Ryan Griffin

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Ryan Griffin

Post by tjtlja »

Ryan had a good game tonight - 20-26 with 107 QB rating.

Where do you’ll rank Ryan in relationship to King, Losman, and Ramsey?

Tanner was 4-8 for 37 yards and a 63 QB rating.
doncecco
President's Circle

Re: Ryan Griffin

Post by doncecco »

Saints 3rd and 4th string D was feasting on Tanner. He had a fumble and sacked several times - holds the ball much too long.
Bring home da Wave!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

tjtlja wrote:Ryan had a good game tonight - 20-26 with 107 QB rating.

Where do you’ll rank Ryan in relationship to King, Losman, and Ramsey?

Tanner was 4-8 for 37 yards and a 63 QB rating.
Griffin will have a much longer pro career than those guys and who knows may erupt at some point. Meanwhile how many folks have long term NFL careers even as subs?

I'm pulling for Lee but it's obviously in his case a literal pull.

If your question is at college level, King at the time was the best college QB I'd ever seen. Maybe then it was because the spread was unique to Tulane (or almost so.) So perhaps we give R Rod part of the credit. Since then King's relative success has been repeated by others as tens of teams have run the spread well.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Definitely meant pro career. I agree with King - a great college QB. I think Ryan is second best from a pro perspective, but he could challenge for the top spot if given a shot.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

tjtlja wrote:Definitely meant pro career. I agree with King - a great college QB. I think Ryan is second best from a pro perspective, but he could challenge for the top spot if given a shot.
To be fair Losman played a lot more than Griffin has (not sure he has any official NFL plays) and Shaun played in an NFC Championship game.

I'd go Ramsey-King-Losman.
Bring home da Wave!
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

sr wrote:Ryan getting it done last night -

https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 62432?s=20
Couldn't step into it because of the rush. Must have felt like he was back in college!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Continues to excel in third preseason game, with lots of Tampa media questioning if he should be the #2 QB (hence the starter for the first 3 weeks while Winston is suspended). But the HC, who has heaped praise on Griffin for years, remains adamant that Griffin will be #3 (though safe to make the roster). We'll see what happens.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

doncecco wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Definitely meant pro career. I agree with King - a great college QB. I think Ryan is second best from a pro perspective, but he could challenge for the top spot if given a shot.
To be fair Losman played a lot more than Griffin has (not sure he has any official NFL plays) and Shaun played in an NFC Championship game.

I'd go Ramsey-King-Losman.
Hard to rank Griffin better than any of them, he’s never even taken a snap.

Statistically speaking Losman put up by far the best single season. In 2006 he completed 62% of his passes, threw for over 3000 yards. Had 19 TD and 14 INT.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I hope Ryan gets a shot.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Ramsey could have had a much more productive pro career if he's have sucked up to Sonny Jurgensen (which I think was a key to success in the Redskin organization back then). He was accused of "holding out," although he was just following the Player's Association rules/guidelines, and without Jurgenson's support, the fans pretty much turned on him. Despite superior showings in the last preseason games, he was relegated to the backup position (the coaches bowed to the Altar of Sonny also), and from that point it seemed like his confidence suffered.

The same thing happened to Heath Shuler.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Roller wrote: The same thing happened to Heath Shuler.
Uhh, no.

And if I remember, Spurrier's Mickey Mouse offense didn't help Patrick either.
Bring home da Wave!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

doncecco wrote:
Uhh, no.

Yea, Ramsey’s failure was more to do with that offense and offensive line getting him killed on a weekly basis and then when Spurrier left, Gibbs wasn’t really interested in giving him a chance. Sonny Jurgensen wasn’t going to change that.
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

visualmagic wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Uhh, no.

