Do not tweet at recruits

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
waverider
Cornerstone

Do not tweet at recruits

Post by waverider »

long green wrote:http://sportsnola.com/lsu-or-tulane-for-lindsey-scott/

Ed Daniels does us a solid, even though I don't think it will lead to our desired end. He just goes out and says it; Scott should come here, where he is wanted.
The active fans on Twitter need to keep tweeting at Scott and ask:

Coach on his way up vs coach on his way out?
Coach that made you a priority or the coach that offered after all other QBs turned him down?
Be the man that turns Tulane football around or be the guy that hands off to Fournette 30 times a game?

Moderator Note: This discussion has been separated from it's original thread-jack and merged into a single topic regarding tweeting to recruits--which is against NCAA rules and generally not a good idea.
Read the entire thread before taking the advice in this post.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Lindsey Scott, Tre Jackson among official visitors heade

Post by long green »

Your three questions:

1) Is that true? I think Miles is set up for a good year that will secure his spot for the next two years after that. How long is Fritz here if he gets off to a good start?
2) Nobody has a big head start on this guy. Our offer is really only a month older than LSU's. He just dumped the first FBS school that really believed in him.
3) I take your point but the end is problematic: Lindsey Scott will never hand off to Leonard Fournette. He'll sit for this year and LF will be gone to make just slightly more money in the NFL.

If someone must tweet to a high school recruit, which I won't, ever, hit the fact that Tulane and Coaches Fritz and Ruse run an offense that is basically made for him, that he can come in and run this year. Or you could be clever, pose as an LSU fan, and send him hudl clips of Lowell Narcisse, LSU's likely top target at QB next year.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
algirau
Riptide Level

Post by algirau »

long green wrote:Your three questions:

1) Is that true? I think Miles is set up for a good year that will secure his spot for the next two years after that. How long is Fritz here if he gets off to a good start?
2) Nobody has a big head start on this guy. Our offer is really only a month older than LSU's. He just dumped the first FBS school that really believed in him.
3) I take your point but the end is problematic: Lindsey Scott will never hand off to Leonard Fournette. He'll sit for this year and LF will be gone to make just slightly more money in the NFL.

If someone must tweet to a high school recruit, which I won't, ever, hit the fact that Tulane and Coaches Fritz and Ruse run an offense that is basically made for him, that he can come in and run this year. Or you could be clever, pose as an LSU fan, and send him hudl clips of Lowell Narcisse, LSU's likely top target at QB next year.
I tweeted and basically said the same thing, " Leading Tulane to new era > handing off to Fournette 30X a game, Coach that makes you a priority > Coach with late offer"

If we dont land Scott or Pigrome, I still think we will produce better than last year.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

waverider wrote:

Ed Daniels does us a solid, even though I don't think it will lead to our desired end. He just goes out and says it; Scott should come here, where he is wanted.

Coach that made you a priority or the coach that offered after all other QBs turned him down?
Be the man that turns Tulane football around or be the guy that hands off to Fournette 30 times a game?
My take on that is that it's kind of creepy for a bunch of us to bug a high school kid on twitter.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Sophandros wrote:
waverider wrote:

My take on that is that it's kind of creepy for a bunch of us to bug a high school kid on twitter.
Agree.
Don't tweet recruits.
And really, it's condescending to ask him that stuff. He's a smart guy and knows the situation.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

As a general principle I only follow commits and never actually tweet at them, just look at what LSU, Florida State, etc. fan Twitter does and do the exact opposite. #FSUTWITTER is fairly famous for being irrational and creepy
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Do not tweet at recruits

Post by Sophandros »

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/2/3/796964 ... flow-chart

This probably needs its own thread. Heck, our own staff retweeted the flowchart...
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Do not tweet at recruits

Post by Sophandros »

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Sophandros wrote:http://www.sbnation.com/2015/2/3/796964 ... flow-chart

This probably needs its own thread. Heck, our own staff retweeted the flowchart...
Stalking an 18 year old kid on Twitter is really creepy. Pretending to be an LSU alum while stalking a recruit is still probably creepy. Clever, but still probably creepy.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: Do not tweet at recruits

Post by windywave »

Also it may be against the rules.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I agree. I have always found it somewhat creepy when adults are interacting (see also stalking) with High School kids on Twitter.

