2019 Football Recruiting

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
TU23
President's Circle

Re: 2019 Football Recruiting

Post by TU23 »

windywave wrote:
TU23 wrote:
wavedom wrote:it's a shame people would talk this way about Dauphine. He was not out of shape. He hadn't played much football in a long time. The main reason the staff didn't play him was they perceived what they thought were weaknesses in his game. Many disagree with their assessment. Glad they have finally seen the light.
There's a big difference between being in shape and being in football shape. The coaches sat him out game 1 because he wasn't healthy enough to play. Game 2 he suffered serious cramping from a combination of excitement, heat and not playing football in a while. Nobody is saying he was fat and out of shape, but you said it yourself, he hadn't played much football since high school. It takes time to build up the stamina to play in full pads, run full speed, get hit, pick yourself up and do it over and over. He got more carries each week until the Cincy game. The SMU and Cincy games were completely on the coaches and indefensible.
Cramping from excitement :?:
According to Fritz, he got a little worked up before the game...warmed up a little too hard...was moving constantly on the sidelines, etc. The excited energy/constant movement caused him to expend a lot more energy.
This one belongs to the Wave.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

TU23 wrote:
wavedom wrote:it's a shame people would talk this way about Dauphine. He was not out of shape. He hadn't played much football in a long time. The main reason the staff didn't play him was they perceived what they thought were weaknesses in his game. Many disagree with their assessment. Glad they have finally seen the light.
There's a big difference between being in shape and being in football shape. The coaches sat him out game 1 because he wasn't healthy enough to play. Game 2 he suffered serious cramping from a combination of excitement, heat and not playing football in a while. Nobody is saying he was fat and out of shape, but you said it yourself, he hadn't played much football since high school. It takes time to build up the stamina to play in full pads, run full speed, get hit, pick yourself up and do it over and over. He got more carries each week until the Cincy game. The SMU and Cincy games were completely on the coaches and indefensible.
Actually they didn't give him more each and every week. He stayed in the 6-8 range until the Memphis game. We get the big win and back down he goes. They did a poor job with it and it was more based on his perceived weaknesses. Happy it's been rectified.
We deserve so much better
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

A couple of guys who plan to take official visits according to the recruiting sites: Ashanti Cistrunk, current Ole Miss OLB commit, is expected to visit on November 30th. He also has an offer from Vandy and Memphis. Roger Yarde, an athlete (RB/OLB) from Florida is expected to visit on December 1. He's got offers from Nebraska, South Florida, UCF, Temple, UMass and others.

Jalen McCleskey is also taking an official visit to Tulane this weekend.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Kinkead Dent, a 3 star QB from Jackson, MS that we have been on for a long time is committing at 12:30 today. Word is that he just got an offer from Ole Miss and that is where he's headed.

We offered Jakson Thomson, a 3 star QB from the Dallas area last night. He's 6'4 200 and runs well. Offers from Syracuse, La Tech, FAU, Akron, New Mexico State and several FCS schools. Similar build to Dent, similar skill sets. Dent has a bit better arm and I think Thomson is a bit faster.

I think we're making some headway with other players, including Jha'Quan Jackson from Hahnville. I wouldn't be shocked if he flipped from SMU to Tulane in the near future. He removed a bunch of references to SMU on his twitter profile recently and that is kid speak for something is going on. I also wouldn't be shocked if we offered Andrew Robison, the Hahnville QB who was just made eligible, if he continues to play well and show his skill set. Robison is one of those bubble kids, kind of like Chase Fourcade, who I could see developing into a pain in the a$$ QB who you just keeps finding a way to make plays. He's accurate and has good anticipation. Doesn't have great size, speed or arm strength, but I think he can get the job done.

