Fall Baseball Recruiting Signees

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
FW
Cornerstone

Re: Fall Baseball Recruiting Signees

Unread post by FW »

We're not the only school that does this, but it's disturbing when it's done to athletes (yes, I know how that sounds). My brother goes to NYU (he's 19 yrs younger than me) and this summer he wanted to take a calculus class at Miami. NYU said no. NYU is ranked 36 and Miami 44. We're not talking Harvard and SW Texas Teachers College here.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

BACONWAVE wrote:
ml wave wrote:
ThePig wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TU23 wrote:This is the most frustrating problem. In all of my convos with Rick Jones, this is the issue that p!ssed him off the most....why can't we give a kid an admission decision within hours or at worst a couple of days? Dannen has been pressuring Gibson Hall on this, but this is a Cowen problem that has continued under Fitts. As president, you go to admissions and tell them "I don't give AF what you are doing, you get them an admissions decision within 48 hours or we're going to find someone who will."

The admissions department at Tulane has been and continues to be something that holds us back. Even if we can't admit a kid...TELL US so we can move on! Don't beat around the bush for months and then let us know at the 11th hour. The same thing happened to me but we found a way around it because I really wanted to go to Tulane because it was my favorite school. My uncle played at Tulane and I was a 5th generation student. I wasn't a great player or a difference maker, but I was willing to come to Tulane and it wouldn't have cost the team a scholarship and I turned down scholarships from a bunch of other schools (Notre Dame, Northwestern (Ill.), Navy, UNO, Southeastern, ULL) and several preferred walk on offers (LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss). How can I get into Notre Dame and Northwestern and not get into Tulane as a 5th generation legacy who is coming to play baseball for free???? And why couldn't I get in? My class rank wasn't high enough at Jesuit (despite a GPA over 3.2) and they had my sister's ACT score from 7th grade, not my real one. True story.

Schloss could not have been better to me. He and Coach Jones worked with the admissions department along with several other people to rectify the problem. The admissions department still wouldn't admit me after finding my real ACT score. It was late April and all of the scholarships I had turned down were now gone with the exception of Southeastern. After much back and forth, Tulane settled on admitting me to the University College for a semester, and they made me go to Summer School before I could enroll in the Fall. At an alumni barbecue, Cowen sought me out and said "I've heard a lot about you" with a smug grin. I wanted to punch him. It all worked out, but it still ticks me off thinking about it.
Surprised all of Jewett's "private school recruiting experience" didn't help him here...
I don't believe that Vandy baseball recruits many , if any JC players. It doesn't need to. It gets good enough freshman to never need to recruit JC players.
Hmmm, you don't say...
What does recruiting have to do with Admissions? If you can find great players it isn't a coaches fault if admissions are stupid. I am sure Jewett has guidelines but until you get actual transcripts there ain't much you can do. It does seem he has recruited pretty dang well so far since given a chance.
It's got everything to do with it...no point in recruiting them if you can't get them into school.
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

Exactly. Vandy, Rice and Stanford have a system in place that allows for an admissions decision almost immediately. That way they don't expend resources recruiting kids who they can never admit. Every scholarship dollar you earmark for one kid is a dollar you can't promise to another. If the other schools can do it, why can't Fitts help us get this done?
This one belongs to the Wave.
ThePig
Riptide Level

Unread post by ThePig »

Have we lost anyone else besides Barrett and Calhoun?
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Unread post by Tulane49 »

ThePig wrote:Have we lost anyone else besides Barrett and Calhoun?
Caden Doga but he didn't have the grades
ThePig
Riptide Level

Unread post by ThePig »

Tulane49 wrote:
That means that we probably lost two of our three best hitting JC transfers. That does not bode well for next season.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

Tulane49 wrote:
I knew we'd have trouble getting him into school. I saw long ago on perfect game that his High school GPA was 2.8
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

I noticed that the updated Tulane baseball roster online for fall 2017 has risen from 19 to 20 names as of today or the last couple of days anyway. Chase Solesky is listed now, and I could have sworn he had disappeared after announcing he would transfer. Wonder if anything good is up with his name reappearing.
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Unread post by CletusRelm »

Having Chase back would be a plus! :-D
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

the link to his late June tweet saying he would transfer is now kaput as well; link gives you a "this page does not exist"
Tulane49
Navigator Level

randymc wrote:I noticed that the updated Tulane baseball roster online for fall 2017 has risen from 19 to 20 names as of today or the last couple of days anyway. Chase Solesky is listed now, and I could have sworn he had disappeared after announcing he would transfer. Wonder if anything good is up with his name reappearing.
Chase is back
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Tulane49 wrote:
randymc wrote:I noticed that the updated Tulane baseball roster online for fall 2017 has risen from 19 to 20 names as of today or the last couple of days anyway. Chase Solesky is listed now, and I could have sworn he had disappeared after announcing he would transfer. Wonder if anything good is up with his name reappearing.
Chase is back
Must have found some money for him with the recent bad news on jucos
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
visualmagic
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:I am starting a different thread based on kids who have indicated they have signed and will update it as I get more information. The players who have indicated they have signed are as follows -

