Fall Baseball Recruiting Signees

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Fall Baseball Recruiting Signees

Post by tjtlja »

I am starting a different thread based on kids who have indicated they have signed and will update it as I get more information. The players who have indicated they have signed are as follows -

1. Haiden Onorato - high school LHP, Alpharetta, GA; National Top 500; ranked 84th in state and 12th at position
2. David Bedgood - high school infielder, Sherman, TX; Recruited by Dallas Baptist, Rice, Duke; National Top 1,000; ranked 153 in state and 29th at position
3. Frankie Niemann - high school catcher, Sanford, FL; National Top 500; 128 in state and 14 at position
4. Forrest Webber - high school RHP, Huntsville, Al; National Top 1,000; 95 in state and 43 at position
5. Caden Doga - JUCO OF, Hutchinson Community College, Kansas; ranked 27 in Perfect Games Top 50 JUCO prospects
6. Ryan Calhoun - JUCO Inf/C, Harford Community College, Maryland - BC, Maryland, West Virginia
7. Marc Theberge - h.s. SS, Jesuit High School, N.O.
8. Josh Bates - h.s. RHP, Orlando, Fl; National Top 500; 207 in state, 73 at position
9. Trent Johnson - JUCO RHP, John A. Logan, Illinois - originally signed with Arizona; drafted in 16th round by Mets
10. Brendan Cellucci - h.s. LHP, Wyncote, PA; National Top 500; 15th in state and #1 at his position; recruited by Miami, FL
11. Stephen Sepcich - h.s. OF, Jesuit High School, N.O.; National Top 500; 14 in state and 6 at position; interest from Wake Forest, Virginia, Stanford, Yale, Harvard
12. Braedon Barrett - JUCO Infielder; played at Barbe High School; switch hitter, signed with Northwestern State and transferred to Hinds Community College
13. Jake Revere - h.s. catcher, Friendswood, TX; National Top 1,000; 242 in state, 35 at position
14. Acy Owen - JUCO Catcher - Hinds Community College; was ranked 2nd at his position in state of Mississippi in 2015
15. Will McAffer - JUCO RHP - signed with South Dakota State and played for Central Arizona Community College; drafted in 32nd round by the Reds out of high school in British Columbia
16. Will Mangurian - h.s. 1B/LHP, Alpharetta, GA; National Top 1,000; ranked 150 in state and 8 at position (1B)
17. Justin Campbell - h.s. LHP/1B, Michigan; 11th ranked player in state and 2nd at his position (LHP); National Top 500
18. Alston Pough - h.s. RHP, Paramus, N.J.; National Top 1,000; 66 in state, 27 at position; interest in Wake Forest, Florida Int'l, North Carolina, Miami, Stanford
19. Marshall Rosenberg - h.s. 2B, Houston - National Top 500 player; 69 in state, 18 at position; interest in Baylor, Rice, Sam Houston, Vandy, Texas A&M, Ole Miss
20. Andrew Gorham - h.s. OF, Massachusetts - National Top 1,000 player; 40 in state, 9 at position
21. Tony Ortiz - Arkansas State/Pacific NW JC? - 1B/LHP
Last edited by tjtlja on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Re: Fall Baseball Recruiting Signees

Post by Tulane49 »

Very well done
Now if only Tulane will verify the list
I like the LHPs
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

as others have said, Pierce didn't recruit much, so we need a nice couple of classes.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Acy Owen - 'catchy' name! :wink:
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

tjtlja, thanks for putting the list together. It clearly took a lot of work. Maybe Jewett's waiting until all JUCO's are confirmed admitted and in class but that's just a SWAG. Pub matters and recruiting pub is usually about the best and least negative a college team can have. Players may not be local but spectators are. Tulane still needs to sell tickets to games and maintain interest from potential buyers. Oh well......

