2018 Football Recruiting

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: 2018 Football Recruiting

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:
sr wrote:Looks like Tulane signed a transfer WR/KR out of Claremont McKenna College (NCAA Div III) - Johnathon Keller 5'9" 175

Can Div III transfers play right away??

https://twitter.com/jkeller02/status/99 ... 11488?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826Qkgw ... e=youtu.be
Still have to sit out a year unless can get a waiver for some reason
You sure? I thought that's why people went to 1AA so they could play right away
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

gerryb323 wrote:
sr wrote:Looks like Tulane signed a transfer WR/KR out of Claremont McKenna College (NCAA Div III) - Johnathon Keller 5'9" 175

I think you are wrong on this one gerryb. Only because I am familiar with Richmond, they get plenty of D1 players transfer to come in and play, the benefit being they can play immediately, without sitting out, because Richmond is a FCS school. A prime example was Michael Strauss, a Tulane QB recruit who spurned us to go to UVA, was fourth on the depth chart, transferred to UR and started the very next season. I cannot imagine that a sit out a year mandate for a lesser category like DIII, which doesn't even allow schollies.
Plan your work, work your plan.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

I think you are wrong on this one gerryb. Only because I am familiar with Richmond, they get plenty of D1 players transfer to come in and play, the benefit being they can play immediately, without sitting out, because Richmond is a FCS school. A prime example was Michael Strauss, a Tulane QB recruit who spurned us to go to UVA, was fourth on the depth chart, transferred to UR and started the very next season. I cannot imagine that a sit out a year mandate for a lesser category like DIII, which doesn't even allow schollies.
I don't think he'll have to sit out (but not sure and I'm not bothering to look it up), but you're talking about a transfer in the other direction.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I think the fact that he's going from no scholarship to no scholarship makes him eligible. The chances he actually makes it onto the field this year are very small.
This one belongs to the Wave.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

I think you don't sit out if you're transferring down the ladder; but you do if you transfer up.
If free transfers were allowed, we'd see a lot of FCS transfers into FBS school for their juniors and senior year.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

GSx wrote:I think you don't sit out if you're transferring down the ladder; but you do if you transfer up.
If free transfers were allowed, we'd see a lot of FCS transfers into FBS school for their juniors and senior year.
But FCS and FBS are both nominally Division I.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship
#cousins don't count
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Thought I'd take a look at Claremont McKenna's facts - interesting
-- 35 miles East of LA
-- 1300 students
-- $52,500 Tuition & Fees / $16,000 Room & Board
-- 1340 - 1510 SAT Range
-- 30-34 ACT
-- 6400 applicants / 650 admitted / 360 enrolled
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

GSx wrote:I think you don't sit out if you're transferring down the ladder; but you do if you transfer up.
This is correct
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

One-time transfer exception:
If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

-You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
-You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
-You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote: If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship
So then I guess it would depend on whether he was recruited by his original school

On edit: it would seem he was...http://news.harker.org/harker-seniors-f ... versities/
Last edited by gerryb323 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Yes, transfer down does not require sitting out a year. Transfer up generally does
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

gerryb323 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Yes, transfer down does not require sitting out a year. Transfer up generally does
Clear as mud, but I believe this rule says you can do it. From the horse's mouth (NCAA): https://www.athleticscholarships.net/nc ... ptions.htm
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Clear as mud, but I believe this rule says you can do it. From the horse's mouth (NCAA): https://www.athleticscholarships.net/nc ... ptions.htm
The part I quoted above is directly from the NCAA website. I'm not sure which part of what you linked makes you think he's immediately eligible
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

"If transferring to a Division I school, the athlete must play a sport other than football, men’s or women’s basketball, or baseball. The exception is that an athlete can transfers to a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS or I-AA) school and use this exception provided he or she has at least two seasons of competition remaining. In Division II, any sport may use the one-time transfer exception."

The last sentence means to me that they can transfer FROM a DII (in this case) to a D1 with a one-time exemption. Again, my interpretation, as it is written it is as clear as mud.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter wrote:
"If transferring to a Division I school, the athlete must play a sport other than football, men’s or women’s basketball, or baseball. The exception is that an athlete can transfers to a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS or I-AA) school and use this exception provided he or she has at least two seasons of competition remaining. In Division II, any sport may use the one-time transfer exception."

The last sentence means to me that they can transfer FROM a DII (in this case) to a D1 with a one-time exemption. Again, my interpretation, as it is written it is as clear as mud.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

gerryb323 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

We are not FCS, as much as the P5 would like to think of us that way
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Look, I'd love for him to be able to play right away. I think he should be able to! I just read the rules and interpret. If he can find a way to show he should be eligible immediately, good on him.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Sigh. If we didn't recruit him and he wasn't on scholarship (DIII so wasn't) he's eligible
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:Sigh. If we didn't recruit him and he wasn't on scholarship (DIII so wasn't) he's eligible
"If you were not recruited by your original school"
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

On the plus side, he can red shirt the year he sits out.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

gerryb323 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:Does anyone know of what is happening with Ryan Boyle, the Iowa QB grad transfer with two years of eligibility remaining? Have seen nothing of him going anywhere.
There has been no news that I could find. Would need someone with inside info on visits
His Twitter profile lists him as "Indiana State QB". Also just found this: https://allhawkeyes.com/pages/story/details/2582
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:Sigh. If we didn't recruit him and he wasn't on scholarship (DIII so wasn't) he's eligible
"If you were not recruited by your original school"
It's DIII
#cousins don't count