Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:10 pm 
Emerald Circle

Sad article - "They had their eyes on former UCLA head coach Bob Toledo." This publication that I've never heard of (although the author's name sounds familiar) has published 2 Tulane articles today.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... h-get-away

Here's the other one. This one's nice.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... old-tulane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:24 pm 
Cornerstone

IIRC, Harbaugh was offered the job but did not immediately accept it, waiting to see if the Stanford offer would come through. When the Sanford post came through, he turned us down.

A properly researched article would have also made reference to the time we chose to hire Clark Shaugnessy instead of Knute Rockne, back in 1915 (although that didn't turn out so bad).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:31 pm 
President's Circle

Roller wrote:
IIRC, Harbaugh was offered the job but did not immediately accept it, waiting to see if the Stanford offer would come through. When the Sanford post came through, he turned us down.

A properly researched article would have also made reference to the time we chose to hire Clark Shaugnessy instead of Knute Rockne, back in 1915 (although that didn't turn out so bad).

I thought we offered him, he wanted to go interview with Stanford, so RD moved on. I could be wrong, I was deployed at the time and sobriety is a mother trucker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:37 pm 
Cornerstone

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
I thought we offered him, he wanted to go interview with Stanford, so RD moved on. ...
You may be right. Either I didn't know what was going on beneath the Cone of Silence or mine was not a "properly researched" post. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:41 pm 
President's Circle

Roller wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
I thought we offered him, he wanted to go interview with Stanford, so RD moved on. ...
You may be right. Either I didn't know what was going on beneath the Cone of Silence or mine was not a "properly researched" post. :-)

It's probably one of those things where we'll never know what really happened due to the infamous Come of Silence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:01 pm 
Navigator Level

I think this paper is a right-wing rag from D.C.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:15 pm 
Navigator Level

Roller wrote:

That's what happened.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:52 am 
Emerald Circle

GSx wrote:
Sad article - "They had their eyes on former UCLA head coach Bob Toledo." This publication that I've never heard of (although the author's name sounds familiar) has published 2 Tulane articles today.

Quin Hillyer is from New Orleans

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:41 pm 
Cornerstone

ml wave wrote:
GSx wrote:

Victor Law (Chem E Professor) is Quinn's uncle. Prof. Law is a big-time Tulane fan., and a member here (assuming he's still with us; I swapped a few emails with him when he first came aboard YOGWF, but I don't remember what his username was).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:05 pm 
Regent's Circle

Roller wrote:
ml wave wrote:
GSx wrote:

Victor Law (Chem E Professor) is Quinn's uncle. Prof. Law is a big-time Tulane fan., and a member here (assuming he's still with us; I swapped a few emails with him when he first came aboard YOGWF, but I don't remember what his username was).

Wavery would know if Professor Law is still with us.. he was one of my foresome in a Tulane charity golf tournament in Biloxi in the early 2000s... he used to post on here occasionally

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:30 pm 
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
Private Joker wrote:
I think this paper is a right-wing rag from D.C.

outside of the good pub Tulane has gotten from it, it's a piece of shiat newspaper.... right wing rag doesn't quite put it far right enough

Is this a political or sports forum? Examiner founders didn’t like the product from the existing DC media so they started their own periodical. Isn’t that why YOGWF exists? Because existing local media outlets didn’t serve the interests of this community?

You don’t like the Examiner’s output, ignore it or go to Huff Post or wherever you prefer and blast away. Meanwhile most of us here prefer that YOGWF remain non-political. Don’t you?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:20 pm 
Navigator Level

Agreed Baywave! Let's not bring political opinion into this forum. We're all Tulane fans...let's not go any further than that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:19 pm 
Emerald Circle

Agreed, the space on this forum should be safe for those who don't want to read other's opinions on the quality of political publications.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:24 pm 
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote:
Agreed, the space on this forum should be safe for those who don't want to read other's opinions on the quality of political publications.

then don't read it... the comment I mean.. not the whole forum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:

C'mon, man. If that rule stands then why have any rules at all? Just because you are a mod doesn't mean you should get to post political thoughts when no one else can.

Why, if windy were here, he'd [redacted]. :jerry: :jerry: :jerry:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:20 pm 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:

C'mon, man. If that rule stands then why have any rules at all? Just because you are a mod doesn't mean you should get to post political thoughts when no one else can.

Why, if windy were here, he'd [redacted]. :jerry: :jerry: :jerry:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:45 am 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Clearly too subtle, my bad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:26 am 
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:

It's not a "political thought"... it's a clear classification of what the Examiner IS.. it is a right wing newspaper.. not a political viewpoint, a fact.. and to get political for just a second, I'm NOT a liberal.

I consider it a POS because it's not a very good newspaper, not because of what direction it leans.

In re the Tulane op ed, while great pub, was poorly written.. it appeared to have so much more to be said and it just ended, awkwardly. I appreciated the story, but to me it appeared the author grew tired of writing so he just stopped.

Regardless, I deleted the original comment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:19 am 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:

It's not a "political thought"... it's a clear classification of what the Examiner IS.. it is a right wing newspaper.. not a political viewpoint, a fact.. and to get political for just a second, I'm NOT a liberal.

I consider it a POS because it's not a very good newspaper, not because of what direction it leans.

In re the Tulane op ed, while great pub, was poorly written.. it appeared to have so much more to be said and it just ended, awkwardly. I appreciated the story, but to me it appeared the author grew tired of writing so he just stopped.

Regardless, I deleted the original comment.
Which is why I said that you gave an opinion on the quality (not the politics) of the publication.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

I do agree that both of the Tulane stories were poorly written. And I hate saying that about a Tulane story written by a Tulane person.