Maybe some Pooka?

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
austxwave
Navigator Level

Maybe some Pooka?

Post by austxwave »

Pooka Williams announced today he is leaving Kansas to come home to be close to his ailing mother.

waverider
Emerald Circle

Re: Maybe some Pooka?

Post by waverider »

He’d be a nice addition to our backfield but I would be surprised if he came here.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Presumably he'll declare for the draft.

TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Pooka is going to try to go pro. Academically, he's way behind, and he just dropped out of school. There's little chance he'd be eligible next year.
This one belongs to the Wave.

pearlriverwave
Navigator Level

Post by pearlriverwave »

this is why tulane has a hard time recruiting local

MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

Pearl, please explain. It appears that he dropped out of KU because he was going to be ineligible due to grades. Why Tulane pursue a player who would not be eligible?

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

MNAlum wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:36 pm
Pearl, please explain. It appears that he dropped out of KU because he was going to be ineligible due to grades. Why Tulane pursue a player who would not be eligible?
I think his implication is a generalization that local players have inferior academic skills and therefore cannot succeed at Tulane. Totally fair and unbiased.
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

gerryb323 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:47 pm
MNAlum wrote:
I think his implication is a generalization that local players have inferior academic skills and therefore cannot succeed at Tulane. Totally fair and unbiased.
Except it's not. it's just another perpetuation of the racist views of many here. There are a large number of local players who get football scholarships every year and go on to graduate from those schools. Pooka is the exception. He is extremely talented but he ended up at Kansas because everyone saw the pitfalls of signing him. He needed a school that was desperate to take the chance.
We still aren't there!

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Wow, really didn't think I needed the sarcasm font there
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

Just reinforcing your point.
We still aren't there!

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Not to mention, it's impossible to become academically ineligible during the season. Kansas' season would be over (insert joke here) before any grades issued.

austxwave
Navigator Level

Post by austxwave »

I thought he dropped out because his mom is ill?

pearlriverwave
Navigator Level

Post by pearlriverwave »

wavedom wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:20 pm
I didnt say he couldn't make it but why do you think Tulane has to have exceptions. Look at public schools and there test scores. Besides there isn't anything racist in my statement just facts. You want to point a finger at somebody try the school system.
Now maybe Tulane could have a special program to help student get up to par or take more time with some students to help make the grade.

waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

wavedom wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:40 pm
gerryb323 wrote:
MNAlum wrote:
Except it's not. it's just another perpetuation of the racist views of many here. There are a large number of local players who get football scholarships every year and go on to graduate from those schools. Pooka is the exception. He is extremely talented but he ended up at Kansas because everyone saw the pitfalls of signing him. He needed a school that was desperate to take the chance.
Sounds like Chris Scelfo who used to say he didn’t bother recruiting New Orleans kids because they can’t make it at Tulane.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

pearlriverwave wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:08 pm
wavedom wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:20 pm
I didnt say he couldn't make it but why do you think Tulane has to have exceptions. Look at public schools and there test scores. Besides there isn't anything racist in my statement just facts. You want to point a finger at somebody try the school system.
Now maybe Tulane could have a special program to help student get up to par or take more time with some students to help make the grade.
You need to catch up. We don't have exceptions anymore and haven't in a long time. We can accept athletes at NCAA minimums. We have JC's and transfers in all sports.
We still aren't there!

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

waverider wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:24 pm
wavedom wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:40 pm
gerryb323 wrote:
MNAlum wrote:
Sounds like Chris Scelfo who used to say he didn’t bother recruiting New Orleans kids because they can’t make it at Tulane.
Different day and time. Plus he was lazy and worthless and wanted everything served up on a silver platter. it's why he never got another college HC job. Even his alma mater didn't want him .
Last edited by wavedom on Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
We still aren't there!

Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

After the we love-our-coaches-forever-drive-by, back to Pooka. He is 21 or so and may have a family to support in addition to his ill mother. His career span as a smallish RB is probably limited and can end with one hit. As noted above, he must be going pro. It seems a sensible move. Fun player to watch in HS and at KU. Will be interesting to see how he does at next level.