Caleb Daniels apparently transferring

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Re: Caleb Daniels apparently transferring

Unread post by GSx »

Wave Revival wrote:Has to be some tampering. Someone got into his ear and probably already figured out how he will be eligible immediately. College basketball is the dirtiest sport by far.
And that stuff happens regardless of a coaching change. The texts start flying the second the season is over.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

in addition to Caleb, Moses Wood and Crabtree have entered the portal. Which would, if they leave, pretty much gut our team for next year. As I opined much earlier, the Dunleavy hire will tun out to be a big body blow to this Program.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Unread post by angrywavedad »

GreenieBacker wrote:in addition to Caleb, Moses Wood and Crabtree have entered the portal. Which would, if they leave, pretty much gut our team for next year. As I opined much earlier, the Dunleavy hire will tun out to be a big body blow to this Program.
Feeling like this was going to happen with or without a new coach.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

what link shows Moses Wood entering the portal? I don't see one.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

angrywavedad wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:in addition to Caleb, Moses Wood and Crabtree have entered the portal. Which would, if they leave, pretty much gut our team for next year. As I opined much earlier, the Dunleavy hire will tun out to be a big body blow to this Program.
Feeling like this was going to happen with or without a new coach.
Well 'Tampering' can only happen with those who want to be 'Tampered' with.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

randy you're right, no word on Wood I read that incorrectly.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

Daniels will play for whomever he transfers to.. even if it was Duke or Kentucky... he has a lot of talent. I just hope he changes his mind and stays. Crabtree is more of a project.

This would be devastating if we lose Daniels and Crabtree and have to hold onto weaker players just to field a full squad next season.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

I am in the minority opinion but with four wins last year I do not think anyone is safe.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

IIRC, Osetkowski's only Div 1 (or certainly "best") D1 offer was from Tulane. It seemed similar for Daniels. (Didn't Dunleavy recruit him after watching him in a pickup game or the like?)

Key here will be if Daniels has to sit out a year after a transfer. If not, it will truly be open season on poaching other team's players. I'm in favor of adults managing their own careers but these facts and decisions don't make it any less disappointing as a Tulane fan.

I also see he is going to test waters on NBA draft so possible transfer may be moot.

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2019/04/cal ... hange.html

This is all teeth grinding but again this team's record was the worst in school history in over five decades. If Daniels and Sehic do successfully go pro now even if it's Europe, it's mind boggling how many gutter balls Dunleavy rolled with the talent he had.
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Unread post by Johnny4 »

Watching the press conference, I thought Moses Wood really looked like he did not want to be there.
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Unread post by TulaneTiger »

Daniels and Crabtree are like the only two main contributors that I really want back next season.

Hopefully they both decide to stay.
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Unread post by TulaneTiger »

Johnny4 wrote:Watching the press conference, I thought Moses Wood really looked like he did not want to be there.
For sure. He didn't look like he appreciated the comments about some players going to the barber.

His haircut is terrible, though.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Reading quotes from players from other schools entering the portal they all seem to say “I’m just testing the waters but it doesn’t mean I have ruled out returning to school X.”

It’s like saying “I’m going to see if I can get the prettier girl to go out with me. If not, will you take me back.”

Hunter is going to win at Tulane. Give it time.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

This will tell us a lot. Caleb is a pretty smart guy. Would he give up a Tulane degree to have an outside chance at the G League. Not to slight his ability, but there are too many Calebs out there and only a few will move on. Stick at Tulane - get the Degree and then pursue your dreams of the NBA/G-League. Crabtree needs to stick around. He will only thrive in Hunter's system. Needs to get stronger and be able to defend. At my age, I could go against him and win 55% of the time. :wink:
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

What bothers me the most is actually fielding a team this late in the process. How long can Hunter wait before he cuts bait. The late signing period is here and we have no idea who is coming or going and that sucks. I would demand an answer from these portal players by Friday. Stay and be the rebuilding blocks, or leave us now and kick them out the door. Too much to lose this late in the game.

Didn’t Pete say sometime this week that no one was transferring. Whoever was your source, please don’t use him again. Was he the same guy saying we were getting all the four star players?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote:Didn’t Pete say sometime this week that no one was transferring. Whoever was your source, please don’t use him again. Was he the same guy saying we were getting all the four star players?
My source simply said the body language made it seem like everyone was all in. Nobody talked to anybody and got definitive answers and I never said they did. Just that "it appeared" they were in. It's possible they're good actors (hey, they made it look like they still were bought into playing hard for MD all year). It's also possible that there have been meetings since the initial stuff and opinions changed.

And I don't know what you mean about the four star thing. I once noted that one of our former coaches was related (per Facebook posts) to a kid who was coming up as a high recruit so there was a good shot at him, but I don't think that kid is a senior yet, so that's moot.
LondonWave
Coach Level

Unread post by LondonWave »

I haven't been to a Tulane basketball game in over a year.

I was at the last conference game the team won.

