David Iwowari

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
doc
President's Circle

David Iwowari

Post by doc »

Tulane offers a 6-7 F from Kingwood, Tx for the 2017 class. He is originally from Nigeria. Jarreau and Greshem committed to Houston today.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

David Iwowari basketball

Post by NJwave »

Tulane has offered 2017 PF from Texas. He is listed as a 2 star on verbal recruits. 247 lists him as a top 200 player for 2018. I wonder if he reclassified to 2017.

He tweeted the offer.

My bad for not seeing the other post.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: David Iwowari basketball

Post by Johnny Mac »

NJwave wrote:Tulane has offered 2017 PF from Texas. He is listed as a 2 star on verbal recruits. 247 lists him as a top 200 player for 2018. I wonder if he reclassified to 2017.

He tweeted the offer.

My bad for not seeing the other post.
the 247 page I found has him with 4 stars

http://247sports.com/Player/David-Iwowari-46046904
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

If he's a reclassifier you should expect big swings in ratings.

That kid's last name woulda put Buddy D in the hospital.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote: That kid's last name woulda put Buddy D in the hospital.
:lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

long green wrote:If he's a reclassifier you should expect big swings in ratings.

That kid's last name woulda put Buddy D in the hospital.
It's bizarre. Verbal Recruits lists as a 2 star 2017 recruit with Tulane and Loyola Marymount offering. 247 has as 2018 4 star recruit and top 200 player with no offers yet. It's hard to find much else on him other than of Nigerian background and plays for a Houston AAU team and played at Kingwood Christian Life in Kingwood Texas.

So basically, he is either a total under the radar guy that nobody offered or a stud for 2018 that reclassified for 2017.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

He played on a state champion 3A team in Iowa and graduated high school in 2016. Went to Dubuque Iowa Wahlert HS; spent last year at prep school I gather.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Found this on Iowa Hawkeye forum from a few years back.

David Iwowari – 6’6 forward – Wahlert High School (IA) 2016 The recent Nigerian import has only been in the country for a few months and just been playing the game for two years now, but where Iwowari lacks a ton of ball skills at this time, he makes up for it with instinctive leaps to the bucket. The high level athlete is one of the best that I have seen all fall long in running the floor and exploding for rim rattling dunks over opposing defenders. Capable of putting his forehead over the rim, Iwowari has to work on a more polished jumper and handles in creating off the perimeter as he is more of an undersized 4-man at the current time, but his explosiveness in the open floor should allot for much more college interest to be thrown his way in the coming years.
doc
President's Circle

Re: David Iwowari

Post by doc »

For people who are curious, I watched a number of mixtapes on this kid on the internet- he is a terrific shot blocker and athlete- these tapes are readily available- google his name
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

If he truly didn't start playing basketball until he was a teenager then he strikes me as an Ade Aruna type: a very athletic raw talent. He is at a disadvantage until he catches up to those with less talent but more developed skills from playing since pre-school. Like Aruna that may take Iwowari three years of sophisticated college coaching.

It's like these solid Div 1 football players who start playing rugby after college because they just quite aren't good enough to make NFL. They also aren't quite good enough to dominate smaller and less talented ruggers who've been doing it since they were five either. So US international rugby plays ok but doesn't win and you understand why even though our guys are often stronger, bigger and faster.

In short, Iwowari appears to me a project: well worth pursuing especially with a scholarship on the shelf assuming the young man could enroll in 2017.

P.S., I'm still laughing about the very astute Buddy D observation. He had enough trouble with Reginelli without having to go continent shopping.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Tulane might need to be the first team in the country with the players names spelled phonetically on the back of their uniforms.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

NJwave wrote:Tulane might need to be the first team in the country with the players names spelled phonetically on the back of their uniforms.
I'm hoping for Nebraska. "N" DOES stand for knowledge! 8)
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Baywave1 wrote:P.S., I'm still laughing about the very astute Buddy D observation. He had enough trouble with Reginelli without having to go continent shopping.
Diliberto had trouble with Phil Hicks ...
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote:Like Aruna that may take Iwowari three years of sophisticated college coaching.
Except that Aruna has only had about 1.5 years of sophisticated college coeaching, so I would expect Iwowari to progress more quickly since he'll have that right off the bat. :wink:
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:Like Aruna that may take Iwowari three years of sophisticated college coaching.
Except that Aruna has only had about 1.5 years of sophisticated college coeaching, so I would expect Iwowari to progress more quickly since he'll have that right off the bat. :wink:
`

It would be ok with me if the St. Patrick guys and Iwowari if he comes produce sooner rather than later!!

