Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:16 pm 
President's Circle

I’ll say that Daniels should leave if Villanova wants him. We all would be lying if we wouldn’t encourage our own kids to do that. I’ll also say he was gone even if Dunleavy was coaching if these options are true.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:11 pm 
President's Circle

Donny Z wrote:
https://twitter.com/sterlingmyhre/status/1121493335204663298?s=21

I hope he stays but I don’t trust Sterling Myhre as a source

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:
I’ll say that Daniels should leave if Villanova wants him. We all would be lying if we wouldn’t encourage our own kids to do that. I’ll also say he was gone even if Dunleavy was coaching if these options are true.

No
I can understand if he did go. But should go is factory speak.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:35 am 
Regent's Circle

GSx wrote:
NJwave wrote:

No
I can understand if he did go. But should go is factory speak.

This. I know Fritz. He certainly would go down swinging for any player he wants. (Painful example number one: Mr. Scott.)

Obviously I have had minimal exposure to Hunter and staff. They strike me as having the same attitude as Fritz. Maybe Hunter's talk about winning immediately was asprational but he knows he needs talent to do it and Daniels is already here. He is surely (re-)recruiting him very hard to walk his win now talk.

Finally Daniels is very very close to his family. His father was at every home game recording them on his iPad and he usually had other relatives attend as well. His family won't make many games in Philly. He may leave but I don't think the 60/40 odds quoted above are irrational.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:26 am 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
Daniels is very very close to his family. His father was at every home game recording them on his iPad and he usually had other relatives attend as well.
His father is also a very well-known AAU coach and probably is focused on his son's chances at the NBA. Yes you can make the NBA from a bad team as well as from a good team, but being a starter on a really good team against top competition on "the flagship" almost every game is probably a significant siren song. I have no idea what went down, but remember it was reported that Caleb and his father had a meeting with Tulane coaches after Hunter's press conference and almost immediately thereafter Daniels put his name in the portal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:49 am 
Regent's Circle

No one will be surprised if he leaves. As I said there are a lot of reasons to stay. We'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:50 am 
Emerald Circle

Keep Daniels and get this player today and we’ll be in really good shape starting off the Hunter regime.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:21 am 
Navigator Level

We had two guys from from last years team(even more puzzling why we’ve sucked)make the NBA plus Hunters son is in the NBA so this idea that Daniels has to go somewhere else to improve his NBA stock is garbage. Does he want to sit for a year or continue playing right away?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:53 am 
Regent's Circle

Wave Revival wrote:
We had two guys from from last years team(even more puzzling why we’ve sucked)make the NBA plus Hunters son is in the NBA so this idea that Daniels has to go somewhere else to improve his NBA stock is garbage. Does he want to sit for a year or continue playing right away?

Exemptions are handed out like candy these days; I very much doubt he'll actually have to sit if he leaves.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:55 am 
Emerald Circle

Wave Revival wrote:
this idea that Daniels has to go somewhere else to improve his NBA stock is garbage.
Don't tell us, tell the Daniels family.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:10 am 
Navigator Level

Villanova is Big East, we are AAC, conference opposition and TV exposure are comparable. They are an established winner, we aspire to be one with a coach convinced he'll get there quick, with the advantage of getting to stay home. Coach Hunter will either succeed in selling that or he'll go down swinging as was pointed out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:30 am 
Emerald Circle

tufinal4 wrote:
Villanova is Big East, we are AAC, conference opposition and TV exposure are comparable. They are an established winner, we aspire to be one with a coach convinced he'll get there quick, with the advantage of getting to stay home. Coach Hunter will either succeed in selling that or he'll go down swinging as was pointed out.
As ridiculous as it will sound, we are not that far from being successful. When I started working in Philadelphia, Villanova was mostly a commuter school for the first generation children of Italian immigrants. Basketball was mostly a way for the suburban school to claim a connection with the other Philadelphia basketball schools like Temple, Penn, LaSalle, St. Joseph’s, and sometimes Drexel. Villanova’s campus emptied out on weekends for kids to have Sunday dinner in South Philly. Villanova hoops blew up with the formation of the Big East and the preposterous national championship under Rollie Massimino but even then Villanova was still in transition to becoming a destination school and not just a place for Catholics who couldn’t get into Notre Dame.

We have the underpinnings to have success but for all the reasons we know; bad hires, unfocused administration, etc.; we did not keep the fires stoked after the Perry Clark spike. Hunter may be the guy to get us there with his uncontained enthusiasm and we shall see but I believe we are a sleeping giant.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:00 am 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
tufinal4 wrote:
As ridiculous as it will sound, we are not that far from being successful. When I started working in Philadelphia, Villanova was mostly a commuter school for the first generation children of Italian immigrants. Basketball was mostly a way for the suburban school to claim a connection with the other Philadelphia basketball schools like Temple, Penn, LaSalle, St. Joseph’s, and sometimes Drexel. Villanova’s campus emptied out on weekends for kids to have Sunday dinner in South Philly. Villanova hoops blew up with the formation of the Big East and the preposterous national championship under Rollie Massimino but even then Villanova was still in transition to becoming a destination school and not just a place for Catholics who couldn’t get into Notre Dame.

We have the underpinnings to have success but for all the reasons we know; bad hires, unfocused administration, etc.; we did not keep the fires stoked after the Perry Clark spike. Hunter may be the guy to get us there with his uncontained enthusiasm and we shall see but I believe we are a sleeping giant.

Hope so. At the moment, it feels like everyone is leaving and no one is coming in.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:38 am 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
Villanova hoops blew up with the formation of the Big East and the preposterous national championship under Rollie Massimino
And to this day, the only game in NCAA tourney history where a team shot better than Villanova did in that championship game ... was Oklahoma State in 1992, against Tulane... :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:17 pm 
President's Circle

After 4 wins and a coaching change, it would be a miracle to bring in big time recruits immediately. I believe in Hunter and we will win because the players on the roster will buy in to what he is doing and his style of play can work with lesser talent. We will see something we haven’t seen in years - team basketball. The recruits will come down the road when we start winning.

Daniels is very talented but if he wants to leave so be it. Let’s start beating Temple before we even mention Villanova.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:56 pm 
Cornerstone

waverider wrote:
FW wrote:
There are like 450 names in the transfer portal, including Alabama's entire team (almost). If Daniels leaves (I don't want him too), hopefully Hunter can hit the portal and just rebuild for right now (which is not good for the long run) and then start recruiting the "normal" way.

Do you mean you also hopes he leaves or hoping he doesn’t? :wink:

typo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:32 am 
Regent's Circle

A picture's worth a thousand words - anyone see staying or leaving ???

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:01 am 
Regent's Circle

sr wrote:

No?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:29 am 
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
sr wrote:

No?

Leaving for somewhere that will buy him a tie?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:33 am 
Regent's Circle

NJwave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
sr wrote:

No?

Leaving for somewhere that will buy him a tie?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:58 am 
Regent's Circle

sr wrote:

It looks like an awards ceremony where Caleb presented an award. Oh wait, that's exactly what it was.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:43 am 
Navigator Level

Looks like he needs a haircut and Ron Hunter is the man for the job. So staying.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:08 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Villanova hoops blew up with the formation of the Big East and the preposterous national championship under Rollie Massimino
And to this day, the only game in NCAA tourney history where a team shot better than Villanova did in that championship game ... was Oklahoma State in 1992, against Tulane... :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:15 pm 
Emerald Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:

Had the exact same thought. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:54 pm 
Riptide Level

That photo says Hello G League or Europe.

https://twitter.com/GuidoGuida/status/1 ... 89184?s=20

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next