It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:18 pm 
Emerald Circle

Whoops, wrong thread. Who cares?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:22 pm 
Emerald Circle

Sophandros wrote:
It happened when they rebranded. They had to ask our permission to do so and we granted it. For years they were part of the University of Louisiana system, but that system had no flagship, due to the LSU contingency in the state legislature. Finally, they were allowed to be named the flagship school of the system, but that required our approval. We granted it.

If anything, we should be happy as this sticks it to LSU.

ULL is not the flagship of the La System. ULL, La Tech and UNO are co-equals.
I don't care about U of La usurping the title from the standpoint of Tulane. WE don't use it.
I care about it from my standpoint of a La resident and citizen. "U of La" connotes excellence in academics and research.
ULL doesn't measure up institutionally.
And nor can we, the taxpayers, afford to fund them at a rate to be able to be worthy of the name.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:30 pm 
Emerald Circle

Sophandros wrote:
Roller wrote:
Sophandros wrote:
Tulane expressly gave USL permission to rebrand as UL-L. Huge difference. That said, it's petty and beneath us to talk about that, or quite frankly, them.
As fans, we were never polled.

But we were shafted.

Now, I guess I need to PhotoShop my diploma.

It's really not that big of a deal. My diploma also says The Tulane University of Louisiana. I don't lose sleep over ULL. The history is still there and will never go away.

It does absolutely no good whatsoever to obsess over this.

I do not believe in giving up things for no good reason

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

Sophandros wrote:
windywave wrote:
Sophandros wrote:
Roller wrote:
GSx wrote:
Now there's somene who calls himself "Tulane Sports", who has nothing to do with Tulane, tweeting out misinformation and old information. Tulane should shut him down for trademark violation.
If they won't shut down those who pass themselves off as "The University of Louisiana," why would you expect them to shut down this jerk?

When was this?
Tulane expressly gave USL permission to rebrand as UL-L. Huge difference. That said, it's petty and beneath us to talk about that, or quite frankly, them.

It happened when they rebranded. They had to ask our permission to do so and we granted it. For years they were part of the University of Louisiana system, but that system had no flagship, due to the LSU contingency in the state legislature. Finally, they were allowed to be named the flagship school of the system, but that required our approval. We granted it.

They could be the flagship without us granting them the right ... I dislike all of those schools

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:02 pm 
Emerald Circle

Sophandros wrote:

It does nothing to LSU. It sticks it to ULL. The "UL" thing is and has been such an obsession with those unfortunate people that the notion that it was a boon granted them by us is delicious to contemplate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:41 pm 
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:
Sophandros wrote:

It does nothing to LSU. It sticks it to ULL. The "UL" thing is and has been such an obsession with those unfortunate people that the notion that it was a boon granted them by us is delicious to contemplate.

I was working in Baton Rouge when they first started using "Louisiana" back in the late 90s, and the LSU fans were livid. It was glorious, as some of them even went so far as to state that people would get confused between LSU and UL. You know, because people are confused by Oregon and Oregon State or UNC and NC State...

The LSU anger is real, and it's hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:44 pm 
Emerald Circle

The ULL haplessness is just as real and it's great, too. We should force them to refer to themselves as USL when addressing anyone in Tulane garb.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:51 pm 
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:
The ULL haplessness is just as real and it's great, too. We should force them to refer to themselves as USL when addressing anyone in Tulane garb.

I both agree and cab get behind that idea.

I did ask some of them why Louisville fans were at the New Orleans Bowl a few years back.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

Shaun King just tweeted Ty Pigrome to encourage him to go to Tulane was that wrong? Maybe we should fuss at him? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:07 pm 
Regent's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
Shaun King just tweeted Ty Pigrome to encourage him to go to Tulane was that wrong? Maybe we should fuss at him? :wink:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: I think it's ok for Shaun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:26 pm 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:

No because he might come eat you

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:43 pm 
Cornerstone

If Shaun is doing it as a booster, it's improper. If he is doing it as some form of representation in accordance with the Athletic Department, it's probably OK. It's fairly common, I think, for recruiters to employ well-known alumni as part of the process--though I imagine that it's generally as part of official visits. My biggest concern is with fans who will contact recruits and unintentionally interfere with the staff's recruiting process.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:40 pm 
Regent's Circle

The NCAA has deemed it illegal for coaches to subtweet recruits:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/NCAA-issues-r ... s-43897093

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:18 am 
President's Circle

More fun with recruit tweeting! Texas A&M WR coach loses himself a recruit by tweeting about "commitment" after QB recruit de-commits:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rec ... ach-tweets

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:40 am 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
More fun with recruit tweeting! Texas A&M WR coach loses himself a recruit by tweeting about "commitment" after QB recruit de-commits:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rec ... ach-tweets

Looks like they lost a couple of recruits and some others "with interest" no longer have interest.
I actually like that the assistant followed up and said, basically, "I wasn't talking about you but if you're that soft, we don't want you anyway". Probably won't go over well because they lost hihgly-ranked prospects, but maybe other schools need to think about whether these kids can't take verbal abuse.

Perhaps they will need to build shelters over the sidelines so the players can be in their "safe zones" during games and not hear fan comments. :jerry:

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:44 am 
Emerald Circle

I doubt that coach ever once intimated that the kid was soft until the kid gave him some bad news. Who's really soft here?

Besides, this thread was about fans tweeting recruits, which is banned by the NCAA, for whatever that's worth, as well as being just plain undignified and a bad idea.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:53 pm 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
I doubt that coach ever once intimated that the kid was soft until the kid gave him some bad news. Who's really soft here?

Besides, this thread was about fans tweeting recruits, which is banned by the NCAA, for whatever that's worth, as well as being just plain undignified and a bad idea.

I know, but would a new thread have been better? Maybe I could just paste a link with no description! :jerry: