2018 Football Recruiting

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: 2018 Football Recruiting

Post by long green »

It is just a list and it's early. I think it's a pretty good list for this early. Of the more than 30 in-state 2018 seniors more than half are solidly rated good recruits and most of the rest are on multiple teams' radar screens. But it's really early.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

You'll be glad to know that the TP has given us another list of visitors, this time to the spring game. Here's the link:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... _in_a.html

And here are the 2018 recruits broken down in-state and out:

Lance Robinson, S, De La Salle
Garland LaFrance, RB, St. Augustine
Kym Wimberly, WR, Holy Cross
Josh Smith, DL, Landry-Walker
Kyle Jackson, LB, St. Augustine
Josh Gillard, LB, Holy Cross
Jansen Mayea, DE, Westgate

The first four names here are definite FBS prospects. Gillard is a new name to me who looks pretty good on film.

out of state:
Karlos Dillard, LB, Gulfport (MS)
Brandon Nettles, DE/LB, Lake Ridge (TX)
Chris Reid, QB, E. Coweta (GA)
Shawn Thomas, WR, Ft. Bend Bush (TX)
K.J. Phillips, LB, Woodward Academy (GA)
Keith Gallmon, DB, Mobile Christian (AL)

Five of the six look like legit recruits though only Phillips (a Monty Montgomery-type) and Nettles have reported 1-a offers right now.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Is the LaFrance kid related to the LaFrance that played with us?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

tjtlja wrote:Is the LaFrance kid related to the LaFrance that played with us?
Probably? There's a lot of (related) LaFrance's down in Plaquemines (Port Sulphur maybe?)
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Not a sibling, but, fun fact, Royce was cousins with Trent Mackey!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

ml wave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Is the LaFrance kid related to the LaFrance that played with us?
Probably? There's a lot of (related) LaFrance's down in Plaquemines (Port Sulphur maybe?)
He's the younger brother of St Aug alum Giovanni LaFrance, who committed to Tulane while CJ was here. Giovanni decommitted shortly before CJ was officially canned (I'm pretty sure of this), then visited here for Fritz' first big weekend of visits. Shortly after that Arkansas offered him and he committed and signed there. Garland is supposed to be visiting Arkansas soon if he hasn't already. He does not fit the mold of a back in the Bielema offense, IMO. Garland is really quick but he hasn't yet lit it up on a sustained basis in HS ball.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

we offered De La Salle DT Jamiran James today or yesterday. Also, Northshore HS DT Kemon Smith, who we offered a while back, decommitted from SMU.
Last edited by long green on Fri May 05, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

a DT? Nice.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I can confirm what Long Green said about Garland LaFrance. He visited Arkansas recently and has been there several times. He will not get an offer to play at Arkansas at RB. I don't see him getting an offer at all, but that's just me. He's a good back with a lot of quickness and athletic ability. Needs to be more consistent and probably will get better as he fills out more. Still on the smallish side. He's holding out for a bigger offer, but I think if he doesn't get an Arkansas offer, we have a good shot.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

The kid from W Monroe (Slade Bolden) narrowed his list down to 10. We didn't make the cut.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Saintgreenie wrote:The kid from W Monroe (Slade Bolden) narrowed his list down to 10. We didn't make the cut.
But La Tech did
My cousin is his grandmother and she told me Tulane didn't recruit him heavy
He has 4.0 GPA
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I'm sure we contacted & offered but after that a lot of it is up to the recruit.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

St Aug will be playing their spring game in Yulman
Rectuit Garland LaFrance playing
https://twitter.com/glafrance04/status/ ... 7197811712
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Tulane49 wrote:St Aug will be playing their spring game in Yulman
Rectuit Garland LaFrance playing
https://twitter.com/glafrance04/status/ ... 7197811712
I'm happy to see that. I'd invite a few schools to have theirs there.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Per the kid & Jimmy Smith, we've offered WR Kym Wimberly of Holy Cross. Slot receiver type, runs well after the catch. A slightly faster Encalade? A couple or more FBS offers plus the whole Ivy League, so he knows from books. Solid rating from 247. Smith says he'll blow up but I doubt it until HC finds a QB.

Edit: Houston offered Wimberly the same day as us.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Just some random thoughts while we wait for things to pick up:

I think our best bet to break out recruiting locally is to try to get Garland LaFrance, Juan Monjarres and Kym Wimberly to commit early. I think we have a good shot at Jamiran James from De La Salle as well. Those 4 would be a solid core group of local kids.

Others to keep an eye on: Curry Benn and Josh Smith from Landry-Walker and Jared Miles from 35.

I'm going to be interested to see if we offer Tyrone Legette and Marquese Albert from Curtis. Legette is really small but can fly. Albert is a tough runner who doesn't have ideal size or great speed, but the dude gets it done. This figures to be a really small class, though, so I don't think we take any "fliers" on guys this year if we can help it.

I don't think we end up offering Dante Carter, the NG from St. Aug. He's got a ton of natural ability, but he's got a weight problem and I don't think that's something this staff is going to put up with. If CJ was here, I think we'd already have offered him.

We never had a shot at Slade Bolden by the way. WM kids always seem to leave LA Tech in as their "local" school.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Dante Carter's hudl is really impressive but he's too heavy for his height, which might also be an issue. If I got him on campus and he measured 6'0" barefoot I'd have a hard time not offering him. But some of these kids don't ever want to leave Mama's kitchen. Some do, many don't.

Yesterday, Jimmy Smith said he thought Marlon Young of Opelousas was leaning heavily to Tulane. There are a lot of guys like him in this class: good-sized defensive ends who could grow into tackles if they don't stay at end. St. James has one of those that I like but there are higher rated guys than him in that position like Young and Smith.

If we picked up a commitment one of those good local receivers I can't see us offering another one until the end when we might find ourselves with room. We have to find an instant contributor at running back (a Hilliard-type), we have to get at least 3 OL's, and we have to get five DL's if not more.

If you subtract seniors from the current squad size we'd have fourteen slots available. There are some juniors who will probably walk on Senior Day and with one or two other guys leaving we could sign 18 or 19. So yeah, we have to be selective and can't take fliers.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Great information guys. Do we have any commitments at this time that have not gone public? You would think 18 would be the number given the amount of seniors on the team.

As a side note, Jeremy got to know Coach Fritz being in the trainer's room so often and he introduced himself to me a couple of weeks ago. It was an honor to speak to him. He is so personable and very articulated. If we can win, my impression is he will be able to recruit guys we don't normally see wearing Tulane football uniforms.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Slade Bolden is a two sport athlete, football and baseball, if we can convince him he has a shot to play both sports this may help
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Just saw a tweet from Jimmy Smith about a week ago saying (and taking blame for it) that he will no longer retweet kids' offers if they include the number with it. There was some discussion on here about that a while back. Finally agree with Jimmy on something!

I only post this to let people that follow him know that he will purposely ignore offer tweets (unless presumably the kid is a lsu target).
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

if they include the number with it.......

what number are you referring to?
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

GreenieBacker wrote: if they include the number with it.......

what number are you referring to?
"Blessed to receive my 12th offer from . . . "
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I've always thought that was obnoxious. I can understand doing it for your first offer, but after that, it's like you're touting the number of offers and nothing else.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Got it, thanks for the explanation.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Last edited by sr on Tue May 23, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.