Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:51 pm 
Emerald Circle

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_20e285f0-33e9-11ea-92b4-7f2e21479a2d.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:31 pm 
Emerald Circle

This should be in the former player section

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:46 pm 
Cornerstone

It’s fine here for a couple of days so people can see it. Then we’ll move it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:04 pm 
Emerald Circle

FW wrote:
It’s fine here for a couple of days so people can see it. Then we’ll move it.

P
Considering he was off the team before the season started I feel besmirching the program unnecessarily is not in the spirit of the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:25 pm 
President's Circle

A couple of odd things in the story. She stayed and waited for a ride and then shared a ride back to her home after he allegedly raped her? The article says she ran in to the house and told her boyfriend Ajang assaulted her. Did she say or do anything in the car? It strikes me as really odd. He was such a scumbag that he could rape a woman, but cared enough about her to make sure she got home ok? Also, bail on a rape charge is only $10,000?

I hope the police are interviewing the Uber/Lyft driver. I think it would likely be very telling.

I have seen statistics that show that the vast majority of accusers are telling the truth and I strongly believe that to be true. However, the story as presented gives me pause.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:53 pm 
Coach Level

As per Hunter he was still a part of the team according to the OP-
“He’s going to stay on scholarship and be my personal assistant coach,” Hunter said at the time. “I just don’t think you should run kids off because of an illness or something like that. He’s going to be with us until he graduates here and, if he wants to stay with us, after he graduates.”

Last edited by wavedom on Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:19 am 
President's Circle

NJwave wrote:
A couple of odd things in the story. She stayed and waited for a ride and then shared a ride back to her home after he allegedly raped her? The article says she ran in to the house and told her boyfriend Ajang assaulted her. Did she say or do anything in the car? It strikes me as really odd. He was such a scumbag that he could rape a woman, but cared enough about her to make sure she got home ok? Also, bail on a rape charge is only $10,000?

I hope the police are interviewing the Uber/Lyft driver. I think it would likely be very telling.

I have seen statistics that show that the vast majority of accusers are telling the truth and I strongly believe that to be true. However, the story as presented gives me pause.

In times after the Duke case, there should always be pause before judging someone. The young man should get the opportunity to prove his innocence, of course. These cases are so hard to figure out what really happened, especially if they were both drunk.

The comment about no visible injuries is pretty significant.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:48 am 
Regent's Circle

This is why we have juries and courts. These are complicated facts and they can decide if the behavior was criminal.

Tulane’s policy is you’re off the team until the criminal case is resolved. Meanwhile you can stay in school. He’s not returning to the program this year and possibly never.

Finally Koka is not in Hunter’s rotation and at best will probably play only a handful of minutes in conference games. Without his longtime colleague to boot, he may move on next year as well.

If so, this would be a sad ending to Dunleavy’s recruiting experiment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:05 am 
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:

Thankfully, I don't think any of us have any idea how we'd react in such a situation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:31 pm 
Regent's Circle

I have to laugh at the "that's why we have juries and courts"... if you're familiar at all about Title IX cases, the defendants aren't allowed anything the remotely resembles due process... I believe they can have an attorney present, but witnesses are treated like criminals themselves... and I say this with knowledge of 1 particular Title IX case at Tulane recently. The offending student was immediately kicked out of school... before the hearing. Guilty until proven innocent.