HUGE! 3 Star OLB Keith Cooper Commits

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
purplehaz3
Riptide Level

HUGE! 3 Star OLB Keith Cooper Commits

Post by purplehaz3 »

3 Star OLB Keith Cooper out of Houston announced his commitment on Twitter. Holds offers from Ole Miss, Penn State, UCLA among others. One of the best commitments in the past few years. Has a lot of potential.

His announcement: https://twitter.com/KeithCo2021/status/ ... 8879613955

247 profile: https://247sports.com/player/keith-cooper-46094687/

Great job Fritz and staff.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: HUGE! 3 Star OLB Keith Cooper Commits

Post by long green »

He's got a great frame. He's probably more in the Sample mold than the Johnson mold. I bet the staff are thinking of him being well over 250 by his second year.

The question with him is why us? We're a good choice but he had 17 reported P5 offers. One of those, Penn St, I'd call a drop everything and commit offer. His rating is good but he's not our highest rated recruit by 247 numbers. Why so "low" with so many good offers (to say nothing of all the offers from AAC and MWC programs)?

He looks great and glad to have him.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

long green wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:10 pm He's got a great frame. He's probably more in the Sample mold than the Johnson mold. I bet the staff are thinking of him being well over 250 by his second year.

The question with him is why us? We're a good choice but he had 17 reported P5 offers. One of those, Penn St, I'd call a drop everything and commit offer. His rating is good but he's not our highest rated recruit by 247 numbers. Why so "low" with so many good offers (to say nothing of all the offers from AAC and MWC programs)?

There was an issue with the shower
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:13 pm
long green wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:10 pm He's got a great frame. He's probably more in the Sample mold than the Johnson mold. I bet the staff are thinking of him being well over 250 by his second year.

I'm no fan of PSU, I assure you, but these kids probably have no clue. long green's question stands but yes, sounds like a steal.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

This made me laugh out loud :lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

I was going to say weather, but UCLA and Ole Miss would satisfy that.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:27 pm

This made me laugh out loud :lol:
Glad somebody has a sense of humor
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

You asked the question and you know the answer. Many offers are made early and are not committable. The schools expect certain physical growth and they project what type of player he will become. When that doesn't happen the offers are withdrawn. It's not a mystery.
We still aren't there!
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Or perhaps the young man liked WF, liked Tulane, liked New Orleans, etc. Sometimes we actually win these battles. Give the staff some credit.

Wonder what this commitment does with Jalen Jones?
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

What may be happening too is all these schools are laser focused on the transfer portal. Maybe they figure if they don't fill out in the next several weeks, they can go back to the high schoolers and flip a Cooper from a school like Tulane. Who knows? There may be other issues too or the Fritz staff was alert to the opportunity and exploited it. In other words, Cooper may (and admittedly this is not certain) simply have fallen into Tulane's lap.

Regardless Cooper is playing football with a power basketball frame. If he fills out to 260 or more and performs like he projects (and he signs with Tulane in a few weeks), he could be the real talent find of this class in several seasons.

Separately if NCAA keeps open transfer rules, I think you will see even more signings in early December high school period. Future players like Cooper won't risk waiting and then being shunted aside for the transfer portal alternatives.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

One can chose to look at things negatively or positively on why we got Cooper. The Penn State offer came in November. The UCLA offer came in late October. Those are not early offers. Were they committable? No one will really know. At the minimum there was extreme high level interest from a number of top 25 P5 schools. I think it's safe to assume he had a number of committable P5 and top level G5 offers. 3 bowls in a row/program on the rise, top notch coach, a conference that is top 5 in the country with great visibility on ESPN and ABC, high academics and great city, I consider us a top level G5 program and am not surprised at all why a top recruit would pick us over Kansas State (his rumored other finalist). We've beaten Kansas State out before and will continue to beat out top level G5 and many P5 programs. I'm excited we got him and look forward to seeing him in olive and blue!
wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

It's honest and realistic. He chose us over UTSA. I answered a question that was asked. I also never said anything negative about the player. I like the commitment. I like him for the same reasons the staff does. I am hopeful that he will pan out to be a good player for us and those that drew back from him are left kicking themselves over it.

As to the other things mentioned above the honest take is we went to three very minor Bowls with nothing notable about them except to us long suffering fans who had to deal with being left out every year when 78 other teas out of 130 were going to Bowls. WF is not a top notch coach. He has to prove he is an average D-1 coach. The conference is a top 6 and clearly slipped this year. We have to hope that was a one year deal but next year will be interesting. Due to the pandemic we got on the bigger ESPN channels but didn't take advantage and unless we show great improvement we'll be mostly on ESPN+. Academically we have made it feasible to get a lot more players in than in the past. It is a great city that is the saving grace of Tulane. We are at best an average G5 team at this point in time.
We still aren't there!
Marathon Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

Hope we can sign him. Not long to wait to find out. He looks like a very good prospect.