1. Haiden Onorato - high school LHP, Alpharetta, GA; National Top 500; ranked 84th in state and 12th at position
2. David Bedgood - high school infielder, Sherman, TX; Recruited by Dallas Baptist, Rice, Duke; National Top 1,000; ranked 153 in state and 29th at position
3. Frankie Niemann - high school catcher, Sanford, FL; National Top 500; 128 in state and 14 at position
4. Forrest Webber - high school RHP, Huntsville, Al; National Top 1,000; 95 in state and 43 at position
5. Caden Doga - JUCO OF, Hutchinson Community College, Kansas; ranked 27 in Perfect Games Top 50 JUCO prospects
6. Ryan Calhoun - JUCO Inf/C, Harford Community College, Maryland - BC, Maryland, West Virginia
7. Marc Theberge - h.s. SS, Jesuit High School, N.O.
8. Josh Bates - h.s. RHP, Orlando, Fl; National Top 500; 207 in state, 73 at position
9. Trent Johnson - JUCO RHP, John A. Logan, Illinois - originally signed with Arizona; drafted in 16th round by Mets
10. Brendan Cellucci - h.s. LHP, Wyncote, PA; National Top 500; 15th in state and #1 at his position; recruited by Miami, FL
11. Stephen Sepcich - h.s. OF, Jesuit High School, N.O.; National Top 500; 14 in state and 6 at position; interest from Wake Forest, Virginia, Stanford, Yale, Harvard
12. Braedon Barrett - JUCO Infielder; played at Barbe High School; switch hitter, signed with Northwestern State and transferred to Hinds Community College
13. Jake Revere - h.s. catcher, Friendswood, TX; National Top 1,000; 242 in state, 35 at position
14. Acy Owen - JUCO Catcher - Hinds Community College; was ranked 2nd at his position in state of Mississippi in 2015
15. Will McAffer - JUCO RHP - signed with South Dakota State and played for Central Arizona Community College; drafted in 32nd round by the Reds out of high school in British Columbia
16. Will Mangurian - h.s. 1B/LHP, Alpharetta, GA; National Top 1,000; ranked 150 in state and 8 at position (1B)
17. Justin Campbell - h.s. LHP/1B, Michigan; 11th ranked player in state and 2nd at his position (LHP); National Top 500
18. Alston Pough - h.s. RHP, Paramus, N.J.; National Top 1,000; 66 in state, 27 at position; interest in Wake Forest, Florida Int'l, North Carolina, Miami, Stanford
19. Marshall Rosenberg - h.s. 2B, Houston - National Top 500 player; 69 in state, 18 at position; interest in Baylor, Rice, Sam Houston, Vandy, Texas A&M, Ole Miss
20. Andrew Gorham - h.s. OF, Massachusetts - National Top 1,000 player; 40 in state, 9 at position
21. Tony Ortiz - Arkansas State/Pacific NW JC? - 1B/LHP
Just wanted to take a look back at all the guys that we had committed but for whatever reason, be it inability to get credits transferred or maybe not enough scholarship money, never made it to campus.

Tony Ortiz ended up at Missouri. Hit .231, .276 OBP in 51 at-bats. Did not pitch.
Braedon Barrett ended up at ULM and hit .235 had a .379 OBP, 5 HRs, 11 doubles and 12-17 on Stolen bases.
Ryan Calhoun remained at Harford CC and did really well. .327 batting average .486 OBP and 16 HRs. He's now committed to Saint Louis University.
Caden Doga ended up at LSU-Alexandria and took a redshirt.
Hayden Onorato went to Delgado. Doesn't look like played at all.

Forrest Webber had Tommy John and I think he's expected to be at Tulane next year.
Andrew Gorham was on the roster in the fall and I assume he was cut.
Marshall Rosenberg, I cant find anything on him.

Based on the numbers listed here, we didn't miss out on too much. All the JUCO pitchers we signed made it to campus and pitching is really what we needed more of. None of these guys were helping wit that.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

from what I have heard no reason to miss or bemoan Onorato's departure.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Saw this on Twitter -- looks like a new recruit for 2019.

https://twitter.com/BaumgardtSimon/stat ... 48929?s=20
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

also Forrest Webber is back throwing and looks like he will be ready for the fall post-Tommy John surgery.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Who is from Chicago?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Trent Johnson
Tulane49
Navigator Level

randymc wrote:also Forrest Webber is back throwing and looks like he will be ready for the fall post-Tommy John surgery.
https://twitter.com/forrestwebber4/stat ... 00865?s=21
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Tulane49 wrote:
randymc wrote:also Forrest Webber is back throwing and looks like he will be ready for the fall post-Tommy John surgery.
https://twitter.com/forrestwebber4/stat ... 00865?s=21
First live AB’s since Tommy John

https://twitter.com/forrestwebber4/stat ... 41122?s=21
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Parker Haskin will be joining his brother Hudson next year

https://twitter.com/hudsonhaskin10/stat ... 60289?s=21
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

Fall 2019 signee just committed

Justin Campbell
6’7” RHP/1B, in the 90’s fastball.
Played USA baseball, posted picture of him with Jewett, Latham, and others..

