Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:13 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:24 am
Posts: 30476
Location: Chattanooga, TN
There are like 450 names in the transfer portal, including Alabama's entire team (almost). If Daniels leaves (I don't want him too), hopefully Hunter can hit the portal and just rebuild for right now (which is not good for the long run) and then start recruiting the "normal" way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:17 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2895
Location: Baton Rouge
WaveProf wrote:
NJwave wrote:
I have mixed feelings on whether to strongly encourage guys to leave. On the one hand, we need more talent. However, we recruited these kids and it would just feel wrong to run off one of our guys that has a 4.0 GPA.


Why?

And I say this as someone who has gotten a lot of flack for being 110% opposed to pulling scholarships in any sport based on on the field performance. If the player is trying hard and not causing off the field problems, then it's the coach's own darn fault for recruiting him, not the athlete's, and with a system largely stacked against the athlete, I think it's wrong to ever pull the scholly. And I've gotten a lot of flack for that.

But even I have no qualms with "strongly encouraging" someone to leave. If their talent level isn't where you want it. If you don't see them playing in the future. Make that abundantly clear. And then abundantly clear again. And offer to help the kid find a landing spot. Do everything you can to grease the way out the door because you aren't doing yourself OR the athlete any favors by pretending otherwise. If he wants to come to practice every day and bust his hind end to keep his scholly and get a Tulane decision, that's his decision. But "strongly encourage"...... pshhh....... I don't see any problem with that.


Well said prof. I can personally attest to players being lied to about their being giving opportunities to prove they can play. What many who have never been part of a D1 football program is that there are so many players and the observable talent and skill difference is so narrow between the 2nd and 5th person on the depth chart that many never get an opportunity.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:24 pm 
Offline
Junior

Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:19 pm
Posts: 17
I don't think there is a "normal way of recruiting" anymore. The NCAA has screwed up this sport so bad and is doing in football alsol


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:42 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4653
With Wood, Daniels and Crabtree entering the portal and Sehic turning pro, unless I am missing somebody I think we are currently at 7 players for next year. They are:

Ona-Embo
Walker
Ajang
Koka
Barrett
Zhang
Days


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:48 pm 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:49 pm
Posts: 218
I’d be shocked if Ona Embo returned.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:11 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 12:59 pm
Posts: 355
angrywavedad wrote:
I’d be shocked if Ona Embo returned.

Yeah lol I'd say no chance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:23 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Posts: 3249
Location: New Orleans
why shocked? why no chance? based on what info? not criticizing...just haven't seen any concrete info anywhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:14 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3462
I wonder what Hunter said in the meeting to Daniels and his father that immediately led to him putting his name in the portal. He was the only kid on the team you couldn't lose and Hunter couldn't convince him to stay. Daniels was the biggest recruit on Tulane's board.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:54 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2915
tjtlja wrote:
I wonder what Hunter said in the meeting to Daniels and his father that immediately led to him putting his name in the portal. He was the only kid on the team you couldn't lose and Hunter couldn't convince him to stay. Daniels was the biggest recruit on Tulane's board.


There’s not a single player on the roster worth losing sleep over.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:47 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19086
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
visualmagic wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
I wonder what Hunter said in the meeting to Daniels and his father that immediately led to him putting his name in the portal. He was the only kid on the team you couldn't lose and Hunter couldn't convince him to stay. Daniels was the biggest recruit on Tulane's board.
There’s not a single player on the roster worth losing sleep over.
On this we are in violent agreement. We won four games. Four.

I look at this as Perry Clark, Year Zero. If Hunter wants to hold dorm tryouts I say go for it.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:43 am 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:49 pm
Posts: 218
Daniels will be missed. The rest are system players at this level, and if they can find a more suitable system so be it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:48 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6569
Look at who made NIT All Tourney Team. May Hunter be the guy who can figure out how to make our players winners at Tulane and not just a farm team for other successful programs as the last two incumbents appear to have done after uncovering these diamonds in the rough.

https://texassports.com/documents/2019/ ... f?id=13044


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:27 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19086
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Baywave1 wrote:
Look at who made NIT All Tourney Team. May Hunter be the guy who can figure out how to make our players winners at Tulane and not just a farm team for other successful programs as the last two incumbents appear to have done after uncovering these diamonds in the rough.

https://texassports.com/documents/2019/ ... f?id=13044
We gave Dylan some grief for leaving but it looks like he made the correct move for him.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:38 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20592
Location: New Orleans
The only question you have to ask yourself is whether playing for MD, given MD's NBA connections and knowledge of what the NBA is looking for............would that have improved his chances to play in the NBA.

