Basketball Recruiting Info

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: Basketball Recruiting Info

Post by Johnny Mac »

I took care of your duplicate post, doc...

what are the chances of a high school recruit committing between now and the beginning of school?
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Here is a bit of a story on Holloway's time at Catholic HS; and his move to Port Allen HS for his senior year.
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 2c569.html
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Missouri F Sean Durugordon who Tulane showed interest in is transferring to Austin Peay.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

doc wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:33 am Tulane has a commitment from 6-6 220# SF Collin Holloway, a RS FR currently at Georgetown. He is originally from Baton Rouge, LA. He had good shooting percentages last season and played 25 mpg last season and averaged 9 ppg. He is left handed and reasonably athletic. From the films I have watched from high school so far, he looked like a slasher. Tulane’s roster keeps improving.
Doc, this looks like a terrific get. How was he ranked within LA last year?

It looks like we are done. Hoping they would add an experienced post player too. If you have one scholly left, why not use it. Nevertheless, a really solid class and each player should contribute from day 1.

How do you see Coleman’s role with the additions? And do you see Cook coming back?
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Holloway was at Georgetown for two seasons. He is a RS Freshman. He played very limited minutes as a true Freshman. He was not highly recruited coming out of high school.

The next two Tulane recruiting issues are: 1. Is Jalen Cook returning? (I hope so, I think so) and 2. Will Seton Hall PG transfer Jahari Long announce that he is coming to Tulane in his announcement tomorrow? (I don’t think he will choose Tulane)

Recruiting is a year round process. There are still a few hundred D1 transfers who have not announced their school choice yet. There are still kids entering the transfer portal, and the NCAA is still being generous with immediate eligibility waivers.

It is hard to predict how these new players will fit in, but I am very optimistic. Getting Percy Daniels was a real surprise to me.Williams and Holloway have been productive at programs in power conferences. I think HC Hunter and staff deserve a lot of credit.

Let’s fill Fogleman from Day 1 next season.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Jahari Long will announce his school choice at 2:15 pm CT today. Correction? There is another post that he will be announcing at 3:15 CT. Either way we’ll know in a couple of hours.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

J. Long just picked Maryland
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

As expected, Jahari Long followed his Head Coach Kevin Willard, who recently went to Maryland from Seton Hall. Long will have a lot of competition in the backcourt at Maryland, as they signed two other PG’s. I would not be surprised to see his name in the transfer portal again at some point in the future.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

After getting Holloway, did we really want Long? His play to date is underwhelming. If we take another, wouldn’t it be a 6’9 and above player with some length.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

I'm not advocating for Long. We need to get another quality PG even if Cook comes back. He has injury issues and misses time and he could be gone after next season.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:25 pmIf we take another, wouldn’t it be a 6’9 and above player with some length.
Quality players like that abound!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I kid, but seriously, Hunter basically posted on social media that he was done recruiting for the year. He "has his team" that he's happy with. I don't see a worthwhile big man falling into our lap with us having made no effort.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

6'9" 235 lb Percy Daniels needs to make a big impact as a freshman.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:50 pm
tjtlja wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:25 pmIf we take another, wouldn’t it be a 6’9 and above player with some length.
Quality players like that abound!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I kid, but seriously, Hunter basically posted on social media that he was done recruiting for the year. He "has his team" that he's happy with. I don't see a worthwhile big man falling into our lap with us having made no effort.
Pete, just some wishful thinking on my part. Maybe we get some luck for a change and a big man actually falls in our lap (lol). Hope is eternal (you learn that at a very young age as a Tulane lifer).
Last edited by tjtlja on Sun May 22, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

The NCAA is currently in a 9 day dead period where there are no official visits. This will end on Saturday, May 28, 2022. The NBA draft deadline for returning to school is June 1st.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

doc wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:09 am The NCAA is currently in a 9 day dead period where there are no official visits. This will end on Saturday, May 28, 2022. The NBA draft deadline for returning to school is June 1st.
I thought it was June 14
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

After the 2021 season there were about 1720 D1 transfers. This season there are already 1700, with several more announcing everyday. As of today, there are well over 800 that have not yet committed. Once the NBA return to school date passes, some big name schools will have holes in their rosters that they will scramble to fill. I expect a flurry of transfer activity shortly.

