Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:49 pm 
Emerald Circle

Gotta figure, with what he's been through, if he gets a P5 offer, he's gonna jump at it. The fact he chose to sit the bench at a P5 (over likely starting at a G5) already would imply he values that label a lot, and a year in juco would probably make it feel like a huge win just to get back to a P5.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:04 pm 
Emerald Circle

kansas is pretty bad. i think we have a shot versus them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:26 pm 
President's Circle

Yankeewave wrote:
kansas is pretty godawful, horrifically,really, horribly bad. i think we have a shot versus them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:30 pm 
Regent's Circle

Yankeewave wrote:

I'm really surprised no one in the Big Ten has offered. Pretty good league, but no one returning is really a good one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:04 am 
Regent's Circle

Yankeewave wrote:

Kentucky is next offer??? :green wink:

Next recruiting question: can Lindsay dunk it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:13 am 
Emerald Circle

Here's a story in the advocate reprinted from the Biloxi paper about Scott's next step. If we really want him and I'm pretty sure we do then HE needs to end this right now and commit. It would make for a sizable local recruiting story - our first since CJ got Darion Monroe - which could help us with some other good recruits on the fence. And oh, it might help us lock up good QB'ing through the 2020 season. But if the staff really want him then it's up to him to do what he should have done two years ago.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... ign=buffer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:19 am 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
Here's a story in the advocate reprinted from the Biloxi paper about Scott's next step. If we really want him and I'm pretty sure we do then HE needs to end this right now and commit. It would make for a sizable local recruiting story - our first since CJ got Darion Monroe - which could help us with some other good recruits on the fence. And oh, it might help us lock up good QB'ing through the 2020 season. But if the staff really want him then it's up to him to do what he should have done two years ago.

My impression after reading that article is that Scott is looking at Tulane as a last resort of sorts--we've been the most interested for quite some time (since HS), but he won't commit. I just get the feeling that he is waiting for something better to come along and Kansas or NM St. aren't it. Maybe he is waiting for a Spread team and doesn't like our offense. Frankly, between McLain, Daniels and Brantley, I think we'll be all right with or without Mr. Scott.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 am 
Regent's Circle

This is like “it’s a lock Ohtani is going to the Yankees. “
Who bleeping knows what Scott will do?

I’m just glad Tulane is recruiting him. Believe in the Fritz!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 am 
President's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
This is like “it’s a lock Ohtani is going to the Yankees. “
Who bleeping knows what Scott will do?

I’m just glad Tulane is recruiting him. Believe in the Fritz!

Ohtani is afraid to be a Yankee, allegedly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:02 pm 
Emerald Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
long green wrote:

My impression after reading that article is that Scott is looking at Tulane as a last resort of sorts--we've been the most interested for quite some time (since HS), but he won't commit. I just get the feeling that he is waiting for something better to come along and Kansas or NM St. aren't it. Maybe he is waiting for a Spread team and doesn't like our offense. Frankly, between McLain, Daniels and Brantley, I think we'll be all right with or without Mr. Scott.

Not since HS but since Fritz was hired. Scott was still committed to Syracuse at that time and CJ hadn't been recruiting him.* As for whether or not we're all right I think the coaches have cast their vote. If I were them and I was convinced after one season that McClain was a future winner** I'd have wished Scott well and moved on. Brantley and Daniels don't enter into it, IMO.

* remember Jack Abraham? Like Scott he also went JUCO after one year and did well. He just committed to Southern Miss. Just thought I'd mention it.

** that means beating out Brantley next spring at a minimum.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:21 pm 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
long green wrote:

Not since HS but since Fritz was hired. Scott was still committed to Syracuse at that time and CJ hadn't been recruiting him.* As for whether or not we're all right I think the coaches have cast their vote. If I were them and I was convinced after one season that McClain was a future winner** I'd have wished Scott well and moved on. Brantley and Daniels don't enter into it, IMO.

* remember Jack Abraham? Like Scott he also went JUCO after one year and did well. He just committed to Southern Miss. Just thought I'd mention it.

** that means beating out Brantley next spring at a minimum.

Has Fourcade transferred to LSU yet?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:53 pm 
Emerald Circle

WWL had a short story about Scott and Tulane's recruiting of him. Basically a rehash of the Advocate article but with video.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:43 am 
Coach Level

OGSB wrote:
WWL had a short story about Scott and Tulane's recruiting of him. Basically a rehash of the Advocate article but with video.

Scott is taking his time. I don't attribute that to lack of interest in Tulane, but rather more of having made a quick decision to go to LSU once they offered and that not working out. I think he is open to going to a good school with a stable staff and heavy pass spread offense that really wants him, but where is that? It would have to be a bigger school. While Tulane is wants him, we haven't shown the desire to pass the pall much outside of the last two games of the season and when we were down big to USF. If there is pause on Scott's part concerning Tulane that is the likely the reason.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:57 am 
President's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
OGSB wrote:

Scott is taking his time. I don't attribute that to lack of interest in Tulane, but rather more of having made a quick decision to go to LSU once they offered and that not working out. I think he is open to going to a good school with a stable staff and heavy pass spread offense that really wants him, but where is that? It would have to be a bigger school. While Tulane is wants him, we haven't shown the desire to pass the pall much outside of the last two games of the season and when we were down big to USF. If there is pause on Scott's part concerning Tulane that is the likely the reason.