Meanwhile if both Tanner Lee and Aruna have bust out seasons, I expect to see some heads exploding around here. :hithead:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote:Meanwhile if both Tanner Lee and Aruna have bust out seasons, I expect to see some heads exploding around here. :hithead:
I think that's all water under the bridge by now. We know the situation we had, we know it was bad (heck, many knew it while we still had it)... no need to get angry. More than heads exploding, it would be heads shaking in sadness at what could have been.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

The only head shaking will be Lee's when he turns into a bobble head as he gets his world rocked by Big Ten defenses week after week
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Ade was badly coached? By whom? Sumrall? Drake? Lionel?

He & Tanner don't have as much in common as you think.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

doc wrote:For people who are curious, I watched a number of mixtapes on this kid on the internet- he is a terrific shot blocker and athlete- these tapes are readily available- google his name
I watched his mix tapes.. nothing but dunks and rejections... worries me the kid may have no range outside of a slam dunk... but he can protect the rim!!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:Ade was badly coached? By whom? Sumrall? Drake? Lionel?

He & Tanner don't have as much in common as you think.
And why would anyone be upset if he has a good year? Did I miss a transfer or something?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote:
doc wrote:For people who are curious, I watched a number of mixtapes on this kid on the internet- he is a terrific shot blocker and athlete- these tapes are readily available- google his name
I watched his mix tapes.. nothing but dunks and rejections... worries me the kid may have no range outside of a slam dunk... but he can protect the rim!!
Well, yeah, that's the point. He's only been playing ball a brief time and doesn't have basketball instincts, but he's apparently an incredibly gifted athlete. With good coaching he might develop into a stud. But it's a calculated risk.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Just so we are clear. He has not committed yet.

I remember a guy at LSU whose critics said he was a freakish athlete but all he could do was run, dunk and block shots.

Recipe for a title: add 1 Chris Jackson, mix in some Stanley Roberts and get rid of Dale Brown.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

NJwave wrote:Just so we are clear. He has not committed yet.

I remember a guy at LSU whose critics said he was a freakish athlete but all he could do was run, dunk and block shots.

Recipe for a title: add 1 Chris Jackson, mix in some Stanley Roberts and get rid of Dale Brown.
Yeah, but that freakish athlete also happened to be 7 feet tall and weigh 300 pounds. That's a once-in-a-lifetime freak.

Yet Dale Brown managed to keep those teams from getting very far, didn't he?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

PeteRasche wrote:

Yeah, but that freakish athlete also happened to be 7 feet tall and weigh 300 pounds. That's a once-in-a-lifetime freak.

The freakish thing about Shaq at LSU now is that he actually STAYED FOR THREE YEARS. I don't know who went first in those two drafts he passed on but after his first year at LSU he would have gone second or third at worst. After a breakout second year he absolutely would have gone first (Larry Johnson) but he came back. In that 30 for 30 Dale Brown has the stones to repeat the lie that he told Shaq to go pro in 1992.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

long green wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

The freakish thing about Shaq at LSU now is that he actually STAYED FOR THREE YEARS. I don't know who went first in those two drafts he passed on but after his first year at LSU he would have gone second or third at worst. After a breakout second year he absolutely would have gone first (Larry Johnson) but he came back. In that 30 for 30 Dale Brown has the stones to repeat the lie that he told Shaq to go pro in 1992.
We had this chat several months ago. Shaq still tops my list as best player ever with significant college experience who did not go far in NCAA tourney. (I'm not including the folks who skipped college like Malone and James or the one and doners.) Looking at Shaq's later NBA success, I think you can give Brown 95%+ of the credit for the college tournament disappointments.