Wayne Picou (1950-2008)

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

greendave wrote:
Donny Z wrote:Doc, I think your "son of cyclops" story from an earlier thread a few weeks ago is hilarious...i can hear Wayne yelling that now...I just had a good laugh with Gary on the phone about that one
That was my story, thank you :)

greendave
Riptide Level

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:53 pm Post subject: My first recollections of Wayne

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first recollections of Wayne were also very memorable.
He use to heckle the one-eyed ump (who's name escapes me) by yelling CYCLOPS. I would lmao.

He topped that - the one-eyed ump's son played left field for Nicholls State. When he misplayed a routine fly ball, old Wayne yells "SON OF CYCLOPS"! That was classic Wayne.

Get well big guy. We need you at the Turch when the tiggers come to town.
Sorry about that. Well Greendave, I loved your story
stanmvp48
Sophomore

And another

Post by stanmvp48 »

Who was the fat coach for one of the in state schools. "Frog" some body. His culinary habits were the subject of much discussion at the ball park.
occasionally
Navigator Level

Re: And another

Post by occasionally »

stanmvp48 wrote:Who was the fat coach for one of the in state schools. "Frog" some body. His culinary habits were the subject of much discussion at the ball park.
Lou St. Amant at then-Northeast Louisiana. He hated Wayne.

Back in the old, old, old version of the ballpark (pre-1985, when the infield was where Wilson is now), Wayne used to run the "Home Run Derby" pool -- looked like a football pool, except it was 9x9, and you had the spot in the batting order going down one side and the inning on the other side. The first home run by a Tulane player paid off the pool. If not, he carried it over to the next game.

UNO came across town and they had a third baseman whose name I forget, but he had almost as many errors as UNO had played games. Wayne changed the pool that day from "Home Run Derby" to the "E-5" pool. Every time the guy came to the plate, Wayne would start yelling, "E-5!"

Absolutely one of the most passionate fans Tulane has ever had. Godspeed.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Dave, this was mentioned earlier

Post by AO Sig »

but I thought it worth repeating:

Does anyone have a photo of Wayne? I think it would be nice to find a picture, possibly with other folks on the forum.

I pray he puts in a good word for us with the Man upstairs. Pax.

Post by Guest »

What was Wayne's yogwf name?
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

as far as I know, he never registered, maybe he did.

Wayne is being honored, as he was the founding member of the YOGWF predecessor. If not for him, we would not be here today (or we would be in another format).

We all supported Wayne at scout.com, via $$$$ (both admins and many mods were paying members) and via communication support. If not for Wayne, Coach Mac, OliverNBlue, among others, Tulane might not be playing Division 1 athletics right now.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

RIP - Wayne.

For this out of state Greenie, you brought Tulane athletics so much closer at a time when there was nobody else in the neighborhood.

maddog
President's Circle

Post by maddog »

Had the pleasure of numerous passionate, in depth discussions with Wayne over the years. They broke the mold after they made Wayne Picou. I can still visualize him sitting in a near empty Fogelman end zone long before game time chowing down on nachos and waiting for things to heat up. God speed.
Evergreenie
Navigator Level

Post by Evergreenie »

dammit

i sure wish he could've seen the next stadium

But, you know what, he's the reason at the grass roots level that it ever had a chance of coming into being.
"Tulane, because of ...Hurricane Katrina as well as its difficult academic entrance requirements and challenging majors, doesn't attract the typical five-star recruit and have none of those on its commitment list." Times-Picayune on Signing Day

Re: And another

Post by Guest »

occasionally wrote:
stanmvp48 wrote:UNO came across town and they had a third baseman whose name I forget, but he had almost as many errors as UNO had played games. Wayne changed the pool that day from "Home Run Derby" to the "E-5" pool. Every time the guy came to the plate, Wayne would start yelling, "E-5!"

Absolutely one of the most passionate fans Tulane has ever had. Godspeed.
He had us all yelling "E5" with our faces pressed against the old backstop!
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Post by Wave Revival »

I am very sorry to hear this sad news. The Tulane nation needs alot more Waynes.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

When John McCutcheon and Wayne Pıcou are ın theır chaır back seats ın heaven watchıng another Tulane sportıng event, I wonder who tells the best storıes?
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

TUPF wrote:When John McCutcheon and Wayne Pıcou are ın theır chaır back seats ın heaven watchıng another Tulane sportıng event, I wonder who tells the best storıes?
They'd probably just talk at the same time and drown each other out. Actually, John would probably just let Wayne do the talking and sit back and smile.

Man I miss both of them.

Post by Guest »

I'd chuckle at Johns but LMAO at Waynes.
tufinal4
Navigator Level

Post by tufinal4 »

I am just now seeing this. I regret not making it over to the hospital to see him near the end; I am so sorry, Wayne, that I did not make it to visit you. So many posters have summarized above how much Wayne has meant to Tulane athletics.

