2018 Football Recruiting

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: 2018 Football Recruiting

Unread post by waverider »

Travon King announced his decommittment from Rutgers today

Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

One other point, I haven't noticed mentioned much. Tulane's Early Decision push now fills up most (if not virtually all) of the incoming frosh class with students with highest ever average "rankings" and much better yields than the previous application systems. Tulane made this emphasis to stop the "safety school" applicants simply using Tulane as a reasonable fallback to attend if primary choices do not work out.

Seems like this reflects what happened in football this year with December signing date.

Perhaps like Saban and Alabama which dislike the new football system, Harvard and the Ivy Leagues dislike the Tulanes eliminating a secondary academic recruiting pool for them?
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

read that re: King that Rutgers is out ad Temple is the favorite.
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

Yankeewave wrote:read that re: King that Rutgers is out ad Temple is the favorite.
Did he not watch the basketball game the other day?
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

PoBoys beat cheesesteaks.
G-wave
Navigator Level

Unread post by G-wave »

Right now I think a good PK would be the most important player left on our board.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

QB, ILB, DE, BPA, then a kicker if you're convinced the guy will be a big upgrade this year. We have three spots & shouldn't reach for anything.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

long green wrote:QB, ILB, DE, BPA, then a kicker if you're convinced the guy will be a big upgrade this year. We have three spots & shouldn't reach for anything.
Exactly. I think if the staff had their choice, we'd finish with Scott, Merritt and King. That would help in two ways: it would create a little more balance in the scholarship distribution so we don't have so many freshmen, and it would get us 2 mature players and a player with a ton of upside/ability. If we can't find 3 difference makers, we should hold on to the scholarships and/or give them to walk-ons for the Spring semester.
This one belongs to the Wave.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

It appears we are still recruiting Griffin and Willis. I wonder if we will host any visitors in the weekends leading up to the late signing date. There are a lot of excellent players out there - recruiting never ends.
long green
Cornerstone

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... bile_index

Jimmy Smith article about our stretch run for this class. Hiring McCleskey went over well with Smith.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Tulane did a swell job in filling many of their needs ...
Great job of writing there - swell?? Good article but when was the last time you saw 'swell' in print unless it was in an offshore 'seas' report.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Griffin looks to be a Smart-type of DL. Has GREAT feet. He won't be able to bull his way over college OL, but he has the quick feet to move into gaps. He would be a great get.

Willis looks like a football player. As a TE, his film doesn't show a lot of 8 yard passes between the hashes and contact after the catch. That's what I'd like to see in a TE, but any big guy with 60 receptions and can block is in WF's wheelhouse.

King is one of those guys that we really need, but the odds of getting a kid from NJ, after they have an offer from a Temple, are slim. But let's hope he understands we need LBs and he could get some early playing time. He would be a bonus.

Scott is the real X Factor. If he is as good as you local guys say he is, he could be a game-changer for Tulane. I guess we'll know soon, but I just don't like the vibes I get from his waiting. I know it seems prudent, but with his recent experience, you would think he would realize that going to where you are wanted/needed would transcend any johnny-come-lately. I have to believe it is because of two factors: Banks being the established starter and the fact that Fritz has not had a pass-heavy offense in several years. We all know we can pass out of it, but nobody aged 19 has seen it.

Let's hope we get what we want.
Plan your work, work your plan.
long green
Cornerstone

Any of those four mentioned are takes. If Willis wanted in we'd have the option of trying Tyrick James at DE.

King is a pass rusher at the next level. He's not a Marbley/Harris type of LB.

Griffin reminds me of a rich man's Justin Adams. That's not a bad thing, either. He also reminds me of those old school college nose guards, all quickness and leverage. Tanzel had a much larger frame than Griffin. As a freshman, Tanzel weighed 60 or 70 pounds more than Griffin does now.

I wouldn't take Smith's article as gospel. There are probably several good candidates for those spots that weren't mentioned. No smart staff would confide fully in a reporter on this subject.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Unread post by Tulane49 »

long green wrote:Any of those four mentioned are takes. If Willis wanted in we'd have the option of trying Tyrick James at DE.

King is a pass rusher at the next level. He's not a Marbley/Harris type of LB.

Griffin reminds me of a rich man's Justin Adams. That's not a bad thing, either. He also reminds me of those old school college nose guards, all quickness and leverage. Tanzel had a much larger frame than Griffin. As a freshman, Tanzel weighed 60 or 70 pounds more than Griffin does now.

I wouldn't take Smith's article as gospel. There are probably several good candidates for those spots that weren't mentioned. No smart staff would confide fully in a reporter on this subject.
Did you check your pm
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

What about the LB out of St. Thomas Acquinas that Smith mentioned? Any thoughts on him?
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

According to ftw he's a top 40 prospect for c/o 2018.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

waverider wrote:
Looks like his HS was State 7A runner-up in Florida.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Unread post by Saintgreenie »

A little surprising Riley Smith has no P5 offers based on his size and skill set. His stats don't light the world on fire but do seem pretty efficient.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

Saintgreenie wrote:A little surprising Riley Smith has no P5 offers based on his size and skill set. His stats don't light the world on fire but do seem pretty efficient.
sr wrote:
waverider wrote:
As some-one pointed out on the Tula board, Smith shared playing time with an Auburn 4 star prospect. Upon furhter inspection the Auburn recruit, ( https://auburn.247sports.com/Season/201 ... 2=arkansas ) is actually Auburn highest rated recruit. The fact that he got to split time with such a big recruit says a lot IMO. If we get him and Scott then we should be set at QB for a while.
Last edited by Poseidon on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Unread post by Saintgreenie »

I was suspecting something like a time share based on how relatively little he was used for a 2 year "starter."
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

definitely in the Banks mold.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
djh
Coach Level

Unread post by djh »

Poseidon wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:A little surprising Riley Smith has no P5 offers based on his size and skill set. His stats don't light the world on fire but do seem pretty efficient.
sr wrote:
waverider wrote:
As some-one pointed out on the Tula board, Smith shared playing time with an Auburn 4 star prospect. Upon furhter inspection the Auburn recruit, ( https://auburn.247sports.com/Season/201 ... 2=arkansas ) is actually Auburn highest rated recruit. The fact that he got to split time with such a big recruit says a lot IMO. If we get him and Scott then we should be set at QB for a while.
ok i'm confused,(not hard to do) but according to the recruiting sites Smith is a pro-style QB. So how does this equate to CWF's offense?
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

djh wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
sr wrote:
waverider wrote:
ok i'm confused,(not hard to do) but according to the recruiting sites Smith is a pro-style QB. So how does this equate to CWF's offense?
1) CWF plans on throwing it more.
1a) The kid runs well enough to be a run threat.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Poseidon wrote:
sr wrote:
waverider wrote:
Until the next round of QB transfers.