Gene Newton dies, aged 84

In memory of Howie, Sr., get Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
long green
Cornerstone

Gene Newton dies, aged 84

Post by long green »

https://crescentcitysports.com/former-t ... ies-at-84/

Newton was one of the few true stars of the bad old days of the deemphasis, ranking behind only Tommy Mason and Richie Petitbon. In that period Tulane had its best teams when Newton was the quarterback. If you are a multi-generational Tulane fan you probably heard your Dad talk about Gene Newton. RIP.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this

Private Joker
Navigator Level

Re: Gene Newton dies, aged 84

Post by Private Joker »

Thanks for posting this. I had not heard of this guy. My late father, also a Greenie, knew Newton's name well I'm sure.

Billow
Coach Level

Post by Billow »

The Mouse as he was labeled. Wasn’t a big guy but could really run. Led Byrd to championship game in high school & helped Tulane beat Auburn in either 55 & 56 when they were ranked in top 5 in country. I hope it’s an omen.

djh
Coach Level

Post by djh »

Billow wrote:The Mouse as he was labeled. Wasn’t a big guy but could really run. Led Byrd to championship game in high school & helped Tulane beat Auburn in either 55 & 56 when they were ranked in top 5 in country. I hope it’s an omen.
He also ran something like 80 yards in the mud at Jackson, Miss. to beat Ole Miss.
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'

djh
Coach Level

Post by djh »

long green wrote:https://crescentcitysports.com/former-t ... ies-at-84/

Newton was one of the few true stars of the bad old days of the deemphasis, ranking behind only Tommy Mason and Richie Petitbon. In that period Tulane had its best teams when Newton was the quarterback. If you are a multi-generational Tulane fan you probably heard your Dad talk about Gene Newton. RIP.
I guess I'm a multi-generational guy cause I saw him play, along with Mason and Petibon. Those were some fun times. Of course I was only 10 or 11 at the time.
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'