Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:42 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19337
Location: Cincinnati, OH
GreenieBacker wrote:
Kansas had offered as well

So, G5. :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Yeah, I forgot about them... because I literally never thought of them as a threat...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19524
Location: New Orleans
I agree but they have a hot shot recruiter from N.O. That’s good

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:45 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:54 pm
Posts: 2537
If Scott signs with Oregon State, I’ll be shocked. I’ve heard the same thing as klazaroe, but there’s really no telling. One way or another, I know we’re all ready for this saga to come to a conclusion.

_________________
This one belongs to the Wave.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:53 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5153
Because of the strength of CA community college system, virtually all of PAC 12 and other FBS schools in west of Rockies recruit JUCOs heavily. I wouldn't be surprised if 20% of roster at some PAC 12 schools comes from that source. They have a ready mechanism to accept JUCO transfer credits. Class started last Monday. He can still enroll late with "department permission" which he will get and OSU offers stuff like a PE major so presumably they could find suitable classes for him to take. However almost certainly he would have to enroll there without ever having visited. (Does he have any historical relationship with any of its coaches?) There is no direct plane service from Louisiana to Portland, OR. From Zachary to OSU campus door-to-door, it's a minimum 10 to 12 hour trip. Yes they can stick him on a charter this week but after that it's commercial. Folks this is logistically a really hard deal. I could understand Harvard before this one but we'll see.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 am 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2077
sr wrote:
Another Pac12 comment - when OSU is coming on ESPN it's 9:30 - 10:00 PM in Texas, Louisiana and points East. Half the country is not paying attention.


Good point, and more importantly I forgot to mention great head coach and a very nice man, great staff, up and coming team, and great fans. We may not be many in number at the present time, but we are as loyal as they come and we love a tremendous institution - Tulane University.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:56 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5153
FWIW, classes start Tuesday at Tulane.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:00 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17540
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
TU23 wrote:
If Scott signs with Oregon State, I’ll be shocked. I’ve heard the same thing as klazaroe, but there’s really no telling. One way or another, I know we’re all ready for this saga to come to a conclusion.

I check this thread every so often but always defer to you guys who invest the time to follow the details. I have no dog in the hunt and am tired of seeing it so I can only imagine what you guys feel. This is a real kah-kah or get off the pot story.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 am 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2077
PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Man, recruiting is a tough racket. We recruit the kid non-stop for how many years and Oregon State recruits him for one week and they are the leader. Following this as a fan is tough, but I cannot imagine how tough these decisions are on the coaches.

As smart as Scott is I cannot comprehend how he would think Corvallis is a better alternative to Tulane. Education, New Orleans, family, friends, home, food, weather, and competition. Yes, competition. Throw out the P5 BS. We would likely be a home favorite against OSU. How much better is the PAC 12 than the AAC? I say it is very small given the final 2017 rankings. The schedule we play is not that much different than the schedule Scott would inherit at Tulane. I know I have green glasses on but the PAC 12 is the PAC 12. Most experts thought the AAC should have had a team in the playoffs. Not one of the so called experts (even the bias idiots at ESPN) thought any PAC 12 team belonged in the final four. I hope this kid can back away from all the noise and see the light.

All great points. But there were almost as many good points about why he should have picked Tulane over LSU in the first place and we know how that turned out.


Pete, I understand what you are saying, but Oregon State is no LSU. I can understand why he chose LSU - it was home and it WAS a football factory.

Our family went thru a similar thing with Jeremy. When he visited Texas and was sitting down with Augie, the winningest coach in college baseball history, it was impossible to say no (also, Texas is not a bad place to get an education). One difference is Jeremy actually played. In the end, it worked out. He spent three great years at Tulane and loves his university. He appreciated the time he spent at Texas, but the comparison between the two schools is Tulane in a landslide. His only regret is not playing for Coach Jones.

I just hope Scott doesn’t regret playing for Coach Fritz. Meeting and talking to him, he gets Tulane. Just like Coach Jones.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:32 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5153
tjtlja wrote:

I just hope Scott doesn’t regret playing for Coach Fritz. Meeting and talking to him, he gets Tulane. Just like Coach Jones.


Joys of multiple negatives: Do you mean "doesn't regret NOT playing for Coach Fritz" ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 13041
Baywave1 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

I just hope Scott doesn’t regret playing for Coach Fritz. Meeting and talking to him, he gets Tulane. Just like Coach Jones.


