Do not tweet at recruits

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Do not tweet at recruits

Post by long green »

Whoops, wrong thread. Who cares?
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Sophandros wrote: It happened when they rebranded. They had to ask our permission to do so and we granted it. For years they were part of the University of Louisiana system, but that system had no flagship, due to the LSU contingency in the state legislature. Finally, they were allowed to be named the flagship school of the system, but that required our approval. We granted it.

If anything, we should be happy as this sticks it to LSU.
ULL is not the flagship of the La System. ULL, La Tech and UNO are co-equals.
I don't care about U of La usurping the title from the standpoint of Tulane. WE don't use it.
I care about it from my standpoint of a La resident and citizen. "U of La" connotes excellence in academics and research.
ULL doesn't measure up institutionally.
And nor can we, the taxpayers, afford to fund them at a rate to be able to be worthy of the name.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Sophandros wrote:
Roller wrote:
Sophandros wrote:Tulane expressly gave USL permission to rebrand as UL-L. Huge difference. That said, it's petty and beneath us to talk about that, or quite frankly, them.
As fans, we were never polled.

But we were shafted.

Now, I guess I need to PhotoShop my diploma.
It's really not that big of a deal. My diploma also says The Tulane University of Louisiana. I don't lose sleep over ULL. The history is still there and will never go away.

It does absolutely no good whatsoever to obsess over this.
I do not believe in giving up things for no good reason
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Sophandros wrote:
windywave wrote:
Sophandros wrote:
Roller wrote:
GSx wrote:Now there's somene who calls himself "Tulane Sports", who has nothing to do with Tulane, tweeting out misinformation and old information. Tulane should shut him down for trademark violation.
If they won't shut down those who pass themselves off as "The University of Louisiana," why would you expect them to shut down this jerk?
When was this?
Tulane expressly gave USL permission to rebrand as UL-L. Huge difference. That said, it's petty and beneath us to talk about that, or quite frankly, them.
It happened when they rebranded. They had to ask our permission to do so and we granted it. For years they were part of the University of Louisiana system, but that system had no flagship, due to the LSU contingency in the state legislature. Finally, they were allowed to be named the flagship school of the system, but that required our approval. We granted it.

If anything, we should be happy as this sticks it to LSU.
They could be the flagship without us granting them the right ... I dislike all of those schools
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Sophandros wrote: If anything, we should be happy as this sticks it to LSU.
It does nothing to LSU. It sticks it to ULL. The "UL" thing is and has been such an obsession with those unfortunate people that the notion that it was a boon granted them by us is delicious to contemplate.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

long green wrote:
Sophandros wrote: If anything, we should be happy as this sticks it to LSU.
It does nothing to LSU. It sticks it to ULL. The "UL" thing is and has been such an obsession with those unfortunate people that the notion that it was a boon granted them by us is delicious to contemplate.
I was working in Baton Rouge when they first started using "Louisiana" back in the late 90s, and the LSU fans were livid. It was glorious, as some of them even went so far as to state that people would get confused between LSU and UL. You know, because people are confused by Oregon and Oregon State or UNC and NC State...

The LSU anger is real, and it's hilarious.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

The ULL haplessness is just as real and it's great, too. We should force them to refer to themselves as USL when addressing anyone in Tulane garb.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

long green wrote:The ULL haplessness is just as real and it's great, too. We should force them to refer to themselves as USL when addressing anyone in Tulane garb.
I both agree and cab get behind that idea.

I did ask some of them why Louisville fans were at the New Orleans Bowl a few years back.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Shaun King just tweeted Ty Pigrome to encourage him to go to Tulane was that wrong? Maybe we should fuss at him? :wink:
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

GreenieBacker wrote:Shaun King just tweeted Ty Pigrome to encourage him to go to Tulane was that wrong? Maybe we should fuss at him? :wink:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: I think it's ok for Shaun.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

GreenieBacker wrote:Shaun King just tweeted Ty Pigrome to encourage him to go to Tulane was that wrong? Maybe we should fuss at him? :wink:
No because he might come eat you
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

If Shaun is doing it as a booster, it's improper. If he is doing it as some form of representation in accordance with the Athletic Department, it's probably OK. It's fairly common, I think, for recruiters to employ well-known alumni as part of the process--though I imagine that it's generally as part of official visits. My biggest concern is with fans who will contact recruits and unintentionally interfere with the staff's recruiting process.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

The NCAA has deemed it illegal for coaches to subtweet recruits:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/NCAA-issues-r ... s-43897093
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

More fun with recruit tweeting! Texas A&M WR coach loses himself a recruit by tweeting about "commitment" after QB recruit de-commits:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rec ... ach-tweets
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:More fun with recruit tweeting! Texas A&M WR coach loses himself a recruit by tweeting about "commitment" after QB recruit de-commits:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rec ... ach-tweets
Looks like they lost a couple of recruits and some others "with interest" no longer have interest.
I actually like that the assistant followed up and said, basically, "I wasn't talking about you but if you're that soft, we don't want you anyway". Probably won't go over well because they lost hihgly-ranked prospects, but maybe other schools need to think about whether these kids can't take verbal abuse.

Perhaps they will need to build shelters over the sidelines so the players can be in their "safe zones" during games and not hear fan comments. :jerry:
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I doubt that coach ever once intimated that the kid was soft until the kid gave him some bad news. Who's really soft here?

Besides, this thread was about fans tweeting recruits, which is banned by the NCAA, for whatever that's worth, as well as being just plain undignified and a bad idea.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

long green wrote:I doubt that coach ever once intimated that the kid was soft until the kid gave him some bad news. Who's really soft here?

Besides, this thread was about fans tweeting recruits, which is banned by the NCAA, for whatever that's worth, as well as being just plain undignified and a bad idea.
I know, but would a new thread have been better? Maybe I could just paste a link with no description! :jerry:
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I thought it necessary to bring this up again....DO NOT TWEET AT RECRUITS. There are people on twitter bashing former commits for reporting other offers and tagging one of our best current commits in the tweets. STOP. You idiots are going to do some real harm one day. You aren't "defending Tulane," you're making yourself (and the school) look stupid.
This one belongs to the Wave.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TU23 wrote:I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I thought it necessary to bring this up again....DO NOT TWEET AT RECRUITS. There are people on twitter bashing former commits for reporting other offers and tagging one of our best current commits in the tweets. STOP. You idiots are going to do some real harm one day. You aren't "defending Tulane," you're making yourself (and the school) look stupid.
What are the chances it's a regular poster from here doing it?
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote:
TU23 wrote:I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I thought it necessary to bring this up again....DO NOT TWEET AT RECRUITS. There are people on twitter bashing former commits for reporting other offers and tagging one of our best current commits in the tweets. STOP. You idiots are going to do some real harm one day. You aren't "defending Tulane," you're making yourself (and the school) look stupid.
What are the chances it's a regular poster from here doing it?
Close to zero
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I just read the story about the Norte Dame commit that just decommitted and had a ND fan send him a private message calling the kid a coward and bashing his decision. The kid classily replied something along the lines of "Have a blessed day".
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Example of what happens when fanbases don't police their own:

https://bustedcoverage.com/2017/12/20/c ... leg-tweet/
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Sophandros wrote:Example of what happens when fanbases don't police their own:

Yes, this guy totally seems like the type willing to be "policed" by other fans.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

That class act Les Miles described Kiel (QB that decommitted from lsu) as having no chest that couldn't lead a program. What a major richard move by the head coach. And fyi - no policing from the great tigger fan base.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

That's from two years ago
#cousins don't count