The #3 SR from Louisiana this year is Kyran Ratliff. He is a 6-8 200# PF. He prepped at Booker T Washington in Orleans, but then reportedly went to Arizona for his SR year in high school. Tulane offered him, along with schools like Arkansas, Georgetown, Houston, Southern California, and UNO. He has still not committed, and one recruiting site has him reclassified to the class of 2023. That might explain the lack of recent activity.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Fred Payne, 2023 PG, from Grambling, LA., who Tulane had interest in has committed to Boston College. His final 5 were Boston College, Houston, North Texas, Saint Louis, and Tulane.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

4* Top 100 2023 6-8 PF Cade Phillips from Gadsden, Alabama, who Tulane had offered, has committed to Tennessee.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I have still not seen an announcement about Jalen Cook and the NBA draft. Expect some news shortly……

Talented Memphis Freshman F Josh Minott has announced he will stay in the NBA draft. He has impressed many teams in workouts and is currently projected as a certain 1st round selection, possibly even a borderline lottery pick. I have previously posted my opinion that he was misused by HC Penny Hardaway, who played him limited minutes this past season. Memphis Freshman post Jalen Duren is also projected as a possible lottery selection.
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

Cook will be back at TU next year.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I am very optimistic. I am looking forward to seeing the new recruits on the court to see how they fit in. Until then, I am guessing along with everyone else on this forum. I am hopeful a healthy Tulane team will make it into the Big Dance next season. Top 3 in the conference is a reasonable goal. I think top two along with Houston is doable, but again Houston still has players in the portal. They had an outstanding recruiting/transfer class. Memphis’ final recruiting class is still in process. So we’ll see…..

It is now time for me to move on to the 2023 class. I plan to do research on hundreds of players as I do every season. Special attention will be given to Louisiana prospects. If anyone has suggestions/criticism for me, please message me privately.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Right now the Top 2 2023 prospects in Louisiana are going to school less than one mile from the Tulane campus.

Chris Lockett Jr is a 6-5 200# PG at Isidore Newman HS. He is ranked in the top 60 players in the country, quite possibly higher. Tulane has offered and as Randymc has posted, there is mutual interest. Kansas, LSU, Baylor, Arkansas, and others have offered. He is a talented, intelligent player who does a lot of things well. It is important that Tulane get off to a fast start this season. A packed Fogleman and an early buzz around the program can only help. I urge Tulane fans to watch Chris Lockett play this season.

Corey Chest Jr is a 6-8 195# F at Eleanor McMain HS. He is getting a lot of recent interest. Tulane has offered. Currently Houston, LSU, and Xavier appear in the lead. Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and Vanderbilt are also involved. He plans on making a decision this fall.

Chris Lockett Jr and Corey Chest,Jr, play on the same AAU team.
Last edited by doc on Mon May 30, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Might want to go and just create a new thread titled 2023 basketball recruiting. Thanks for the information.
We deserve so much better
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

doc wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:30 pm Right now the Top 2 2023 prospects in Louisiana are going to school less than one mile from the Tulane campus.

Chris Lockett Jr is a 6-5 185# PG at Isidore Newman HS. He is ranked in the top 60 players in the country, quite possibly higher. Tulane has offered and as Randymc has posted, there is mutual interest. Kansas, LSU, Baylor, Arkansas, and others have offered. He is a talented, intelligent player who does a lot of things well. It is important that Tulane get off to a fast start this season. A packed Fogleman and an early buzz around the program can only help. I urge Tulane fans to watch Chris Lockett play this season.

Corey Chest Jr is a 6-8 195# F at Eleanor McMain HS. He is getting a lot of recent interest. Tulane has offered. Currently Houston, LSU, and Xavier appear in the lead. Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and Vanderbilt are also involved. He plans on making a decision this fall.

Chris Lockett and Corey Chest,Jr, play on the same AAU team.
:?
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

PG Mylik Wilson (I posted on him this spring) who transferred from Texas Tech has committed to Houston. He is from Rayville, LA. He has two years of eligibility remaining.