Joys of multiple negatives: Do you mean "doesn't regret NOT playing for Coach Fritz" ?


Heh. I'm hoping he doesn't regret playing for Coach Fritz too.

_________________
He was in


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:45 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3242
Location: Marietta, GA
tjtlja wrote:
As smart as Scott is I cannot comprehend how he would think Corvallis is a better alternative to Tulane. Education, New Orleans, family, friends, home, food, weather, and competition. Yes, competition. Throw out the P5 BS. We would likely be a home favorite against OSU. How much better is the PAC 12 than the AAC? I say it is very small given the final 2017 rankings. The schedule we play is not that much different than the schedule Scott would inherit at Tulane. I know I have green glasses on but the PAC 12 is the PAC 12. Most experts thought the AAC should have had a team in the playoffs. Not one of the so called experts (even the bias idiots at ESPN) thought any PAC 12 team belonged in the final four. I hope this kid can back away from all the noise and see the light.


This post is exactly correct. The only difference is that the PAC 12 has name cachet and tremendous fan bases i.e. $$$ for TV. USC, Washington, Stanford, etc. Also, the coaches in that league are pretty stout. But the AAC has the same quality of football, once you peel back the onion. And the AAC champion could compete with ANY P5 team in the country, as history has shown with UH under Hermann, UCF this season, Memphis under Fuentes. Next season it will be someone else. I hope Aresco keeps up the pressure. Meanwhile, we have to show up to games--that's our job.

There are so many good posts on this thread about LS's decision, that it is difficult to discount Tulane or Kansas or Mizzou at this point. But I have to believe that if Scott is as smart as everyone says, that after a lot of thought, Tulane would be his best alternative. But hell, who knows? Tulane is a rising, middle-of-the-pack, soon-to-be-great AAC team; Kansas has about as much chance as Tulane to win the Big12, and is a doormat; Mizzou as a school is a mess right now, their football program is only decent, but it IS the SEC; OSU is a doormat of a comparable league and has all of the travel and exposure issues. Bottom line, go where you are most comfortable. That is the line the CJ used, and it is apt here. Yeah, Banks is the returning starter, but he only started 10 games and the backups got significant playing time, in fact started against a team that was in the CFB playoff. We've got Ohio St. and probably UCF. Go create something, Lindsay. The AAC is not second rate as far as many are concerned.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:54 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6016
Location: Dripping Springs
Rotorooter wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
As smart as Scott is I cannot comprehend how he would think Corvallis is a better alternative to Tulane. Education, New Orleans, family, friends, home, food, weather, and competition. Yes, competition. Throw out the P5 BS. We would likely be a home favorite against OSU. How much better is the PAC 12 than the AAC? I say it is very small given the final 2017 rankings. The schedule we play is not that much different than the schedule Scott would inherit at Tulane. I know I have green glasses on but the PAC 12 is the PAC 12. Most experts thought the AAC should have had a team in the playoffs. Not one of the so called experts (even the bias idiots at ESPN) thought any PAC 12 team belonged in the final four. I hope this kid can back away from all the noise and see the light.


This post is exactly correct. The only difference is that the PAC 12 has name cachet and tremendous fan bases i.e. $$$ for TV. USC, Washington, Stanford, etc. Also, the coaches in that league are pretty stout. But the AAC has the same quality of football, once you peel back the onion. And the AAC champion could compete with ANY P5 team in the country, as history has shown with UH under Hermann, UCF this season, Memphis under Fuentes. Next season it will be someone else. I hope Aresco keeps up the pressure. Meanwhile, we have to show up to games--that's our job.

There are so many good posts on this thread about LS's decision, that it is difficult to discount Tulane or Kansas or Mizzou at this point. But I have to believe that if Scott is as smart as everyone says, that after a lot of thought, Tulane would be his best alternative. But hell, who knows? Tulane is a rising, middle-of-the-pack, soon-to-be-great AAC team; Kansas has about as much chance as Tulane to win the Big12, and is a doormat; Mizzou as a school is a mess right now, their football program is only decent, but it IS the SEC; OSU is a doormat of a comparable league and has all of the travel and exposure issues. Bottom line, go where you are most comfortable. That is the line the CJ used, and it is apt here. Yeah, Banks is the returning starter, but he only started 10 games and the backups got significant playing time, in fact started against a team that was in the CFB playoff. We've got Ohio St. and probably UCF. Go create something, Lindsay. The AAC is not second rate as far as many are concerned.

