they back on list high again per their normal recruiting ability as THE STATE SCHOOL in TEXAS.

Which also shows... Tulane was ranked 98th in 2014, 54th in 2015, 56th in 2015, 51st in 2017, 51st in 2018, 40th projected in 2019

So technically that shows that Jewett is actually recruiting better here at Tulane than Pierce did......which PROVES MY FRICKIN POINT ALL ALONG THAT PIERCE WON WITH OTHER PEOPLES PLAYERS!!!!
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

BACONWAVE wrote:
visualmagic wrote:Texas went 25-32 the year before, so maybe not as easy as y’all think.

I don’t even see Texas in the top 100 for recruiting classes for 2017 on Perfect Game

https://www.perfectgame.org/rankings/Re ... kings.aspx

Your own little linky shows in 2014 Texas was 16th, 2015 they were 23rd, & 2016 they were 23rd. So if 10 studs were drafted last year that would mean.....they recruited pretty damn good huh? 2017 they dropped off map probably b/c guess why....their coaching search went thru 37 people & possibly a few zoo animals before Pierce was picked. Nobody was gonna commit with no coach. Now they back on list high again per their normal recruiting ability as THE STATE SCHOOL in TEXAS.

Which also shows... Tulane was ranked 98th in 2014, 54th in 2015, 56th in 2015, 51st in 2017, 51st in 2018, 40th projected in 2019

So technically that shows that Jewett is actually recruiting better here at Tulane than Pierce did......which PROVES MY FRICKIN POINT ALL ALONG THAT PIERCE WON WITH OTHER PEOPLES PLAYERS!!!!
Yes, he won. That's the most accurate thing you've ever posted on this site.

They were mostly not his players, but he brought in some very important pieces. Including Ross Massey, who might have been the best player on the team in 2016.

The 2014 class was Gautreau's. 2015(#54) and 2016(#56) are pretty much even with Jewett's first two classes at #51 and #51. The 2019 class has not signed yet. Long way out. Jewett's only real skill is his ability to recruit. If Pierce was an awful recruiter and Jewett is bringing in classes 3-5 spots better than Pierce, what does that make Jewett?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

If memory serves we were recruiting Massey before Pierce was here and he was already committed before Pierce got here. Plus through his family everyone knew he was coming here long before DP was here.

As for TJ he was not just about recruiting before he came here. He was also the hitting coach. You said our hitting wouldn't hold up this year. It did. He clearly has faults but he also has some ability. With Latham's hire he may have saved his career.
We deserve so much better
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

wavedom wrote:If memory serves we were recruiting Massey before Pierce was here and he was already committed and I think signed before Pierce got here.

As for TJ he was not just about recruiting before he came here. He was also the hitting coach. You said our hitting wouldn't hold up this year. It did. He clearly has faults but he also has some ability. With Latham's hire he may have saved his career.
Committed but I don't think signed. He still gets credited for maintaining that commitment.

He was the hitting coach at a school known for it's pitching.
The hitting was fine this year, but it wasn't some juggernaut. The recruits he brought in did not perform well as a whole.
He may have saved his career or maybe he didn't.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

“Catholic-Baton Rouge added another name to its long history of college baseball players Wednesday when rising senior pitcher Ross Massey said he planned to play at Tulane University.

Massey said he first heard from the Green Wave earlier this summer when assistant coaches Philip Miller and Sean Allen joined new head coach David Pierce in late June.

A visit to the campus last week solidified Massey's interest. The earliest he can sign a binding letter of intent with the school is November.”

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... her_r.html
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Pierce/Sean Allen might have reminded us of the Rick Jones/Schloss days if only they had stayed here. They look like a very good, complementary combination.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Donny Z wrote:“Catholic-Baton Rouge added another name to its long history of college baseball players Wednesday when rising senior pitcher Ross Massey said he planned to play at Tulane University.

Massey said he first heard from the Green Wave earlier this summer when assistant coaches Philip Miller and Sean Allen joined new head coach David Pierce in late June.

A visit to the campus last week solidified Massey's interest. The earliest he can sign a binding letter of intent with the school is November.”

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... her_r.html
Thanks for correcting my faulty memory.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Pierce and Texas advance to the Super Regionals.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

On to Omaha for Pierce. He might not have been their top choice....or second....or third....,etc. but I suspect they are pretty happy now.

On an unrelated note, I keep reading that the Mississippi State coaching search is ongoing. Just a hint, it might make sense to look at the interim guy that just took you to Omaha.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Texas was 9 - 9 in March and 33 - 12 the rest of the way.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Not that good of a coach though, according to some folks
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

No one said that. What they said was that he didn't recruit well at Tulane.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

wavedom wrote:No one said that. What they said was that he didn't recruit well at Tulane.
BACONWAVE has certainly said that Pierce has gotten too much credit for the success he had at Tulane and Texas.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

His recruiting wasn’t terrible either. He recruited Massey, Hoese, Spoon, Jeremy, Soleski, Gillies, Glancy, Zubia, Gozzo, Matthews, Simms, Edwards, DeHart, Kobi Owen, and Artigues. His recruiting of pitching was not what we hoped, but who is to say he wouldn’t have coached them up given the success he has had at Sam Houston, Tulane, and UT.

I know it was a challenge for him here and he said so, but he did manage to recruit some pretty good talent, especially offensively.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

GreenieBacker wrote:Pierce/Sean Allen might have reminded us of the Rick Jones/Schloss days if only they had stayed here. They look like a very good, complementary combination.
I agree.

But they jumped ship on us, so I don't understand all the love being shown on our site. The King is dead; long live the KING!
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

you are creating arguments so you can knock them down. I don't think anyone said he wasn't a good coach. as someone else said, his recruiting was not stellar. I think we all would have been happy if he stayed, but if UT didn't get him I bet Rice would have.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Roller wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:Pierce/Sean Allen might have reminded us of the Rick Jones/Schloss days if only they had stayed here. They look like a very good, complementary combination.
I agree.

But they jumped ship on us, so I don't understand all the love being shown on our site. The King is dead; long live the KING!
exactly, i think everyone would have been happy if he stayed, but he left. great he is doing well, but does zero for us
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Yankeewave wrote:
Roller wrote:
I agree.

exactly, i think everyone would have been happy if he stayed, but he left. great he is doing well, but does zero for us
actually, it's a negative as he took Zubia with him
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Roller wrote:
I agree.

He got the program back on track to where it needed to be. I'm grateful for that, he was offered a job that he couldn't refuse, I don't fault him for leaving.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

visualmagic wrote:
Roller wrote:
I agree.

He got the program back on track to where it needed to be. I'm grateful for that, he was offered a job that he couldn't refuse, I don't fault him for leaving.
I bear him no animosity. I don't fault him for leaving. I DO feel like he abandoned us, though.

But what I don't get is the glorifying and incessant angst over "what if he were still here?".