Yea, Ramsey’s failure was more to do with that offense and offensive line getting him killed on a weekly basis and then when Spurrier left, Gibbs wasn’t really interested in giving him a chance. Sonny Jurgensen wasn’t going to change that.
Exaxctly, Spurrier is what derailed Ramsey. He continuously kept 5 blockers in and had five people in routes. The problem was, the 5 routes weren't short routes. Ramsey had to hold onto the ball too long and would get drilled. I remember watching a Dallas/Washington game and Dallas just killed him. He certainly knew how to take hits.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

SlidellWave wrote:He certainly knew how to take hits.
He can thank Tulane for that education... :oops:
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
SlidellWave wrote:He certainly knew how to take hits.
He can thank Tulane for that education... :oops:
We were decent when Patrick was playing for us
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Ryan was a year behind me in school. I once ran into him after hours on Maple St. This was spring, after the season was long over. I think I might have been the only person in the establishment who knew he was our starting qb besides the couple of other football players that were with him. I struck up a conversation and was struck by how nice he was. Many athletes didn't interact with the student body at large in my time at school, but Ryan talked to me like we got drinks every weekend. I really hope he gets a shot to play some this year and show what he's got.

As an aside, he told me during that conversation that he hoped to be drafted by the Cowboys. As that is the only other football team that's up there with LSU for me, I'm glad things worked out differently.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:As an aside, he told me during that conversation that he hoped to be drafted by the Cowboys. As that is the only other football team that's up there with LSU for me, I'm glad things worked out differently.
Snarky minds think alike. Both are my second favorite teams.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:We were decent when Patrick was playing for us
3-8, 6-5, 3-9. We have different definitions of "decent", I guess. 8)

tulaneoutlaw wrote:I struck up a conversation and was struck by how nice he was. Many athletes didn't interact with the student body at large in my time at school, but Ryan talked to me like we got drinks every weekend.
I'm kinda sad to hear that. In my day most athletes were out and about and very accessible. I kinda went out of my way to NOT only hang around other athletes. I was required to be around athletes most of the time so I enjoyed having friends who I could hang around with and NOT be "in that world". If I had to list my 20 closest friends at Tulane at my graduation, probably 19 of them were not athletes.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

PeteRasche wrote:

tulaneoutlaw wrote:I struck up a conversation and was struck by how nice he was. Many athletes didn't interact with the student body at large in my time at school, but Ryan talked to me like we got drinks every weekend.
I'm kinda sad to hear that. In my day most athletes were out and about and very accessible. I kinda went out of my way to NOT only hang around other athletes. I was required to be around athletes most of the time so I enjoyed having friends who I could hang around with and NOT be "in that world". If I had to list my 20 closest friends at Tulane at my graduation, probably 19 of them were not athletes.
It's a two way street, as well. I think the general lack of apathy toward athletics among many non-athlete students led them to not care about interacting unless they just had to in a group project. I worked in housing so I went out of my way to make friends with athletes when I could. Cairo Santos and Jonathan Ginsburg were both nice guys. Whenever I needed a hand moving furniture, Julius Warmsley was always willing to help. The athletes were usually nice, if you made it a point to meet them.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:

Pete's right from the other side, too. I knew several folks on multiple teams and never encountered any sort of bad attitude or inaccessibility; Anthony Reed was probably the biggest star on campus during most of my time there and I found him unfailingly polite and pleasant. Carlin Hartman was legit hilarious. It's sad that interactions seem to have gone downhill after we left.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I have a real Odd Couple story from the 70s. My longtime Tulane roommate who later went on to get his Doctorate of Public Health became very good friends with WR Alton Alexis. They met in a class but I don’t remember which one. My roommate was all of about 5’5” and weighed 120 lbs. with a book bag and knew nothing about football. He was this pasty, goggle-eyed bookworm from New Hampshire who spent weekends in Tilton studying. Alton would drop by our room often. Alton was the nicest guy and I think they both got a kick out of each other.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Fitzpatrick had a career day against hte Saints, so that probably does it for RG getting much playing time this year.

I was hoping the Saints' D would rattle FItz into a really bad day, then RG would come in and lead the Bucs to victory
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

WaveProf wrote:and lead the Bucs to victory
You close your whore mouth
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone