Can Tulane hold off Pac-12 for QB Abraham?

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Can Tulane hold off Pac-12 for QB Abraham?

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

TU Commit

For those following the recruitment of Oxford, Mississippi's Jack Abraham, the question still remains: How is Tulane managing to keep the 3-star quarterback committed?

With schools like UCLA and Cal looking to steal away a pro-style quarterback commit, Abraham on Sunday said he is still happy with Tulane and what it has to offer. The 6'0", 195-pound quarterback said Tulane offers a great academic plan and the possibility for early playing time once he arrives on campus.

from Bleacher Report

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2582 ... rows-9-tds

Oh, and Alabama is also a possible suitor.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Can Tulane hold off Pac-12 for QB Abraham?

Unread post by gerryb323 »

GreenieBacker wrote: the possibility for early playing time once he arrives on campus.
This should be played up for every recruit.

Also, he won't get to 4 stars if he stays with us. If he flips to a P5 school, instant upgrade.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

the kid looks legit, I just wonder how long we can keep him healthy with the OL and scheme we run. Oh, and it looks like he grew 2 inches since last we saw him :lol:
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

he's under six feet tall. I have no problem with that.

He's got his eyes open. The new AD can't take his time whenever he comes on board. The decisions that have to be made have to be announced almost with the echo of the last whistle of the season. If the big change is made Jack Abraham isn't coming here; he might not come here if we can the Prices. I have no problem with that.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Look I'm all for Abraham coming here but he needs a year to grow and learn. Those of you who saw the early season game his team played against Starkville saw he had difficulty playing against larger and faster players than he usually opposes. Now he could have had an off-night and/or his teammates and coaching underachieved or a combination of all three. He looked horrible against higher level competition in the only game admittedly I have seen him play.

My concern is that Lee is injury prone and for whatever reasons we have no/questionable depth at QB this year.

If Abraham gets thrown into the mix next year, it may be like King's freshman year. It won't matter who is coach.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Lee isn't injury prone, he simply joins a long list of TU QB's who have been knocked out of games: Griffin, Montana, Powell.....
TXWave88
Navigator Level

Unread post by TXWave88 »

GreenieBacker wrote:Lee isn't injury prone, he simply joins a long list of TU QB's who have been knocked out of games: Griffin, Montana, Powell.....
The QB position is injury proned on our offense. I guess I did not realize that we have not had a starting QB start all games due to injuries since CJ has been here.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

TXWave88 wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:Lee isn't injury prone, he simply joins a long list of TU QB's who have been knocked out of games: Griffin, Montana, Powell.....
The QB position is injury proned on our offense. I guess I did not realize that we have not had a starting QB start all games due to injuries since CJ has been here.
Agreed. Thanks for fine-tuning the observation. Even more reason for signing someone in addition to Abraham.
long green
Cornerstone

we might not be able to stop at two. We'll see.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

Abraham tweeted that he's still planning on enrolling here. Get a good hire and he'll be happy to do it. Good to hear even if not official.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

Baywave1 wrote:
TXWave88 wrote:
Agreed. Thanks for fine-tuning the observation. Even more reason for signing someone in addition to Abraham.
Yeah, our O-line has been QB-injury prone.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Oxford is still alive in Mississippi playoffs. Abraham could have several more games in December if Oxford keeps winning. So he is getting a massive amount of extra practice this fall.

At some point someone posted that he intended to enroll in January. Spring semester starts at Tulane on January 11th.

Maybe he is like Slater in basketball. He likes Tulane and is coming regardless of the coach.

Or more likely he views Tulane QB opportunity as one big oyster and maybe he comes here plays in the spring for a new coach and has an opportunity to play immediately that he wouldn't have anywhere else?
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Baywave1 wrote:Oxford is still alive in Mississippi playoffs. Abraham could have several more games in December if Oxford keeps winning. So he is getting a massive amount of extra practice this fall.

At some point someone posted that he intended to enroll in January. Spring semester starts at Tulane on January 11th.

Maybe he is like Slater in basketball. He likes Tulane and is coming regardless of the coach.

Or more likely he views Tulane QB opportunity as one big oyster and maybe he comes here plays in the spring for a new coach and has an opportunity to play immediately that he wouldn't have anywhere else?
I wonder if the head coach hire would sway his commitment if the new coach wants to install a completely different offense that no longer fits his skills. Does anyone know if he is a runner?
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

waverider wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:Oxford is still alive in Mississippi playoffs. Abraham could have several more games in December if Oxford keeps winning. So he is getting a massive amount of extra practice this fall.

I wonder if the head coach hire would sway his commitment if the new coach wants to install a completely different offense that no longer fits his skills. Does anyone know if he is a runner?
The only offense that doesn't fit his skills would be if we ran some sort of prime running attack. I don't our Board goes that way with a new coach.
He seems to want to stay local and wants to go to Med School. We're the place for that.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

GSx wrote:He seems to want to stay local and wants to go to Med School. We're the place for that.
Paging Dr. Hontas, Dr. Roch Hontas.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
long green
Cornerstone

Best coach you can get > any recruit. If it works out and he stays, great.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

GSx wrote:The only offense that doesn't fit his skills would be if we ran some sort of prime running attack. I don't our Board goes that way with a new coach.
I can't imagine our board is hiring the new coach, that will fall on the new AD. And I can't imagine our new AD will be solely chosen based on the offensive style preferred by the coaches that the AD candidates intend to pursue. Who's to say Tulane won't be running the triple option next year?

That said, we have said repeatedly that a good coach is one who doesn't force his system down the throats of the players and try to win with square pegs in round holes, but one who adapts his system to the players he has in order to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. And since we don't seem to have a running QB (GC, if only we knew ye), I hope we don't bring in a coach who is dead-set on running the option right away.
long green
Cornerstone

That's sound. We have to hire a winner. If the search goes in such a way that it's Willie Fritz vs. a far less proven option who will run an offense congenial to Lee or Abraham I think we'd have to give Willie Fritz the edge.

It's all part of the process. I'd give Willie Fritz (or a Willie Fritz) a chance to tell me how he would build his depth chart at quarterback. He'd need to bring in at least one mature candidate to go with a couple of HS signees.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

I would be very surprised if our new HC comes here wanting to run a Pro-Style Saint's Offense. Given the surrounding cast we have around the QB and the fact that the majority of College coaches aren't going that way.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:I would be very surprised if our new HC comes here wanting to run a Pro-Style Saint's Offense. Given the surrounding cast we have around the QB and the fact that the majority of College coaches aren't going that way.
Even if we decide to fight the last war again, I'm not sure we could win it......
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

GreenieBacker wrote:I would be very surprised if our new HC comes here wanting to run a Pro-Style Saint's Offense. Given the surrounding cast we have around the QB and the fact that the majority of College coaches aren't going that way.
From your keyboard to our new ADs ears.
Fool me once (Scelfo), shame on you. Fool me twice (Toledo), shame on me. Fool me a third time (CJ)... I must be a friggin idiot. I don't even want to think about a fourth time.
TXWave88
Navigator Level

Unread post by TXWave88 »

PeteRasche wrote:
From your keyboard to our new ADs ears.
Fool me once (Scelfo), shame on you. Fool me twice (Toledo), shame on me. Fool me a third time (CJ)... I must be a friggin idiot. I don't even want to think about a fourth time.
We did not run a pro style offense with Scelfo at first. We ran a complete spread, no huddle and what do you know, we were always in the top half in scoring offense. It was not until Katrina year that we started our 11 year run of the bottom quarter in offense. Our highest ranking since 2004 is 80 and that was in 2010. So since 98, our worst offenses were in styles that do not match us and do not match college football anymore. Shocker.

When we get a spread offensive coach, players like Abraham will love the change. IMHO, you have to be able to run less in a spread offense since it is a quick snap and throw. It is not drop back5-7 steps and wait for plays to develop while your line ole's a bunch of blocks. Mobility in the QB just makes the offense that much better.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Can Tulane hold off Pac-12 for QB Abraham? GREAT UPDATE

Oxford and Abraham play Saturday for Miss. 5A championship. Meanwhile Starkville plays for 6A championship on Friday.

If you recall these two teams played at beginning of season on an ESPN network. Starkville owned Abraham that game so I was hoping for a rematch but under Miss playoff brackets was not meant to happen. Abraham has had a great season since Starkville game.

He has been named Mississippi Gatorade Player of Year today. He has incredible stats and deserved win and is still a Tulane commit. Best one is he averaged over 10 yards per pass attempt. This is the gold standard of evaluating qbs and rarely occurs at any level.

http://www.gatorade.com/poy/profile.aspx?id=16097

Obviously job one of whoever we hire as HC is to keep Abraham on board. Probably all he will have to do is show Abraham 2015 Tulane game tape but whatever works.

Meanwhile separate note is Lindsay Scott was named for Louisiana. I know some here in passing have mentioned having new coach make a run at him as well. I'm sure it's a longshot but why not????
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Find us a good head coach and a good OC and keep Abraham on board, and I'd like what we'd have cooking.

Has Tulane ever had a QB that was his home state's player of the year?
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

PeteRasche wrote:Find us a good head coach and a good OC and keep Abraham on board, and I'd like what we'd have cooking.

Has Tulane ever had a QB that was his home state's player of the year?
was Losman? I seem to recall he was a blue chip when he went to UCLA?

I had class with him, must have been a shock to go from UCLA to Tulane where nobody knew who he was

edit: wikopedia says he was #3 qb in his class in the nation