Interesting that like football and our other sports, this baseball recruiting list puts the stake in the heart of "State of Tulane" recruiting. I think it's really not many locals are as interested in Tulane as they should be. But whatever. If these young men can play then let them sign Otis Sistrunk, Jr from University of Mars (for all you seasoned MNF fans with long memories.)
ThePig
Riptide Level

Post by ThePig »

What positions do Doga, Calhoun, Trent Johnson, Braedon Barrett, and Will McAffer play?
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

Doga is an Outfielder and he hit 31 Home Runs in his first year at JUCO last year.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

ThePig wrote:What positions do Doga, Calhoun, Trent Johnson, Braedon Barrett, and Will McAffer play?
Doga infielder/outfielder
Calhoun pitcher
Johnson pitcher
Barrett infielder
McAffer pitcher
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Caden Doga is #27 in Perfect Game top 50 JUCO prospects
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I will keep editing the original thread as more information becomes available or is obviously missing.
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

What's the thinking behind 4 Catchers and no true 3B with H Hope being a SR.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

G-wave wrote:What's the thinking behind 4 Catchers and no true 3B with H Hope being a SR.
Hoese can play 3rd and he is a freshman
mandevillewave
Riptide Level

Post by mandevillewave »

Are any of the JC guys coming for this season or are they all for 2018 ?
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

All for 2018
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Tulane49 wrote:All for 2018
:!: :!: :!:
At my age, I need reassurances that we will win National Championships in Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Basketball in the upcoming season. Don't let me miss out on my lifelong dream!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Thanks for clarifying. So I really don't understand why Tulane is passing on communicating positive news with its fan base. They still have to sell tickets.

A loose analogy: MLB's off-season word of mouth and reporting has exploded with arrival of free agent age over last several decades. Teams, players and agents announce signings when they occur not when spring training opens. It's good for business for all of them.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Having a camp for high school prospects but can't release the list of signees
https://twitter.com/greenwavebsb/status ... 8102439936
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Baywave1 wrote:
Thanks for clarifying. So I really don't understand why Tulane is passing on communicating positive news with its fan base. They still have to sell tickets.

A loose analogy: MLB's off-season word of mouth and reporting has exploded with arrival of free agent age over last several decades. Teams, players and agents announce signings when they occur not when spring training opens. It's good for business for all of them.
My guess is announcing baseball signees doesn't really move the needle. And, I'd bet that's true at most schools. Baseball recruiting isn't as big to most fans, especially to anyone from the North, so the people in charge of these things may just think nobody's that interested (though, they should know Tulane is one of the exceptions due to being successful in baseball). Was there a story on the official site after signing day?

I do recall an announcement about the kids coming in for 2017. Maybe they waiting until next year since none will be here until then?
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I'm pretty sure we usually announce them
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

We always announce baseball signings. I cannot remember any time where early signings were not announced. Of course, it is always good publicity and moves the needle at Tulane as much as any other sport except football.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I think we're probably in a little bit of a sticky situation announcing some of these "signings" because we're not allowed to comment/announce walk-ons until they enroll. Several of the players mentioned in this thread would be walk-ons. There is also a potential rule change out there eliminating the 25% rule which could affect who is scholarship and who isn't. I don't know for sure what the reason is, but if I had to guess, it has to do with the fact that we may not know exactly who we're announcing as a scholarship athlete. Baseball scholarship money is a lot more fluid than other sports because it's not fully funded. You may sign in November and not have a scholarship in August because someone didn't go pro. That's the reason we have Lex Kaplan. Miami had a player come to school that they never thought would see the campus. As a result, Lex was a free agent in the late Summer. In other cases, you may think you're getting 75% and right before the school year they tell you you're getting 33%. It's a crazy situation.

FWIW, LSU hasn't announced a baseball signing class either.
This one belongs to the Wave.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Very good to know, thank you.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Trent Johnson will be pitching for the first time this spring since having Tommy John surgery

https://twitter.com/kurtpegler/status/8 ... 5349875713
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »