Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:55 pm 
Coach Level

Poseidon wrote:
djh wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
A little surprising Riley Smith has no P5 offers based on his size and skill set. His stats don't light the world on fire but do seem pretty efficient.
sr wrote:
waverider wrote:
sr wrote:

According to ftw he's a top 40 prospect for c/o 2018.

Looks like his HS was State 7A runner-up in Florida.

As some-one pointed out on the Tula board, Smith shared playing time with an Auburn 4 star prospect. Upon furhter

inspection the Auburn recruit, ( https://auburn.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Commits?site_segment_1=college&site_segment_2=arkansas ) is actually Auburn highest rated recruit. The fact that he got to split time with such a big recruit says a lot IMO. If we get him and Scott then we should be set at QB for a while.

ok i'm confused,(not hard to do) but according to the recruiting sites Smith is a pro-style QB. So how does this equate to CWF's offense?

1) CWF plans on throwing it more.
1a) The kid runs well enough to be a run threat.

But can he run the read/option and know how and when to pitch the ball?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:44 pm 
Emerald Circle

djh wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
djh wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
A little surprising Riley Smith has no P5 offers based on his size and skill set. His stats don't light the world on fire but do seem pretty efficient.
sr wrote:
waverider wrote:
sr wrote:

According to ftw he's a top 40 prospect for c/o 2018.

Looks like his HS was State 7A runner-up in Florida.

As some-one pointed out on the Tula board, Smith shared playing time with an Auburn 4 star prospect. Upon furhter

inspection the Auburn recruit, ( https://auburn.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Commits?site_segment_1=college&site_segment_2=arkansas ) is actually Auburn highest rated recruit. The fact that he got to split time with such a big recruit says a lot IMO. If we get him and Scott then we should be set at QB for a while.

ok i'm confused,(not hard to do) but according to the recruiting sites Smith is a pro-style QB. So how does this equate to CWF's offense?

1) CWF plans on throwing it more.
1a) The kid runs well enough to be a run threat.

But can he run the read/option and know how and when to pitch the ball?
If he can just run read option and sling it around the field he won’t have to know when to pitch the ball. There are/were a few QBs in our conference (another Riley comes to mind) that are like him in that they are good passers and effective runners yet rarely ran triple option type stuff. Maybe this Riley knows how to do that too.

In regards to the shared time, that weighs pretty heavy to me too. The fact that he was too good to keep off the field with a higher rated guy in front of him says a lot.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:49 pm 
President's Circle

I like this kid a lot. His body type reminds me a little of Vince Young/Matt Jones. He's a big, lanky kid who is a long strider. He may not look like he's running all that fast (he is), but he's eating up a ton of ground with each step when he gets it going. At full speed, he's taking 2 steps per 5 yards, which allows him to eat up a ton of ground (most kids take 2.5 to 3 steps per 5 yards). His team runs quite a bit of read/option, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. His size will allow him to take some hits. He's not as quick as Banks is, but he's just as fast in the open field when he gets going. He's a more advanced passer than Banks was at this point (and more advanced as a passer than Daniels...but Daniels has some serious breakaway speed).

What I'm most concerned with is that we got in on his recruitment too late. He's already got visits set up for the remainder of recruiting. So, either we need to convince him to come to Tulane over one of his already scheduled visits, or we need his recruitment to stretch past signing day (ala Nick Kubiet) and have him visit later.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:46 pm 
Riptide Level

Did he not visit us already? I'll have to go back and see, but I think I remember his name on one of our visitor lists.

i.e. I think we've been recruiting him for a bit, but the McClain exit opened the door for a scholarship offer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:35 pm 
Emerald Circle

We offered another QB , John Rhys Pumlee but I'm not sure if he's a 2018 or 2019 recruit. He appears to be a pitcher too.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:50 pm 
Cornerstone

waverider wrote:
We offered another QB , John Rhys Pumlee but I'm not sure if he's a 2018 or 2019 recruit. He appears to be a pitcher too.