Here’s what one person wrote:

Huge pull for @TUJewett and @TulaneBaseball. Campbell, the #16 player in the @PBR_California Class of 2019 rankings, has shown very well both with the bat and on the mound this summer. #ShapeTheState #BeSeen
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

noladave wrote:Fall 2019 signee just committed

Justin Campbell
6’7” RHP/1B, in the 90’s fastball.
Played USA baseball, posted picture of him with Jewett, Latham, and others..

Here’s what one person wrote:

Huge pull for @TUJewett and @TulaneBaseball. Campbell, the #16 player in the @PBR_California Class of 2019 rankings, has shown very well both with the bat and on the mound this summer. #ShapeTheState #BeSeen
Dang he is tall......if he doesn't work out for baseball Coach Mike may want him for some rebounding..... lol
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Just remembered that I was supposed to bump this thread :-D
visualmagic wrote:Apparently 23's expectation for next year is a Conference title.

I'll say mine is no postseason.

I plan on bumping this thread next year regardless of who is correct.
visualmagic wrote:
TU23 wrote:
G-wave wrote:Next years team will depend on these JC's all who have really good numbers to go along with a hand full of Fr on this years Team who have decent talent. Vet wise all we have coming back is Spoon and Massey who I hope can get it together in a Summer league. Don't know if Grant, France or Born will come back as 5th year SR. My question is who in the incoming FR. class can make an impact ? Was told we have 3 or 4 LHP's who could make a difference.
We have 4 or 5 good young freshmen pitchers coming in that can contribute next year(assuming we don't lose any to the draft):

Josh Bates: RHP 6'2 190 from Orlando, FL. Low 90s FB
Justin Campbell: LHP 6'6 200 from Troy, MI. High 80s FB...will be a monster in 2 years.
Brendan Cellucci: LHP 6'4 210 from Wyncote, PA. Touches low 90s. Good off-speed stuff for a hs kid.
Hayden Onorato: LHP 6'3 220 from Alpharetta, GA. Touches low 90s. Advanced approach for an 18 year old. Will contribute right away.
Alson Pough- RHP 6'2 175 from Paramus, NJ by way of IMG Academy in Florida. Needs to get bigger and stronger. Mid to high 80s FB. Good prospect.
Forrest Webber- RHP 5'10 180 from Huntsville, AL. Tough little SOB. Great control with 4 pitches. Mid to high 80s FB. A lot like Brandon Gomes with slightly less velo but better secondary stuff.

Jewett started behind the 8 ball because Pierce left so late in the process taking 2 of our recruits with him. We picked up whatever scraps we could, but there is going to be a significant amount of turnover on the pitching staff. A lot of competition for roster spots. I'd be shocked if the local kids from Jesuit, for instance, make the team this year. They will stay in school but not be on the official roster like Galy did last year.

Jewett's strength is and always has been recruiting. We're going to be okay. People need to give him some time and stop worrying about Andy Cannizaro. Andy walked into a great opportunity at MSU. I've known Andy since I was a kid and played with him and am confident in saying that Tulane was not a great fit for either side with him. MSU was perfect for him. Jewett is our guy. I'm confident in that.

We're getting exactly what we need...an influx of talented JUCOs with some good, young talent (better than what Pierce ever brought in with some exceptions i.e. Spoon). One thing about JUCOs that you've got to love....they live and breathe baseball. It's a difficult route to take. They play a ton of ball with no frills or benefits. We need that type of attitude going forward.

Pitching has been our achilles heel. Look at stats from last year to this year...hitting and fielding are pretty close to identical. Home runs are close to identical. Pitching is nowhere near where it was. We lost 5 or 6 guys with more than 10 appearances each (and didn't do much to replace them)....that will decimate your bullpen in a hurry. A guy like Gillies would have been a 5 inning guy in most years...this year he's making 20 appearances. We're going to be okay. This year sucked in a lot of spots, but it was a necessary re-set. Big Jew will get it going, I can promise you that.

Everyone loves their recruiting class right now. This time last year we all figured Brandon Fraley was going to come in and be a stud.

Pitching has been the problem and I think the pitching coach matters. Look at the track record of Dickinson, it's not good.

Fielding percentage may be nearly identical but the fielding has been nowhere near identical. Our two shortstops aren't on the same planet as Alemais. The same could be said about the catching position since the injury to Montalbano.

You say that the class is way better than what Pierce ever brought in, but the recruiting rankings don't reflect that.
Roper, Doga and Johnson look to be good but I'm not really impressed by the numbers of the rest of the JUCO guys. None of the JUCO guys are doing what Dehart did and he came in and couldn't crack the lineup for most of his junior year.
JUCO numbers can be deceiving, we all remember Mason Griffin and Conrad Flynn.
2 of the 6 (Pough and Onorato) pitchers you listed are no longer with the program.
Campbell and Cellucci combined for 4 innings pitched on a pitching staff that couldn't get anyone out.

I think my critics might owe me an apology on this one.