Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:41 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20519
Location: North Kenner
Travon King announced his decommittment from Rutgers today

Image

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:14 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5342
One other point, I haven't noticed mentioned much. Tulane's Early Decision push now fills up most (if not virtually all) of the incoming frosh class with students with highest ever average "rankings" and much better yields than the previous application systems. Tulane made this emphasis to stop the "safety school" applicants simply using Tulane as a reasonable fallback to attend if primary choices do not work out.

Seems like this reflects what happened in football this year with December signing date.

Perhaps like Saban and Alabama which dislike the new football system, Harvard and the Ivy Leagues dislike the Tulanes eliminating a secondary academic recruiting pool for them?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:22 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:57 pm
Posts: 10488
Location: Chicago
read that re: King that Rutgers is out ad Temple is the favorite.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:30 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2355
Yankeewave wrote:
read that re: King that Rutgers is out ad Temple is the favorite.


Did he not watch the basketball game the other day?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:32 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:57 pm
Posts: 10488
Location: Chicago
PoBoys beat cheesesteaks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:19 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:54 pm
Posts: 668
Location: neworleans
Right now I think a good PK would be the most important player left on our board.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:05 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24604
Location: New Orleans
QB, ILB, DE, BPA, then a kicker if you're convinced the guy will be a big upgrade this year. We have three spots & shouldn't reach for anything.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:02 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:54 pm
Posts: 2610
long green wrote:
QB, ILB, DE, BPA, then a kicker if you're convinced the guy will be a big upgrade this year. We have three spots & shouldn't reach for anything.


Exactly. I think if the staff had their choice, we'd finish with Scott, Merritt and King. That would help in two ways: it would create a little more balance in the scholarship distribution so we don't have so many freshmen, and it would get us 2 mature players and a player with a ton of upside/ability. If we can't find 3 difference makers, we should hold on to the scholarships and/or give them to walk-ons for the Spring semester.

_________________
This one belongs to the Wave.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:01 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2441
It appears we are still recruiting Griffin and Willis. I wonder if we will host any visitors in the weekends leading up to the late signing date. There are a lot of excellent players out there - recruiting never ends.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:06 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24604
Location: New Orleans
http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... bile_index

Jimmy Smith article about our stretch run for this class. Hiring McCleskey went over well with Smith.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:31 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6453
Location: Dripping Springs
Quote:
Tulane did a swell job in filling many of their needs ...


Great job of writing there - swell?? Good article but when was the last time you saw 'swell' in print unless it was in an offshore 'seas' report.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:28 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3380
Location: Marietta, GA
Griffin looks to be a Smart-type of DL. Has GREAT feet. He won't be able to bull his way over college OL, but he has the quick feet to move into gaps. He would be a great get.

Willis looks like a football player. As a TE, his film doesn't show a lot of 8 yard passes between the hashes and contact after the catch. That's what I'd like to see in a TE, but any big guy with 60 receptions and can block is in WF's wheelhouse.

King is one of those guys that we really need, but the odds of getting a kid from NJ, after they have an offer from a Temple, are slim. But let's hope he understands we need LBs and he could get some early playing time. He would be a bonus.

Scott is the real X Factor. If he is as good as you local guys say he is, he could be a game-changer for Tulane. I guess we'll know soon, but I just don't like the vibes I get from his waiting. I know it seems prudent, but with his recent experience, you would think he would realize that going to where you are wanted/needed would transcend any johnny-come-lately. I have to believe it is because of two factors: Banks being the established starter and the fact that Fritz has not had a pass-heavy offense in several years. We all know we can pass out of it, but nobody aged 19 has seen it.

Let's hope we get what we want.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:46 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24604
Location: New Orleans
Any of those four mentioned are takes. If Willis wanted in we'd have the option of trying Tyrick James at DE.

King is a pass rusher at the next level. He's not a Marbley/Harris type of LB.

Griffin reminds me of a rich man's Justin Adams. That's not a bad thing, either. He also reminds me of those old school college nose guards, all quickness and leverage. Tanzel had a much larger frame than Griffin. As a freshman, Tanzel weighed 60 or 70 pounds more than Griffin does now.

I wouldn't take Smith's article as gospel. There are probably several good candidates for those spots that weren't mentioned. No smart staff would confide fully in a reporter on this subject.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:49 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 am
Posts: 456
long green wrote:
Any of those four mentioned are takes. If Willis wanted in we'd have the option of trying Tyrick James at DE.

King is a pass rusher at the next level. He's not a Marbley/Harris type of LB.

Griffin reminds me of a rich man's Justin Adams. That's not a bad thing, either. He also reminds me of those old school college nose guards, all quickness and leverage. Tanzel had a much larger frame than Griffin. As a freshman, Tanzel weighed 60 or 70 pounds more than Griffin does now.