He's a '19 with offers from USM and MSU.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:49 pm 
Emerald Circle

FW wrote:
waverider wrote:

He's a '19 with offers from USM and MSU.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:09 am 
Breaker Level

Any word on who is visiting this weekend? Few spots open and we know there is a transfer QB on the fence. Any families visiting with any other key recruits? Anyone new?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:26 am 
Breaker Level

Any more word on Rutger’s decommit at LB? T. King?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:42 am 
President's Circle

There’s one visitor this weekend but it’s being kept very close to the vest. A transfer, not an incoming freshman. Travon King is supposed to be visiting Baylor either this weekend or next and might visit Temple as well. We’re probably his leader right now but it’s tough to get commitments from kids who visit a month or more before signing day. We were trying to get him to sign in December. We’re staying on him but I’d put our chances at signing him at less than 50/50.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:05 pm 
President's Circle

TU23, I think King was at Temple this weekend and Baylor next weekend. I think he is going to be a difficult sign - lets hope Preston Brown keeps working him.

The guys I want to know about are -

Griffin
Willis
Ragin
Smith
Merritt

What are our chances and will Ragin, Smith, and Merritt be taking official visits? Anyone else we don't know will be visiting?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:17 am 
Emerald Circle

this Staff has been better than any in recent history in getting us to a great place at the end of the recruiting season, but has trouble getting us over the goal line. Although they did have the best recruiting haul so far this year in recent history. They have a chance, if certain recruits break their way at the end, to make this year historic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:04 pm 
Navigator Level

GreenieBacker wrote:
this Staff has ... trouble getting us over the goal line.

Not sure what you mean by "the goal line" GB. No staff gets everyone they offer or want. Sure the class could be better, but I do not understand your criticism here. Please explain.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:32 pm 
Riptide Level

WR Kirk Merritt, a JUCO transfer who graduated in December and played with QB Lindsey Scott, has signed with Arkansas State. Both Scott and Merritt were offered by Tulane.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:18 pm 
Navigator Level

I have trouble believing we lost a guy to Arkansas State, unless he was intimidated by the academics. Really?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:25 pm 
Emerald Circle

Probably he wasn't that great a priority. Maybe it's an indication that Scott isn't coming, maybe they were never joined at the hip.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:29 pm 
Navigator Level

We return our top two WR's and JUCO's are looking for a starting spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:25 pm 
President's Circle

Wasn’t a priority. Wasn’t a sure thing to get admitted. He exposed himself to a female employee at aTm. That combined with 3 schools in 3 years gives you more questions than answers. Hope he does well but if we wanted him, he would’ve been at Tulane.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:58 pm 
Navigator Level

Merritt at A&M:

http://thebiglead.com/2017/04/07/texas- ... -exposure/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:20 pm 
Emerald Circle

Travon King committed to Temple. Good luck to him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:46 pm 
Navigator Level

TE Brayden Willis picked up an Oklahoma offer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

This may (likely) have nothing to do with us, but considering our QB discussion I wanted to mention that Stanford QB Keller Chryst tweeted that he is transferring as a graduate transfer. Per Dan Wolken, he thinks Tennessee may be a leading candidate to land him.

I don’t think his offensive style is the same (no idea if he is a running threat) but if we want to throw more he could be an option if he’s a better passer than the ones we have.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:34 pm 
Cornerstone

Scott to Mizzou.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:
This may (likely) have nothing to do with us, but considering our QB discussion I wanted to mention that Stanford QB Keller Chryst tweeted that he is transferring as a graduate transfer. Per Dan Wolken, he thinks Tennessee may be a leading candidate to land him.

I don’t think his offensive style is the same (no idea if he is a running threat) but if we want to throw more he could be an option if he’s a better passer than the ones we have.

That would be a disaster, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:57 pm 
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote:

His uncle (Paul Chryst) is HC at Wisconsin. Just sayin' .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next