When I made my suggestion it was directed at the numerous people (likely Tulane staff) that have emerged recently that appear active with tweeting at or about recruits.
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

NJwave wrote:

Stalking an 18 year old kid on Twitter is really creepy. Pretending to be an LSU alum while stalking a recruit is still probably creepy. Clever, but still probably creepy.
I just responded to the sticky thread that I too find it creepy for adults to be interacting with high school kids. Wonder if it would be viewed worse if it was women's BBall or Vball recruits grown men were harassing.
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

NJwave wrote:

If that last bit was aimed at me you might want to remember that I also posted that I don't and would not ever tweet at a recruit. The agent provocateur suggestion was not serious.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

windywave wrote:Also it may be against the rules.
Troy Dannen retweeted the flowchart from Tulane Compliance. I think any of us who contribute to TAF absolutely should not tweet at recruits. It's probably best if NONE OF US does so, as the NCAA may decide that purchasing tickets makes one a booster in the event that they want to make an example out of someone.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

long green wrote:
NJwave wrote:

If that last bit was aimed at me you might want to remember that I also posted that I don't and would not ever tweet at a recruit. The agent provocateur suggestion was not serious.
Not at all. Didn't even realize you had said something similar. Good to know we have equally bad senses of humor.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

It's not illegal to the best of my knowledge and I really don't see the NCAA adding this cat-herding to the list of things they can't do adequately now. The people @Tulane seem to be discouraging it which should be enough if one's self-respect hasn't done the job already.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

FWIW Troy Dannen retweeted the flow chart.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

It's super creepy and, honestly, pretty arrogant. None of us are going to persuade a kid of anything other than that there's an awful lot of creepy old guys around if we tweet at them. I just don't see it as being at all persuasive or having any benefit, and it definitely has the potential to either backdoor into a NCAA problem or scaring someone off inadvertently.
algirau
Riptide Level

Post by algirau »

Im 27 so not far removed. Im also in New Orleans.

This is the whole point of twitter, immediate interaction. Get off your high horse.

I tweeted Mark Cuban before and got a response. You all need to relax. If you don't agree with how to use Twitter then don't. But don't bash others for using "social media". Its the 21st century.

Im not advocating harassment but get a grip or get off social media. I prefer to contibute to social media and the digital universe and not just be a passive consumer like 98% of the world.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

"Creepy" is not the correct term. The recruits have nothing out of the ordinary to fear from people who tweet them. People are just prying and being busy bodies. There is no implicit threat in communicating with a teenage minor. Civiliy appropriate? Probly not. Creepy? No.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

algirau wrote:Im 27 so not far removed. Im also in New Orleans.

This is the whole point of twitter, immediate interaction. Get off your high horse.

I tweeted Mark Cuban before and got a response. You all need to relax. If you don't agree with how to use Twitter then don't. But don't bash others for using "social media". Its the 21st century.

Im not advocating harassment but get a grip or get off social media. I prefer to contibute to social media and the digital universe and not just be a passive consumer like 98% of the world.
Tweeting at the Mark Cubans and other celebrities in the public eye is fine. Tweeting at high school kids making an extremely important decision that you're not qualified (or allowed) to influence is not.

Btw, I'm 28 if that matters. :roll:
algirau
Riptide Level

Post by algirau »

I disagree. I am not saying make it a habit, but I could easily argue both sides of this issue.

The inherent risk that I will acknowledge is that he might get "turned off". However, I think it is more probable that he will agree with (or at least is already considering) the obvious facts that were in my tweet.

Calculated risk. So sue me. Im an entrepreneur, my life is a calculated risk.
algirau
Riptide Level

Post by algirau »

Fine. No tweeting.

Buzz killington.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Sophandros wrote:
Troy Dannen retweeted the flowchart from Tulane Compliance. I think any of us who contribute to TAF absolutely should not tweet at recruits. It's probably best if NONE OF US does so, as the NCAA may decide that purchasing tickets makes one a booster in the event that they want to make an example out of someone.
I don't tweet at recruits, but you're delusional if you think the NCAA cares. Please go look at the twitter page of any recruit that has offers from an SEC school or Ohio State, etc. They often retweet stuff "fans" ask them to, and I'd guarantee these fans donate money to the school. A lot of the kids love it, and eat up the attention.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

FW wrote:
Sophandros wrote:
I don't tweet at recruits, but you're delusional if you think the NCAA cares. Please go look at the twitter page of any recruit that has offers from an SEC school or Ohio State, etc. They often retweet stuff "fans" ask them to, and I'd guarantee these fans donate money to the school. A lot of the kids love it, and eat up the attention.
Yeah, that's pretty silly. They let actual "cheating" go without punishment, they're definitely not cracking down on twitter.