I wouldn't take Smith's article as gospel. There are probably several good candidates for those spots that weren't mentioned. No smart staff would confide fully in a reporter on this subject.


Did you check your pm


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:41 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2441
What about the LB out of St. Thomas Acquinas that Smith mentioned? Any thoughts on him?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:28 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6453
Location: Dripping Springs
TU offers 3* QB Riley Smith -

https://twitter.com/rileysmith_9/status/950871966730412032

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4006368/riley-smith

He just runs over people -

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/926822016820305920


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:01 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20519
Location: North Kenner
sr wrote:

According to ftw he's a top 40 prospect for c/o 2018.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:23 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6453
Location: Dripping Springs
waverider wrote:
sr wrote:

According to ftw he's a top 40 prospect for c/o 2018.

Looks like his HS was State 7A runner-up in Florida.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:30 am 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Posts: 243
Location: River Ridge
A little surprising Riley Smith has no P5 offers based on his size and skill set. His stats don't light the world on fire but do seem pretty efficient.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:39 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2082
Location: Baton Rouge
Saintgreenie wrote:
A little surprising Riley Smith has no P5 offers based on his size and skill set. His stats don't light the world on fire but do seem pretty efficient.
sr wrote:
waverider wrote:
sr wrote:

According to ftw he's a top 40 prospect for c/o 2018.

Looks like his HS was State 7A runner-up in Florida.


As some-one pointed out on the Tula board, Smith shared playing time with an Auburn 4 star prospect. Upon furhter inspection the Auburn recruit, ( https://auburn.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Commits?site_segment_1=college&site_segment_2=arkansas ) is actually Auburn highest rated recruit. The fact that he got to split time with such a big recruit says a lot IMO. If we get him and Scott then we should be set at QB for a while.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Last edited by Poseidon on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:56 am 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Posts: 243
Location: River Ridge
I was suspecting something like a time share based on how relatively little he was used for a 2 year "starter."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:00 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19804
Location: New Orleans
definitely in the Banks mold.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:31 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:35 am
Posts: 2325
Poseidon wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
A little surprising Riley Smith has no P5 offers based on his size and skill set. His stats don't light the world on fire but do seem pretty efficient.
sr wrote:
waverider wrote:
sr wrote:

According to ftw he's a top 40 prospect for c/o 2018.

Looks like his HS was State 7A runner-up in Florida.


As some-one pointed out on the Tula board, Smith shared playing time with an Auburn 4 star prospect. Upon furhter inspection the Auburn recruit, ( https://auburn.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Commits?site_segment_1=college&site_segment_2=arkansas ) is actually Auburn highest rated recruit. The fact that he got to split time with such a big recruit says a lot IMO. If we get him and Scott then we should be set at QB for a while.


ok i'm confused,(not hard to do) but according to the recruiting sites Smith is a pro-style QB. So how does this equate to CWF's offense?

_________________
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:42 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2082
Location: Baton Rouge
djh wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
A little surprising Riley Smith has no P5 offers based on his size and skill set. His stats don't light the world on fire but do seem pretty efficient.
sr wrote:
waverider wrote:
sr wrote:

According to ftw he's a top 40 prospect for c/o 2018.

Looks like his HS was State 7A runner-up in Florida.


As some-one pointed out on the Tula board, Smith shared playing time with an Auburn 4 star prospect. Upon furhter inspection the Auburn recruit, ( https://auburn.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Commits?site_segment_1=college&site_segment_2=arkansas ) is actually Auburn highest rated recruit. The fact that he got to split time with such a big recruit says a lot IMO. If we get him and Scott then we should be set at QB for a while.


ok i'm confused,(not hard to do) but according to the recruiting sites Smith is a pro-style QB. So how does this equate to CWF's offense?


1) CWF plans on throwing it more.
1a) The kid runs well enough to be a run threat.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:29 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2441
Poseidon wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
A little surprising Riley Smith has no P5 offers based on his size and skill set. His stats don't light the world on fire but do seem pretty efficient.
sr wrote:
waverider wrote:
sr wrote:

According to ftw he's a top 40 prospect for c/o 2018.

Looks like his HS was State 7A runner-up in Florida.


As some-one pointed out on the Tula board, Smith shared playing time with an Auburn 4 star prospect. Upon furhter inspection the Auburn recruit, ( https://auburn.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Commits?site_segment_1=college&site_segment_2=arkansas ) is actually Auburn highest rated recruit. The fact that he got to split time with such a big recruit says a lot IMO. If we get him and Scott then we should be set at QB for a while.


Until the next round of QB transfers.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group