Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:56 am 
Coach Level

West Memphis commitment Kendarrius Moore reopened his commitment as of yesterday. Don't know if its mutual or one sided by either him or Tulane.
@KendarruisMo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:06 am 
Cornerstone

I liked his tape a lot. I hope this is a mutual decision and we have someone better lined up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:22 am 
Coach Level

Billow wrote:
West Memphis commitment Kendarrius Moore reopened his commitment as of yesterday. Don't know if its mutual or one sided by either him or Tulane.
@KendarruisMo

I expected a couple but this is starting to get bad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:29 am 
Cornerstone

It’s not bad if we get as good or better players to replace them

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:36 am 
Coach Level

FW wrote:
It’s not bad if we get as good or better players to replace them

I agree, let's hope that happens. Most schools run into this problem this time of year. Just starting to make me nervous. But you are right.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:46 am 
Regent's Circle

It is hard but you don't have a player until he is signed. At least I think we agree that early signing period has overall really helped Tulane recruiting. We'll see if it's true this year come mid-December.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:42 am 
Cornerstone

djh wrote:
Billow wrote:
@KendarruisMo

I expected a couple but this is starting to get bad.

Moore committed early and was silent ever after. I'm not surprised. I'm a bit surprised that three linebackers have decommitted(Dyson, Levant, Moore). One of those has to be a guy we didn't want to lose.

I expect a DL to decommit (numbers) and possibly an OL as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:19 pm 
Emerald Circle

We have a bunch of good recruits and one of the highest, if not in many polls the highest, G5 recruiting ranking. A lot of those guys are gonna get hard P5 sales as they continue to impress during their senior years. To expect that we would keep them all, or even most of them, is presumptuous.

What I would really like to see is that the good buzz out of having a highly-ranked recruiting class, even if early, convinces a lot of kids that we are actually worth weighing against a P5 offer and that they shouldn't just reflexively say "G5, no thanks" and move on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:32 pm 
Cornerstone

Which of the four recent decommitments left because of P5 offers? I don’t know. If I had to guess I’d say only one (Walton) reaches the level of very possible.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:47 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
Which of the four recent decommitments left because of P5 offers? I don’t know. If I had to guess I’d say only one (Walton) reaches the level of very possible.

I didn't say any did, you just have to assume that some will. It's possible some of those who have already reopened their recruiting did for that reason (I don't know). It's what we're up against in the current college football landscape. In the past couple of years we have nicely plugged those holes with grad (and non-grad) transfers.

My underlying point is that I would rather see us round up a stellar group of commits and then have to work to fight off P5s, knowing there will be disappointments when some leave for the P5 "bright lights", than do what we did in the late Scelfo/Toledo/CJ days and recruit a bevy of guys with low-SBC and high-FCS offers who we'll almost certainly sign.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:12 pm 
Navigator Level

If a kid decommits and quickly commits to another school (flip) that would be concerning, but if they decommit and their recruitment is wide open that would lead me to believe that our staff stopped recruiting the kid and wasn’t “showing the love anymore”.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:21 am 
President's Circle

There have been some changes that might affect our recruiting numbers. First and foremost would be if Tyler Johnson redshirted this year and came back for his RS SR year. That would take a spot. We have been active in searching for transfers and grad transfers again. I don't expect us to sign more than 23 or 24. We were at 23. We now sit at 19. If we have 4 spots left, I think we spend them on a RB, a young WR, a LB and best player available. Candidates for best player available are probably currently committed to other schools. It will be interesting to see who we get to visit in the weeks leading up to signing day.

As for our decommits...

Levant- one other FBS offer (UAB). Others were Ivy League and FCS. No real position for us. Played DE in HS and isn't big enough to stick there. Was going to have to learn how to play stand up OLB.

Dyson- offer from ULL. Was slated to play LB or Nickel, but at 6'2 and 180 was probably looking at a couple of years before he got on the field.

Chaney- had a ton of good offers early. Not sure which of them are still good. He was slated to be a joker. We're about 6 or 7 deep at that position. I think that was part of the decision on both sides. Despite those good early offers, we've seen his recruiting rating go down. That's usually a sign of someone having a less than stellar senior year.

Moore- had offers from Oklahoma State, Vandy, ULM, ULL, Liberty and Arkansas State. He attended the Memphis game and was rooting for the Green Wave. Something changed after that...whether it was our performance on the field, us moving in another direction or additional interest from other schools. If I had to guess, this is the one we wanted to hold onto the most out of these 4.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:30 am 
Cornerstone

Like I said, I really liked Moore's film, but it is what it is.

By the way, unrelated to us, but I just saw that Memphis got a great transfer RB, Asa Martin. He was a 4 or 5-star who went to Auburn, played sparingly as a freshman, but didn't mesh with Gus and transferred to Miami. He was going to redshirt at Miami, but didn't like the depth chart, and so transferred to Memphis. Kid is very good. Memphis is going to be good for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:20 pm 
President's Circle

FW wrote:

By the way, unrelated to us, but I just saw that Memphis got a great transfer RB, Asa Martin. He was a 4 or 5-star who went to Auburn, played sparingly as a freshman, but didn't mesh with Gus and transferred to Miami. He was going to redshirt at Miami, but didn't like the depth chart, and so transferred to Memphis. Kid is very good. Memphis is going to be good for a long time.

Is he the one where Auburn screwed up his ability to redshirt?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:50 pm 
Cornerstone

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
FW wrote:

Is he the one where Auburn screwed up his ability to redshirt?