Above all, I'll never forget working with him and so many others during the review, numerous, numerous phone calls on strategy, next steps and followup. Everything was on the line, and it was an incredible feeling to win at the end against some long odds.

The last time he and I had a lengthy discussion was after he'd been stricken and needed assistance walking, after a game at the Dome this past season. We talked about a new stadium, where to build it, how big, combining it with a new basketball facility in an overall athletics capital campaign. As usual, it was a spirited conversation of substance. I'll miss him.

Post by Guest »

I am really having a hard time believing this. I didn't really know Wayne well, he would call me occaissionally but I certainly did not have the talks that many of you did. Now I really have a hard time picturing Tulane athletics without him. He will leave a giant void that will not be completely filled. I agree that in the past few years he did become more optimistic about the overall future of Tulane athletics and it really helped me become more optimistic as well.

God reclaimed a good one that's for sure.
tidalwave
President's Circle

Post by tidalwave »

I am very saddened at the passing of Wayne. He left his mark not only on all of us in the Tulane family, but also everyone else too.

We are much inhanced by his passing through our lives. R.I.P..
Hullabaloo is my middle name

TULANE WILL SUCCEED...VICTORY IS OURS
wave'm in
Navigator Level

I've seen Wayne at football baseball and basketball games

Post by wave'm in »

for thirty years We never knew each other personally but i know whole families that have been going to the games for years and don't know each others names. thats kind of sad, but if you ever went to a Tulane basketball game you would definately know who Wayne was if you saw his picture. see you lator Wayne.,

Wayne's funeral

Post by guest »

Wayne's funeral service will be at Lakelawn on Thursday. More details to follow.
charmaine_brandon

Wayne's services

Post by charmaine_brandon »

will be Thursday, Mar 16, 6PM to 8PM, at Lake Lawn Funeral Home in Metairie. An electronic guestbook can be signed at www.lakelawnmetairie.com

Godspeed, dear friend.
charmaine_brandon

Wayne's services CORRECTION

Post by charmaine_brandon »

Thursday, Mar 13, NOT Mar 16
the doc

Another Wayne Tale

Post by the doc »

As I posted before, we sat under the basket at men's hoops games and heckled everyone; the ref's, the opposing players, sometimes even Roy Danforth. We knew alot of the refs by name and Wayne hated them all, Paul Galvan, Charlie McCarthy, and one he called Brillo Head. There was this one ref who did alot of Tulane games named Reggie Copeland and he took his fair share of abuse. At timeouts, however, rather than walk away, he would stand on the baseline his back to us clearly in the path of the verbal onslaughts. One night we were playing a really bad team (Tulane was up about 15 or 20 pts in the second half) and the opponent had this forward who travelled every time he made an offensive move with the ball. Stanley and Wayne were besides themselves. Wayne was livid, his neck turning beet red. Finally at a timeout the ref, Reggie Copeland turns around and walks toward us and says "Guys, if I didn't let him walk, he wouldn't get to play" We all roared and Reggie Copeland became our favorite ref from then on.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Wayne Anthony Picou (January 06, 1950 - March 09, 2008)

Post by noladave »

PICOU Wayne Anthony Picou on Sunday, March 9, 2008 at 3:35 PM, age 58. Beloved son of the late Antoinette Picou and Elidas Picou. Brother of Bruce A. Bernard and uncle of Leslie Jallans, Lisa Palermo and Laurie Spellman. Relatives and friends are invited to attend the visitation at LAKE LAWN METAIRIE FUNERAL HOME, 5100 Pontchartrain Blvd. (in Metairie Cemetery) on Thursday, March 13, 2008 from 6:00 PM until 8:00 PM. In lieu of flowers donations preferred to the Tulane University Wayne Picou Memorial Fund @taf. To view and sign the guest book, please go to www.lakelawnmetairie.com.
Published in The Times-Picayune on 3/11/2008.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

PICOU Wayne Anthony Picou on Sunday, March 9, 2008 at 3:35 PM, age 58. Beloved son of the late Antoinette Picou and Elidas Picou. Brother of Bruce A. Bernard and uncle of Leslie Jallans, Lisa Palermo and Laurie Spellman. Relatives and friends are invited to attend the visitation at LAKE LAWN METAIRIE FUNERAL HOME, 5100 Pontchartrain Blvd. (in Metairie Cemetery) on Thursday, March 13, 2008 from 6:00 PM until 8:00 PM. In lieu of flowers donations preferred to the Tulane University Wayne Picou Memorial Fund @taf. To view and sign the guest book, please go to www.lakelawnmetairie.com.
Published in The Times-Picayune on 3/11/2008.
stanmvp48
Sophomore

The above

Post by stanmvp48 »

I think it was a pre season game with an AAU team or athletes in action. But did Picou ever get tossed out?