2017 Tulane Football Recruiting Info & Discussion

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
long green
Cornerstone

2017 Tulane Football Recruiting Info & Discussion

Post by long green »

And we're off!
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

Re: 2017 Tulane Football Recruiting Info & Discussion

Post by long green »

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... ll_is.html

Campbell has started picking up offers(ULM, then us) and will probably get a few more before he signs.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4111875/hig ... /315690421
Last edited by long green on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote:http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... ll_is.html

Campbell has started picking up offers(ULM, then us) and will probably get a few more before he signs.
5'10" 175 lb. STRONG safety? He'll either need to grow or play free safety. If he can run fast and hit, he'll be a keeper.
Plan your work, work your plan.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

His films show him lining up on the corner as well as in the middle.
Last edited by long green on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

http://sportsnola.com/recruiting-notes- ... all-class/

Nice mention of Tulane throughout. My personal favorite as a Shaw alum is my friend's nephew Cameron Jackel. He is interested in Tulane so I hope we are on him.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

Great to see that the first commitment is from the New Orleans area.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

In one of his Signing Day media appearances Fritz said that rather than have one or two assistants concentrating on the metro area he would assign a certain # of area schools to every one of his nine assistant coaches. I thought that was interesting.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

long green wrote:In one of his Signing Day media appearances Fritz said that rather than have one or two assistants concentrating on the metro area he would assign a certain # of area schools to every one of his nine assistant coaches. I thought that was interesting.
I like it. When Assistant #1 knows that he is personally responsible for say 10 schools, he has a tangible job description. He sets up a call plan and visits every one of those 10 schools for introductions and periodic revisits. Very quickly he comes up with a list of say 50 prospects from those 10 schools and then starts peeling the onion on specific skills, compatibility with Tulane's athletic, leadership and academic demands and winnows from there. From there, assistants 1-9 start comparing notes and ranking their prospects with an eye towards making informed offers early. Seems obvious when you think about it, but I bet quite a lot of recruiting is more ad hoc. This puts discipline into the process.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I like the strategy as well.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:
long green wrote:In one of his Signing Day media appearances Fritz said that rather than have one or two assistants concentrating on the metro area he would assign a certain # of area schools to every one of his nine assistant coaches. I thought that was interesting.
I like it. When Assistant #1 knows that he is personally responsible for say 10 schools, he has a tangible job description. He sets up a call plan and visits every one of those 10 schools for introductions and periodic revisits. Very quickly he comes up with a list of say 50 prospects from those 10 schools and then starts peeling the onion on specific skills, compatibility with Tulane's athletic, leadership and academic demands and winnows from there. From there, assistants 1-9 start comparing notes and ranking their prospects with an eye towards making informed offers early. Seems obvious when you think about it, but I bet quite a lot of recruiting is more ad hoc. This puts discipline into the process.
How do you think this is different than the process if assistants have a geographic area?
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

I like splitting it for NOLA. First, you can get more coverage by assigned roles. A lot of NOLA wasn't covered under the prior system. Second, that requires every assistant to travel to another area...that's a fairer approach and could preclude some hard intra-staff feelings if certain assistants don't have to travel to recruit. Third, NOLA is a weird duck and reduces the chances (or effect) of "Friendly" offers to keep a certain HS coach, or neighbor happy.

I also took a look at the TU Coaches clinic flyer. Very nice coverage of coaches from throughout the state.
enviro5609
Navigator Level

Post by enviro5609 »

https://twitter.com/coachwefritz/status ... 9194594304

This is huge. Fritz tweeted that Tulane is hosting a coaching clinic April 8-9. Coaches from Lutcher, Warren Easton, Scotlandville, John Ehret, Parkview, Rummel, Kinder, and Evangel Christian are headlining.

Folks, that's how you build connections. None of this, "what can I do for you please send me recruits that can't go to LSU, I'll do whatever it takes." It's, "let me do you a favor, get your name out there. look what I can do for you. Don't want to owe me a favor? Fine someone else will."

Tulane has facilities and a bully pulpit. About time we used it.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
How do you think this is different than the process if assistants have a geographic area?
It's much more specific. A geographic area has lots of holes.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

enviro5609 wrote:https://twitter.com/coachwefritz/status ... 9194594304

This is huge. Fritz tweeted that Tulane is hosting a coaching clinic April 8-9. Coaches from Lutcher, Warren Easton, Scotlandville, John Ehret, Parkview, Rummel, Kinder, and Evangel Christian are headlining.

Folks, that's how you build connections. None of this, "what can I do for you please send me recruits that can't go to LSU, I'll do whatever it takes." It's, "let me do you a favor, get your name out there. look what I can do for you. Don't want to owe me a favor? Fine someone else will."