Yes

https://247sports.com/college/memphis/Article/Former-four-star-running-back-Asa-Martin-will-enroll-at-Memphis--134573636/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:22 pm 
President's Circle

TU23 wrote:
There have been some changes that might affect our recruiting numbers. First and foremost would be if Tyler Johnson redshirted this year and came back for his RS SR year. That would take a spot. We have been active in searching for transfers and grad transfers again. I don't expect us to sign more than 23 or 24. We were at 23. We now sit at 19. If we have 4 spots left, I think we spend them on a RB, a young WR, a LB and best player available. Candidates for best player available are probably currently committed to other schools. It will be interesting to see who we get to visit in the weeks leading up to signing day.

As for our decommits...

Levant- one other FBS offer (UAB). Others were Ivy League and FCS. No real position for us. Played DE in HS and isn't big enough to stick there. Was going to have to learn how to play stand up OLB.

Dyson- offer from ULL. Was slated to play LB or Nickel, but at 6'2 and 180 was probably looking at a couple of years before he got on the field.

Chaney- had a ton of good offers early. Not sure which of them are still good. He was slated to be a joker. We're about 6 or 7 deep at that position. I think that was part of the decision on both sides. Despite those good early offers, we've seen his recruiting rating go down. That's usually a sign of someone having a less than stellar senior year.

Moore- had offers from Oklahoma State, Vandy, ULM, ULL, Liberty and Arkansas State. He attended the Memphis game and was rooting for the Green Wave. Something changed after that...whether it was our performance on the field, us moving in another direction or additional interest from other schools. If I had to guess, this is the one we wanted to hold onto the most out of these 4.

TU23, if we go four more, would that include the transfer portal?

Regarding positions, are there any names we should keep an eye on at RB, WR, and LB? Keeping an eye on meaning the #1 guy on our board at each position. Also, any names in the portal we should closely monitor? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:31 pm 
Emerald Circle

FW wrote:

Will be interesting to see where he ends up when Norvell leaves for a P5 next month. :green wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:50 am 
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
TU23, if we go four more, would that include the transfer portal?

Regarding positions, are there any names we should keep an eye on at RB, WR, and LB? Keeping an eye on meaning the #1 guy on our board at each position. Also, any names in the portal we should closely monitor? Thanks!

Yes, four would include the transfer portal if we take the transfer before the start of Fall practice next year. However, I don't think we've seen the last of the mutual de-commitments. I can envision 2-3 more before signing day.

We've kicked the tires on nearly every transfer that enters the portal. I think we contact them and ask what their situation is and whether they'd be interested in Tulane. Transfers to keep an eye on....

Robert Porcher IV (father was great player for the Lions) DE from Va Tech
Taylor Powell LB from Northern Arizona (grad transfer 2 years left)
Isaiah Coulter WR from Rhode Island
Michael Young WR from Notre Dame
Jacob Martin S/Nickel from UPenn
Devin Bush, CB Arkansas
Justin Rogers QB TCU

*This list would change almost weekly because more and more players are entering the portal.

High School recruits to keep an eye on...some more realistic than others:

Greedy Vance, CB Karr
Donovan Kaufman DB Rummel
Will Sheppard WR Mandeville
Shi Keem Laister ATH Alabaster, AL
Kyren Lacy, WR Thibodaux
Jarmone Sutherland WR Newman
Adonis Friloux DT Hahnville
Nick Turner S Brother Martin
Jordon Williams DE Rummel
Ethan Pouncey DB Winter Park, FL
Herbert Gums, DL Texas (Julian Gums' brother...former De La Salle RB and current Nicholls St. RB)

*Any recruit currently committed to a school with a coach who was fired or will be fired or a coach who will probably leave for another job.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:29 pm 
President's Circle

I would presume if we take a RB it would be a transfer. Doesn’t seem like we aren’t on many high school at this position.

Is it even a real consideration with Huderson, Jones, Carroll, Spears, and Booker returning?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:41 pm 
President's Circle

Yes, I think you saw this year with Dauphine, Bradwell and Jones all getting hurt around the same time we all of the sudden got a little thin. We need to keep re-filling that stable...especially since you want to try to use Jones and Booker in a different way than the others. I think we should take at least one back this year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
It is hard but you don't have a player until he is signed. At least I think we agree that early signing period has overall really helped Tulane recruiting. We'll see if it's true this year come mid-December.

On the radio show this week Fritz complained that another change was coming and the early period may get pushed up to before the kids’ senior season starts so sometime in the summer/early fall.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:42 pm 
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

On the radio show this week Fritz complained that another change was coming and the early period may get pushed up to before the kids’ senior season starts so sometime in the summer/early fall.

That seems better to me as long as kids sign and don't decide to wait until late signing period. We seem to be good judges of talent and get early commitments, only to watch some have great senior years and awaken P5 interest. If they have to make the decision before they even play their senior year, that would seem to favor us. By waiting until later you are gambling that you'll improve your stock and not get hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:09 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

That seems better to me as long as kids sign and don't decide to wait until late signing period. We seem to be good judges of talent and get early commitments, only to watch some have great senior years and awaken P5 interest. If they have to make the decision before they even play their senior year, that would seem to favor us. By waiting until later you are gambling that you'll improve your stock and not get hurt.

He’s been vocal about not being a fan of the current version even though we have benefited from it. There’s a risk on both sides, but a good bit of the kids we lose late are ones that have great senior seasons and attract “better” offers as you said.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:46 am 
President's Circle

I believe priority 1 with players in the portal is QB. Need at least some competition for Howard, but there is concern about him with ball security and passing ability. I would look for us to compete for a QB in the portal.

Ibieta is well thought of, but just not ready yet physically.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:33 pm 
Coach Level

Howard is going to be the QB and he's going to be good. We do need an experienced back up. Pratt may be able to contribute next year but that's too much of a risk to take.