Thanks, Poseidon, your post makes as much sense as any. Regarding Scott, he should use his criteria and write down all the schools that meet it. Off the top of my head, I think Duke, Texas Tech, Washington St., SMU, Memphis. He should approach those schools to gauge interest. How many of those are interested and have a QB situation of need? Tulane fits, but we have been a majority run-the-ball offense because of our talent at RB (and lack of pass protection from the OL) and currently are not the passing scheme he wants. I do believe we CAN be a passing team with this offense, we just need to get more talent to be the passing team he wants. A QB is one part of that; Mooney and Encalade are good enough WRs to pass, we just didn't see the production from them until the latter part of the season; the OL must improve. We need to sharpen our short passing game so as to throw out to the RBs more. But the potential is there. I suspect if you are correct, he won't be a commit until the perfect situation comes along or on February 5, whichever comes first.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:10 am 
Regent's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
OGSB wrote:

Thanks, Poseidon, your post makes as much sense as any. Regarding Scott, he should use his criteria and write down all the schools that meet it. Off the top of my head, I think Duke, Texas Tech, Washington St., SMU, Memphis. He should approach those schools to gauge interest. How many of those are interested and have a QB situation of need? Tulane fits, but we have been a majority run-the-ball offense because of our talent at RB (and lack of pass protection from the OL) and currently are not the passing scheme he wants. I do believe we CAN be a passing team with this offense, we just need to get more talent to be the passing team he wants. A QB is one part of that; Mooney and Encalade are good enough WRs to pass, we just didn't see the production from them until the latter part of the season; the OL must improve. We need to sharpen our short passing game so as to throw out to the RBs more. But the potential is there. I suspect if you are correct, he won't be a commit until the perfect situation comes along or on February 5, whichever comes first.

From the Advocate article -
Quote:
“I’m going to let it play out until signing day (Dec. 20),” he said. “ I want to make my visits and don’t want to rush anything.”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:16 am 
President's Circle

sr wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
OGSB wrote:

From the Advocate article -
Quote:
“I’m going to let it play out until signing day (Dec. 20),” he said. “ I want to make my visits and don’t want to rush anything.”

Stating the obvious is one of my strong points. 8) :angel:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:26 am 
Regent's Circle

Presume he would enroll for the Spring semester and thus be available for Spring Practice. It behooves him to make his decision early.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:55 am 
Emerald Circle

Scott is unlikely to wait & throw away a priceless spring practice. Doing that in hopes of getting a sexy offer is the quickest way to becoming an afterthought.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:57 am 
Emerald Circle

clearly Scott knows Tulane wants him very much, but just as clearly he's not convinced that Tulane's Offense is one he wants to run or best fits him. My totally not in the know guess is that he ends up going somewhere else.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:49 am 
Coach Level

I didn't get to catch it so I have no idea what they talked about, but Scott was on After Further Review yesterday afternoon on 100.3 in New Orleans.

I believe the show is available if someone was really interested.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:55 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
clearly Scott knows Tulane wants him very much, but just as clearly he's not convinced that Tulane's Offense is one he wants to run or best fits him. My totally not in the know guess is that he ends up going somewhere else.
I still say it has less to do with concerns about Tulane's offense and more to do with waiting for the carousel to stop spinning so he can see if any bigger P5 offers arise. He said in at least one interview he wants to be somewhat close to home; if the P5 label didn't matter to him, he'd have already committed to Tulane.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

Rotorooter wrote:

most of those schools listed near the top are huge non-starters. Texas Tech and Washington State are air raid offense programs. Scott is not that sort of QB. Duke is not really a spread school though they do run their QB. Their issue is that they have a rising junior QB. SMU doesn't have a coach yet but their big issue is that their QB, Hicks, is a rising junior as well. Memphis alone makes real sense out of that group except for the fact that Norvell, for all the issues he's supposed to have, will go into 2018 as by far the top G5 coaching prospect. When I was thinking about destinations for Scott Memphis and USF made the most sense to me.

I think there's a chance that Scott's words don't mean all that much. He could have made his mind up already and is just playing the game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:36 pm 
Coach Level

Scott definitely saw the type of passing game we can have against SMU. 300+ yards and 40+ points (yes, I am counting the score). We are no longer just a running team. Can he come in and start from Day 1? I bet that is weighing on his mind more than anything. He left LSU because he was not playing and he certainly doesn’t want to be in that position again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:20 pm 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
I still say it has less to do with concerns about Tulane's offense and more to do with waiting for the carousel to stop spinning so he can see if any bigger P5 offers arise. He said in at least one interview he wants to be somewhat close to home; if the P5 label didn't matter to him, he'd have already committed to Tulane.

Unless he has concerns about the offense?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 pm 
Coach Level

Will he be a starter immediately? He doesn’t want to make that mistake again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next