Future hoops recruit?

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Future hoops recruit?

Unread post by PeteRasche »

While I don't normally follow recruiting THAT closely, something led me to maxpreps.com where I happened to see their current top story.

I had the crazy thought that if Dunleavy can keep the twin towers happy, this kid is not out of the realm of possibility. Heck, perhaps Dunleavy has had him on the radar from the start. He could end up the #1 national recruit for 2019 and he's from, you guessed it, Sudan. If we have a breakout season, you never know what the Dunleavy network could pull off...

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/article.aspx? ... 8c59f1c42b
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: Future hoops recruit?

Unread post by Roller »

:?:
The linked article does not mention Tulane or Dunleavy.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Roller wrote::?:
The linked article does not mention Tulane or Dunleavy.
I never said it did. No colleges are mentioned. The point is, how many recruits are there from Sudan? You'd think having 2 here already, especially if they love New Orleans (as I mentioned, "keeping them happy"), would give us a leg up. I'd be surprised if our twin towers don't already know this guy.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Well he looks like a taller version of the taller signee by Dunleavy. Has Manute Bol legs too. How would you like to be a basketball scout working the remote areas of Sudan? Someone found this guy to get him to the U.S. for 8th grade. We thought US AAU MBB was hard......
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote:Well he looks like a taller version of the taller signee by Dunleavy. Has Manute Bol legs too.
Yet this guy is projected as one of the top recruits in the nation, as opposed to our guys who.... weren't. So clearly there's an "athleticism and instincts" factor at play here. Presumably also since he's been here longer than our guys, he has more "basketball skills".
Baywave1 wrote:How would you like to be a basketball scout working the remote areas of Sudan? Someone found this guy to get him to the U.S. for 8th grade. We thought US AAU MBB was hard......
The overseas recruiting game is UGLY. Check this story (read the whole thing) about a kid from this area who is currently playing football for Auburn. Gets recruited to come to America to play basketball, by the time he arrives something has gone wrong with the situation and no one wants him, he's literally stranded in Wisconsin with nowhere to live. Meanwhile his parents are killed back in Africa (the unspoken part of the story is that they were apparently murdered for letting their athletic specimen of a son leave rather than enter the Nigerian military). Luckily his story ended well thanks to the charity of some kind people here, but I suspect many stories do not end well, and we never hear about them. Side note, I hope our overseas kids are as classy and humble as the kid in this story... http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/ ... /18370431/
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Trying not make this political and will just ask a question. What will the effect of the travel ban be on kids from Sudan coming to the US for basketball? I imagine kids coming straight for college should be ok under the current definition but most start in U.S. high schools.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

NJwave wrote:Trying not make this political and will just ask a question. What will the effect of the travel ban be on kids from Sudan coming to the US for basketball? I imagine kids coming straight for college should be ok under the current definition but most start in U.S. high schools.
I'm fairly certain it will end the practice. The ban affects foster children from the designated countries (cite: http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/wireSto ... s-48934633 ), who all undergo more thorough vetting than athletes, so I have to think it'll affect the sports kids, too. Certainly, on the face of the executive order, it would seem to.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

The travel ban is an issue that we in rheumatology are facing; there are trainees coming from the middle East for fellowships, and our national meeting is very concerned about the number of foreign physicians who are members that might choose to go to the annual rheumatology meeting in Europe, rather than attending our next meetings in San Diego, then Dallas.

Parts are for only 90 days; there have been some lifting of sanctions related to physicians in training, so perhaps it would not be quite as big an issue. not sure about the college students.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?