Tulane has facilities and a bully pulpit. About time we used it.
The previous staff used the hell out of Yulman last spring practice, bringing in tons of prospects every Saturday. This staff will do the same thing, only better and smarter.

Speaking of smarter...

There's the banner for the coaching clinic. Note that the only names are the featured HS coaches. No Willie Fritz, they are the headliners. That is smart.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

I also liked the call-out for the walkons: Mandatory 7:30 AM meeting on Tuesday. Putting in the discipline early in the process.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
It's much more specific. A geographic area has lots of holes.
Sure, in the sense that you can go deeper in a narrow pool. Just think of how focused we could be if we only recruited NO? But if I'm assigned to recruit, say, Atlanta (note: tangible job description), I'm going to do essentially some version of what you say. Visit schools, talk to coaches, list prospects, etc. If I'm also responsible for x schools in New Orleans, then that is taking away from my recruiting in Atlanta. There's only a finite amount of time I can spend recruiting. I don't think one way is necessarily better than another. Wonder if Fritz is using this as a way of introducing the staff to area coaches, see who develops a rapport and then changes assignments down the road?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

ml wave wrote:Sure, in the sense that you can go deeper in a narrow pool. Just think of how focused we could be if we only recruited NO? But if I'm assigned to recruit, say, Atlanta (note: tangible job description), I'm going to do essentially some version of what you say. Visit schools, talk to coaches, list prospects, etc. If I'm also responsible for x schools in New Orleans, then that is taking away from my recruiting in Atlanta. There's only a finite amount of time I can spend recruiting. I don't think one way is necessarily better than another. Wonder if Fritz is using this as a way of introducing the staff to area coaches, see who develops a rapport and then changes assignments down the road?
I don't think we disagree. Maybe it will be easier to take the small bite approach (10-20 schools in a given area, by name) at least to start with the side benefit of doing what you say--getting your staff known locally--and tweaking it later.

I just know that in my line of business it is much more manageable to have a specific target, by name, than to say--go sell to this city or this country. New Orleans is small so you can blanket the area pretty quickly and move on. If I am given Atlanta, say, where do I start would be the question. High profile recruits would have attracted attention already from multiple suitors both from local colleges and from elsewhere. There are hundreds of high schools so making an effort manageable would be the problem, not finding the gems. Anyway, I could be all wrong but not knowing what the previous staff did, I like what we hear WF is doing.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Tulane is having its Junior Day this weekend. One good local prospect, big OL/DL Mikhail Hill of West Jeff, said this week he'd here. Earlier this week we had unofficial visits from Rummel LB Shahid Reece, Rummel DB Jakobi Jones, and De La Salle LB David Gregg.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Coach is expecting 100-150 kids there for Junior Day.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

LSU, Tulane make Alabama quarterback Malik Cunningham's top 8
http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... river_home
Cunningham put LSU, who he'd previously called his leader, in the top group along with Alabama, Florida, Memphis, Georgia, Tulane, Georgia Tech and Louisville.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Cunningham put LSU, who he'd previously called his leader, in the top group along with Alabama, Florida, Memphis, Georgia, Tulane, Georgia Tech and Louisville.
That is a list I would be okay with being on every time.... as long as we get some here and there!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

GreenieBacker wrote:Coach is expecting 100-150 kids there for Junior Day.
It turns out that we've never really done this before. The closest we've come was when CJ and staff threw out the welcome on spring practice Saturdays last year.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

We should be handing out quite a few offers today and tomorrow.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Twitter reported yesterday that we offered a Texas WR who had 3 other 1-a offers. I don't know if we'll get any commitments but a lot of teams do at these things.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

credit to Andrew Lopez of nola.com who put together a list of the nola.com top 50 LA players expected at Tulane this weekend.

They are: DB Amik Robertson of Thibodaux, LB Josh Clarke of Riverdale HS, DB Jeremiah West of St. Aug, DB's JaCorion Andrews & Corey Straughter of Neville HS, DL Dennis Collins of West Monroe, WR Jeremy Singleton of Bro. Martin, QB Justice McCoy of St Aug and WR Takulve Williams also of St. Aug.

Almost all of those would be real scores Robertson has crazy good film. Other in-state guys visiting that I think sound really interesting are DL Troy James of Madison Prep in Baton Rouge, DE Chris Turner of Hammond, and DL Caleb Sampson of Northshore Christian. That's only a few of many. One guy I was not aware of before today was QB/ATH Devion Warren of Ouachita HS in Monroe. Yes, please.

There are also a bunch of out of state guys in. One of those expected is RB Jaelen Greene of Sandy Creek HS in Georgia, the same HS as new DB Will Harper. He has offers from us, Cincy and ECU and several others.

Thanks again to Andrew Lopez for doing that.