Well said Roto ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:20 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20190
Location: North Kenner
I was thinking his Mizzou interest was so he could one day face lsu. The way things are looking, if he comes to Tulane he could face lsu in the Birmingham Bowl as the sec’s 6th place team. :mrgreen:

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:21 am 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2077
Baywave1 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

I just hope Scott doesn’t regret playing for Coach Fritz. Meeting and talking to him, he gets Tulane. Just like Coach Jones.


Joys of multiple negatives: Do you mean "doesn't regret NOT playing for Coach Fritz" ?


Sorry about that, but you said it the way I should have (same for Coach Jones with Jeremy)!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:30 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3242
Location: Marietta, GA
waverider wrote:
I was thinking his Mizzou interest was so he could one day face lsu. The way things are looking, if he comes to Tulane he could face lsu in the Birmingham Bowl as the sec’s 6th place team. :mrgreen:


Want to get back at LSU? Be a star at Tulane...

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:20 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:42 am
Posts: 4606
Location: Lafayette, LA
I’m starting to feel a Lindsey Scott commitment to Tulane coming.Tulane is perfect fit for him and he hasn’t committed anywhere else so far. But like Sergeant Shultz would say, “ I know nothing.”

_________________
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:22 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24364
Location: New Orleans
Man in Green wrote:
I’m starting to feel a Lindsey Scott commitment to Tulane coming.Tulane is perfect fit for him and he hasn’t committed anywhere else so far. But like Sergeant Shultz would say, “ I know nothing.”


Damn, MiG, that is positively buoyant! Do be right.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:10 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:50 am
Posts: 5798
Location: West
If L.S. comes here, I think he can win the job and get us to compete immediately for a conference championship.

He's a special talent and would be a great face of the program.

_________________
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:33 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 3917
This whole situation reminds me of a guy that goes on a date with a woman and is really interested in her. She thinks she can do better and continually tries. Whenever she feels depressed she calls him knowing he will be there for her and if all else fails he will take her back.

We are the guy in the story.

I hope I’m wrong and if he does come he truly wants to be here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:59 pm 
Offline
Riptide Level
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:42 pm
Posts: 182
Location: Connecticut
That's one perspective. Another is to consider that Scott has made the most of opportunities when he's been a starter. I'm sure he didn't plan on going the JUCO route when he enrolled at LSU. He had a major role in the JUCO national championship last year.

Like many others, his longer term goal is to play on Sundays. His dedication to the game and winning is all the evidence I need to know he can make a difference at Tulane. We all already know Tulane can be an outstanding place to be top-flight quarterback and make it to the NFL. It really boils down to whether he sees the value of doing it at Tulane.

_________________
Tulane class of '79


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:11 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 18016
Location: Chicago
NJwave wrote:
This whole situation reminds me of a guy that goes on a date with a woman and is really interested in her. She thinks she can do better and continually tries. Whenever she feels depressed she calls him knowing he will be there for her and if all else fails he will take her back.

We are the guy in the story.

I hope I’m wrong and if he does come he truly wants to be here.



But the guy still gets laid!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:24 pm 
Offline
Head Trainer

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:49 am
Posts: 61
Location: Mandeville
He will be deciding tomorrow between us and Oregon state.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:54 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2077
klazaroe wrote:
He will be deciding tomorrow between us and Oregon state.


Earlier this morning you said he would be announcing his commitment to the Wave. What changed and where do we stand? Is he seriously considering OSU? That is so disappointing on so many fronts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:21 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2006
Location: Baton Rouge
tjtlja wrote:
klazaroe wrote:
He will be deciding tomorrow between us and Oregon state.


Earlier this morning you said he would be announcing his commitment to the Wave. What changed and where do we stand? Is he seriously considering OSU? That is so disappointing on so many fronts.


Pure conjecture, but LS wants to go pro. If OSU can sell him on their offense being a pro- style, pro ready offense that will make him more attractive to the nfl. That is what they offer. That said, the idea that they could come in so late is...history repeating itself.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:21 am 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2077
Starting to sound like FTW’s assessment is probably right.

Must find some QB’s. Pretty scary depth chart right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group