Martin Butcher of Newman is another kid who could be offered depending on how things go. He's similar to Robison as well. May be a little better runner but by no means will be a big threat with the wheels.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

Good summation .….. thankyou !!
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

TU23, thanks. I wish our damn luck with these QB’s bolting to the SEC at the last second would change. Absolutely no way to predict it.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

We should focus on getting our next QB "on the rebound" from the SEC. They seem to gobble up all the talent, then guys leave because they are 3rd or 5th on the depth chart as Freshmen. We already got McMillan that way; Howard, too, although he is from non-SEC. WVU got Grier from UF. And on and on. So recruiting one is not as important as it used to be, given the fact that there are so many transfers and you can stay a year ahead of it.
Plan your work, work your plan.
klazaroe
Crest Level

Post by klazaroe »

I was able to see the QB from Newman this past weekend playing against my sons team. Extremely accurate thrower
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

We're going to end up taking a freshman this year no matter what, and I think we'll be active in the transfer market as well...but not the grad transfer market. We can afford to take someone on that has to sit out a year.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

As I thought in a post above, Jha'Quan Jackson de-committed from SMU today. I'd be surprised if he didn't commit to us soon.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Tonight’s performance didn’t help recruiting.

TU23, when we inked WF, I thought we would have the type of offense I witnessed tonight. A lot of speedy, shifty skill players running a true RPO. Why has it been so difficult to ink these type of players? I thought his talent evaluation and play calling in this area would be so much better than the vanilla fluff we actually run.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Ruse seems to have taken some of what he did at SHSU and some of what he did at GSU and tried to mesh them together. It doesn't work. The element that really made all of this work is the triple option element and that's pretty much gone. Also gone for the most part is the two back set. What happened to that? We run token ghost motion with the receivers but we almost never pitch the ball. When we do, it's resulted in big plays (UAB, Wake). The whole thing just angers me.

As for a recruiting update, we are expecting a visit from Cooper Dawson this week, a 3 star DE from South Carolina. He's got a final 5 of Vandy, Clemson, Tulane, Army and UCF. Big, explosive kid at 6'5 250. Has visited Army and UCF and has a Vanderbilt visit set up for 12/7. Clemson is full and likely won't take him unless something drastic changes. Looks like it could be down to Tulane and Vandy. UCF has 5 DE commits and even if they make 2 of them tackles, that's still a boat load of DEs. Vandy has one DE commit and one DE visitor from last week. They signed 4 last year and 3 the year before.
austxwave
Navigator Level

Post by austxwave »

TU23 wrote:As I thought in a post above, Jha'Quan Jackson de-committed from SMU today. I'd be surprised if he didn't commit to us soon.
as an athlete or a quarterback? He doesn't throw much and from the highlights I saw rarely more than 10 yards.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

getting Lance LeGendre would be HUGE for this Program.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

GreenieBacker wrote:getting Lance LeGendre would be HUGE for this Program.
Seems unrealistic, given that list?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

which is why it would be HUGE.

I just don't know if we have the recruiter that could land a kid like him.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

What are his actual options now? Georgia, Alabama, and FSU probably are not. If you take out LSU as well that list doesn’t look nearly as imposing.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

lg, have you emerged from your Splendid Isolation? If so, welcome back :-)

and doesn't Narcisse have some lingering injury issues?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

GreenieBacker wrote:lg, have you emerged from your Splendid Isolation? If so, welcome back :-)

and doesn't Narcisse have some lingering injury issues?
I don’t know if Narcisse did all that much for his JC this year. I don’t want him. Let someone else beat their head against that rock.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I agree, I think we have enough projects at the QB position without taking that particular headache on.
ThePig
Riptide Level

Post by ThePig »

Narcisse was not even a full time starter. He completed 44 of 98 passes for 506 yards with 3 TDs and 3 INTs. He rushed 41 times for 192 yards and scored 6 TDs. Not great numbers. The QB with whom he split time hit 70% of his passes, so Narcisse's completion percentage was not caused by dropped passes.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Why couldn't Narcisse be simply another Bradwell and blossom if he changed positions? I agree his JUCO performance was underwhelming but it didn't matter this year for Scott what he did last year either. (Did he even see the field for Missouri?)

edited by GB
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Lance Legendre at Tulane would be a dream come true.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

We have been down this road before. Coaches have basically said "you have to take player x to have access to players y and z." It has nothing to do with race. Coaches have been know to nearly speak on behalf of players. It has to do with coaches power and ego. Even LSU ran into this with the ida of a boycott. http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... cc50f.html
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy