Matthew Lombardi - looks like a new OL commit

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
sr
Regent's Circle

Matthew Lombardi - looks like a new OL commit

Post by sr »

long green
Cornerstone

Re: Matthew Lombardi - looks like a new OL commit

Post by long green »

I've been expecting to see his name for a while. He visited weeks ago and the coaches have his folks on follow on Twitter.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Great to see a big OL guy from PA commit to the Wave. Gets Tulane's name out in the area.

GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Had an Arizona State offer.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

St. Joseph’s Prep is a Jesuit prep school right in downtown Philadelphia. It’s known both for its academics and its sports. Most of its grads go on to top academic schools. Most of his offers other than ASU were from day trip schools, so he is a kindred spirit going away to New Orleans. Matthew looks like a perfect fit for Tulane because he’s used to the academic expectations, his head won’t get turned by a city environment, and you can’t teach size. 8)
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

But at his size, there is a reason he got no offers from Pitt, Penn St, and numerous other “football” schools in the area. Based on who recruited him, the first thought is project. And as go through each one of these recruiting cycles, we are signing too many high school OL that are projects. Without the transfers, we would be in terrible shape. For whatever reasons, our OL recruiting has not been good at all under WF.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Valid points. As WF and his staff get incrementally better each cycle, and since it does seem to be more difficult than most positions for us to get the game changing OL recruit, they must see something.

Too bad we cut off the windy conduit to the Midwest. 8)
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Are memories that short around here - John Leglue 6'7" 310 played all over the O line and did some deep snapping. Still hanging with the Broncos.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Just bc penn state isn’t recruiting him doesnt mean he isnt good. Same thing with pitt

All the midwestern lineman now...poor Windy
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Philadelphia?!
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Close enough
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

tjtlja wrote:But at his size, there is a reason he got no offers from Pitt, Penn St, and numerous other “football” schools in the area. Based on who recruited him, the first thought is project. And as go through each one of these recruiting cycles, we are signing too many high school OL that are projects. Without the transfers, we would be in terrible shape. For whatever reasons, our OL recruiting has not been good at all under WF.
And we're going to continue to take a lot of OL projects because non-projects are rare at our recruiting level and because OL are really hard to project and success in that area is more dependent on a coach's eye for talent than the number of stars. . WE have to build a redshirt OL and that takes several years to get in motion. We haven't recruited that many OL under Fritz, and most are in the rotation.
I'll also note that many of the highest rated OL we've signed over the years flamed out. Under Fritz it was Swann (long gone) and then Jason Stewart and Santa Marina (Alabama offer) barely played at all.
The new offense should help, just as it should help QB and WR recruiting.

I count 9 WF OL recruits through 2018: Woodard and Swann left; Briggs was a JC who played and is finished; Jackel, Johnson, Claybrook, Dublin are starting or in top of rotation; Remondet redshirted and I believe he'll be in the rotation; Lewerenz redshirted and not sure of his status. They may not be great, but it's early, and we've had a pretty good keeper %. I may have missed a couple, but still I don't it's been dire.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

That’s a great post, GSx, and fun to read and think about. You omitted mentioning Nik Hogan and interestingly, it was Lewerenz who got on the field briefly last year. Another thing you don’t mention is that recruiting OL’s has been complicated by the fact that we’ve lost more than one OL commit on average in Fritz’ four classes. That’s just one reason why we’ve brought in six non-HS signees in that one position group starting with Fritz second class. Briggs, Knighton, Fisher, Montano, Knutson, and Oldner, fyi. If the freshmen OL’s - first and second year - show enough this season maybe we can get off that merry go round.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Yea I had in my mind that Nik Hogan had moved to DT for some reason; I should have checked him out. And he had some SEC offers. And I omitted the post-signing date transfers.
Thanks for the clarifications, Long.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

GSx wrote:
tjtlja wrote:But at his size, there is a reason he got no offers from Pitt, Penn St, and numerous other “football” schools in the area. Based on who recruited him, the first thought is project. And as go through each one of these recruiting cycles, we are signing too many high school OL that are projects. Without the transfers, we would be in terrible shape. For whatever reasons, our OL recruiting has not been good at all under WF.
And we're going to continue to take a lot of OL projects because non-projects are rare at our recruiting level and because OL are really hard to project and success in that area is more dependent on a coach's eye for talent than the number of stars. . WE have to build a redshirt OL and that takes several years to get in motion. We haven't recruited that many OL under Fritz, and most are in the rotation.
I'll also note that many of the highest rated OL we've signed over the years flamed out. Under Fritz it was Swann (long gone) and then Jason Stewart and Santa Marina (Alabama offer) barely played at all.
The new offense should help, just as it should help QB and WR recruiting.

I count 9 WF OL recruits through 2018: Woodard and Swann left; Briggs was a JC who played and is finished; Jackel, Johnson, Claybrook, Dublin are starting or in top of rotation; Remondet redshirted and I believe he'll be in the rotation; Lewerenz redshirted and not sure of his status. They may not be great, but it's early, and we've had a pretty good keeper %. I may have missed a couple, but still I don't it's been dire.
Some very good points. Hope Haynesworth, Fort, Thomas, Ogeron, and Oldner can really add something to the mix. Coach WF said recently we have 8-9 D1 guys on the OL. Just hope that number keeps growing.