Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:47 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24820
Location: New Orleans
New offer to West Feliciana RB/ATH Davon Harris. Short but very explosive. 3A All-State last year.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:20 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Posts: 257
Location: River Ridge
sr wrote:
NOLA.com came out with a list of the 2018 Louisiana HS kids Tulane offered/interested in ...
http://s.nola.com/Qu1OjJk

4 kids from Evangel

Ah, Jimmy Smith...

*Rants about Tulane not recruiting in state*
*2 weeks later, posts extensive list of in state offers*


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:25 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Posts: 257
Location: River Ridge
sr wrote:
NOLA.com came out with a list of the 2018 Louisiana HS kids Tulane offered/interested in ...
http://s.nola.com/Qu1OjJk

4 kids from Evangel


Also, only 3 from Evangel. Slade Bolden plays for West Monroe.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Slade-Bolden-91263/RecruitInterests

Would be a great get.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:51 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24820
Location: New Orleans
We offered De la Salle DB Lance Robinson over the weekend. At least one other 1-a offer for him at this time.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:02 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 21038
Location: North Kenner
We just offered another kid on the heels of a Kansas offer. I never thought we'd be battling Kansas for so many local kids (we all know why) and if they weren't in a P5 conference, probably wouldn't be much of a battle in terms of what the schools and city/state they're located in have to offer.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:54 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20358
Location: Chicago
waverider wrote:
We just offered another kid on the heels of a Kansas offer. I never thought we'd be battling Kansas for so many local kids (we all know why) and if they weren't in a P5 conference, probably wouldn't be much of a battle in terms of what the schools and city/state they're located in have to offer.


KU girls are in the upper echelon of talent based on my experience

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:15 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 21038
Location: North Kenner
windywave wrote:
waverider wrote:
We just offered another kid on the heels of a Kansas offer. I never thought we'd be battling Kansas for so many local kids (we all know why) and if they weren't in a P5 conference, probably wouldn't be much of a battle in terms of what the schools and city/state they're located in have to offer.


KU girls are in the upper echelon of talent based on my experience

Now that you mention it, there have been a lot of KU girls featured on the internet. So I've been told :angel:

To quote a former Tulane FB assistant coach regarding the recruiting battle: "I can beat other coaches but pu**y is undefeated".

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:54 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20574
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Waverider just made my weekend. And that quote is now immortalized in a sticky thread that will be here a long time...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:35 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2822
I 2nd that endorsement.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:47 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4531
Location: Wichita
My wife is a KU grad :)

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:58 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20358
Location: Chicago
gerryb323 wrote:
My wife is a KU grad :)


You out kicked your coverage

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:09 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 3210
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
My wife is a KU grad :)


You out kicked your coverage

I think most of us on the forum did

_________________
Tulane BSCE & Army ROTC class of 2004


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:46 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20358
Location: Chicago
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
My wife is a KU grad :)


You out kicked your coverage

I think most of us on the forum did


Valid point

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:38 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24820
Location: New Orleans
We have several visitors in this weekend. Here are a few, according to Jimmy Smith:

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... bile_index

We also had a DL from St James in during the week. Good player, good student, bit of a tweener as to position.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:28 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:18 am
Posts: 18126
Location: Beautiful Dutchtown
I really like the recruiting direction the staff is taking this year.

_________________
A refreshing culture of standards, expectations and accountability is upon us.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:03 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6966
Location: Dripping Springs
long green wrote:
We have several visitors in this weekend. Here are a few, according to Jimmy Smith:

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... bile_index

We also had a DL from St James in during the week. Good player, good student, bit of a tweener as to position.


The QB coming in is a 2019 recruit from St. Pius in Houston. At 6'6" I wouldn't think he be an option type quarterback. One other '19 kid is Jordan Whittington from Cuero, TX and plays at DB/WR and considered 4 stars at this time. Guess we should start a 2019 Football Recruiting topic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:53 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20114
Location: New Orleans
I like that the Staff seems to have realized that the talent level in the AAC requires a level of recruit that they just weren't bringing in before.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:15 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 21038
Location: North Kenner
sr wrote:
Guess we should start a 2019 Football Recruiting topic.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=47524

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:34 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9994
GreenieBacker wrote:
I like that the Staff seems to have realized that the talent level in the AAC requires a level of recruit that they just weren't bringing in before.

You'd think that they'd just recruit the best players they can get rather than targeting those deemed sufficient for the perceived level of the conference. Maybe when we play Oklahoma and Ohio State, they'll try to bump recruiting up another notch or two.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:05 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:05 pm
Posts: 1381
Location: Naples, FL
That's what I would expect, but there is also a tradeoff with the likelihood of successfully recruiting 5* guys. So the coaches need to judge how good will this player be in our system as well as can we land him?

_________________
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:34 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20358
Location: Chicago
ml wave wrote:
Maybe when we play Oklahoma and Ohio State, they'll try to bump recruiting up another notch or two.


Didn't you mean beat?

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:37 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9994
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Maybe when we play Oklahoma and Ohio State, they'll try to bump recruiting up another notch or two.


Didn't you mean beat?

The potential outcome of those games doesn't have anything to do with the point made.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:05 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20358
Location: Chicago
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Maybe when we play Oklahoma and Ohio State, they'll try to bump recruiting up another notch or two.


Didn't you mean beat?

The potential outcome of those games doesn't have anything to do with the point made.


But you need to be sending positive vibes Moriarty

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2822
Do we have any 2018 commits to date? Does the early signing period come into play this year?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:05 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:18 am
Posts: 18126
Location: Beautiful Dutchtown
ml wave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
I like that the Staff seems to have realized that the talent level in the AAC requires a level of recruit that they just weren't bringing in before.

You'd think that they'd just recruit the best players they can get rather than targeting those deemed sufficient for the perceived level of the conference. Maybe when we play Oklahoma and Ohio State, they'll try to bump recruiting up another notch or two.

I agree with you that it doesn't make sense not to recruit the best player you can.
Yet I think Backer's right that that is what we were doing a year ago...recruiting players that just weren't good enough.
Now I don't know why except that perhaps the coach didn't think we could get better players ....and after seeing the AAC he decided that he at least better try.

_________________
A refreshing culture of standards, expectations and accountability is upon us.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group