If the whole team leaves, Tulane won't have a worse conference record in '19-'20 than this year.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Hoops departures? Tulane guards Caleb Daniels, Connor Crabtree enter transfer portal

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 6c47a.html

Daniels spoke positively about Hunter at the new coach’s introductory news conference last Tuesday, but a source revealed he and his father met with Hunter soon afterward to discuss his plan for the program.

conversation must have not gone too well, I guess :-D
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Makes me wonder if Daniels feels the talent in the program around him isn't good enough to win and he was feeling out Hunter for whether his "I'm gonna win with the people in this room" was just talk or whether he really meant it, and when Hunter said he meant it (and truly was not running anyone off), Daniels said "I'm outta here." Remember Hunter's comments about how players could leave if they didn't believe it... I wondered whether they'd believe it...
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

GreenieBacker wrote:Hoops departures? Tulane guards Caleb Daniels, Connor Crabtree enter transfer portal

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 6c47a.html

Daniels spoke positively about Hunter at the new coach’s introductory news conference last Tuesday, but a source revealed he and his father met with Hunter soon afterward to discuss his plan for the program.

conversation must have not gone too well, I guess :-D
Although not entirely the same, this story reminds me of when John Beilien took the Michigan job and the prior regime had recruited the Mr. Basketball of Michigan HS, and was one of the top prospects in the country. He and his parents (dad?) came in to talk with Beilien and asked about how he was going to run the team and his system. Beilien basically said that his system was a team concept in passing, defense and scheme, and the kid backed off of his commitment to Michigan because he wanted to be the main scorer. In the long run, I don't think that Michigan was hurt that much. Probably in the first season, but not later on.

I am in agreement with TUPF--we were 4-27 last year, things need to be blown up. If you're not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem. If Daniels doesn't want to be here, then don't let the door hit you. This free agency stuff is killing MBB, along with one-and-done, shoe contracts, etc.

We may be lousy next year, but Tulane will survive any personnel losses long-term. Onward. (Full-disclosure: I am a football fan first, last and always. Basketball is a distant second. But I want the brand to succeed).
Plan your work, work your plan.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote:Makes me wonder if Daniels feels the talent in the program around him isn't good enough to win and he was feeling out Hunter for whether his "I'm gonna win with the people in this room" was just talk or whether he really meant it, and when Hunter said he meant it (and truly was not running anyone off), Daniels said "I'm outta here." Remember Hunter's comments about how players could leave if they didn't believe it... I wondered whether they'd believe it...
I think you are spot on. I have mixed feelings on whether to strongly encourage guys to leave. On the one hand, we need more talent. However, we recruited these kids and it would just feel wrong to run off one of our guys that has a 4.0 GPA. Also, I like the idea of acting like we can win together if you believe in our system approach. He will need to get better players, but I kind of like the message of saying “I can win with you guys. Just believe.” Coming off a 4 win season and most high players committed it would tough to get great players for the upcoming season. We will need to grab some transfers of which there will be a ton.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter wrote: Although not entirely the same, this story reminds me of when John Beilien took the Michigan job and the prior regime had recruited the Mr. Basketball of Michigan HS, and was one of the top prospects in the country. He and his parents (dad?) came in to talk with Beilien and asked about how he was going to run the team and his system. Beilien basically said that his system was a team concept in passing, defense and scheme, and the kid backed off of his commitment to Michigan because he wanted to be the main scorer. In the long run, I don't think that Michigan was hurt that much. Probably in the first season, but not later on.
Well, Manny Harris is who you're thinking of, but he actually stayed with Michigan, was All Big 10 all three years then declared and went undrafted. Has had a good European career though.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

gerryb323 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote: Although not entirely the same, this story reminds me of when John Beilien took the Michigan job and the prior regime had recruited the Mr. Basketball of Michigan HS, and was one of the top prospects in the country. He and his parents (dad?) came in to talk with Beilien and asked about how he was going to run the team and his system. Beilien basically said that his system was a team concept in passing, defense and scheme, and the kid backed off of his commitment to Michigan because he wanted to be the main scorer. In the long run, I don't think that Michigan was hurt that much. Probably in the first season, but not later on.
Well, Manny Harris is who you're thinking of, but he actually stayed with Michigan, was All Big 10 all three years then declared and went undrafted. Has had a good European career though.
I stand corrected. Harris DID stay. Makes the point that Daniels can stay and still be a main producer in a proven system that will help his team win more ball games. I believe Hunter's main point is that you can be a winner if you BELIEVE you can be and act accordingly. Pretty strong message, if you ask me.
Plan your work, work your plan.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Hunter strikes me as a high energy, confident guy who, like WF, believes in his system because he's won with it wherever he's been. The guys that stay have to buy into it if not, they're better off elsewhere. That said, Caleb struck me as one player who would do very well in the kind of system Hunter runs. Plus I enjoyed watching him play and would be sorry to see him go. If he doe go.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

NJwave wrote: I have mixed feelings on whether to strongly encourage guys to leave. On the one hand, we need more talent. However, we recruited these kids and it would just feel wrong to run off one of our guys that has a 4.0 GPA.
Why?

And I say this as someone who has gotten a lot of flack for being 110% opposed to pulling scholarships in any sport based on on the field performance. If the player is trying hard and not causing off the field problems, then it's the coach's own darn fault for recruiting him, not the athlete's, and with a system largely stacked against the athlete, I think it's wrong to ever pull the scholly. And I've gotten a lot of flack for that.

But even I have no qualms with "strongly encouraging" someone to leave. If their talent level isn't where you want it. If you don't see them playing in the future. Make that abundantly clear. And then abundantly clear again. And offer to help the kid find a landing spot. Do everything you can to grease the way out the door because you aren't doing yourself OR the athlete any favors by pretending otherwise. If he wants to come to practice every day and bust his hind end to keep his scholly and get a Tulane decision, that's his decision. But "strongly encourage"...... pshhh....... I don't see any problem with that.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16