Selfishly, I would have loved to see him play with Frazier and Reynolds two years ago, he could have been a difference maker.

_________________
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:56 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 15160
TUPF wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
Look at who made NIT All Tourney Team. May Hunter be the guy who can figure out how to make our players winners at Tulane and not just a farm team for other successful programs as the last two incumbents appear to have done after uncovering these diamonds in the rough.

https://texassports.com/documents/2019/ ... f?id=13044
We gave Dylan some grief for leaving but it looks like he made the correct move for him.


He looks happy

Image

_________________
“We want to win at everything”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:16 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Posts: 3249
Location: New Orleans
Sehic's stats this past season were as good...if not slightly better...than Dylan O's.
DO was 11 ppg; 7 Rebs; 31% from 3-pt and 44 pct from field overall.
Sehic closer to 12 ppg; 8 rebs; 30% from 3; and 45 pct overall.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:22 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5841
Location: Wichita
randymc wrote:
Sehic's stats this past season were as good...if not slightly better...than Dylan O's.
DO was 11 ppg; 7 Rebs; 31% from 3-pt and 44 pct from field overall.
Sehic closer to 12 ppg; 8 rebs; 30% from 3; and 45 pct overall.

Sehic was also like our 2nd and at time 1st best player. Dylan was maybe 3rd at UT

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking - ESPECIALLY PUNTING!!!
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:24 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Posts: 3249
Location: New Orleans
Dylan O. was an average player


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:39 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3462
visualmagic wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
I wonder what Hunter said in the meeting to Daniels and his father that immediately led to him putting his name in the portal. He was the only kid on the team you couldn't lose and Hunter couldn't convince him to stay. Daniels was the biggest recruit on Tulane's board.


There’s not a single player on the roster worth losing sleep over.


Except Daniels


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:18 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10372
randymc wrote:
Dylan O. was an average player

Average for who? Not for Texas, where he lead the team in starts, rebounds, and steals, was 2nd in scoring, 3rd in mpg, and, for the more statistically inclined, led in win shares and was 2nd in box +/- and PER. You can make a credible argument he was their best player. Nor for Tulane, where he was basically our best player as a soph. He might have been an "average" player for Duke, but there's not a team in the country he couldn't have helped.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:19 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2915
gerryb323 wrote:
randymc wrote:
Sehic's stats this past season were as good...if not slightly better...than Dylan O's.
DO was 11 ppg; 7 Rebs; 31% from 3-pt and 44 pct from field overall.
Sehic closer to 12 ppg; 8 rebs; 30% from 3; and 45 pct overall.

Sehic was also like our 2nd and at time 1st best player. Dylan was maybe 3rd at UT


And Texas played a much tougher schedule


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:44 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 21461
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Per Jeff Goodman who seems to have the best connections in the transfer world, Daniels appears leaning towards Villanova. He points out the old Kerry Kittles tie from St. Aug (which may or may not actually matter).

Daniels, "is also considering Ohio State, Texas Tech, Baylor, Xavier, Georgia Tech, TCU, Iowa State, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Nevada, and Seton Hall."

So,
1. Don't count on him returning, and
2. Who said he wouldn't have that many offers of significance?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:52 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 21452
Location: North Kenner
FW wrote:
There are like 450 names in the transfer portal, including Alabama's entire team (almost). If Daniels leaves (I don't want him too), hopefully Hunter can hit the portal and just rebuild for right now (which is not good for the long run) and then start recruiting the "normal" way.

Do you mean you also hopes he leaves or hoping he doesn’t? :wink:

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:15 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6569
PeteRasche wrote:
Per Jeff Goodman who seems to have the best connections in the transfer world, Daniels appears leaning towards Villanova. He points out the old Kerry Kittles tie from St. Aug (which may or may not actually matter).

Daniels, "is also considering Ohio State, Texas Tech, Baylor, Xavier, Georgia Tech, TCU, Iowa State, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Nevada, and Seton Hall."

So,
1. Don't count on him returning, and
2. Who said he wouldn't have that many offers of significance?


So does Mr. Goodman identify anyone leaning to Tulane?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:18 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:19 am
Posts: 3039
Location: Destin, FL
https://twitter.com/sterlingmyhre/statu ... 63298?s=21


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group