Lindsey Scott

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Re: Lindsey Scott

Post by GSx »

tjtlja wrote:Will he be a starter immediately? He doesn’t want to make that mistake again.
Unlikely
But going to a school at which he was not going to be the starter immediately wasn't the mistake he made.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

tjtlja wrote:Will he be a starter immediately? He doesn’t want to make that mistake again.
I'd assume we'd tell him he'll have every chance to win the job in the spring and summer and at worst Banks has one year left (in which Scott would likely see the field a decent amount anyway). Don't think he'll get a much better avenue to playing time than that.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Regarding a topic a couple of pages back, I did notice this:

https://recruit.thepodyum.com/jobs/1aca ... b2959f0e24

Will the good news come?
ThePig
Riptide Level

Post by ThePig »

Baywave1 wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:kansas is pretty bad. i think we have a shot versus them.
Kentucky is next offer??? :green wink:

Next recruiting question: can Lindsay dunk it?
Kentucky just got a commit from a JC QB named Wilson from Garden City. Looks like we are still in the hunt for Scott.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

GSx wrote:Regarding a topic a couple of pages back, I did notice this:

https://recruit.thepodyum.com/jobs/1aca ... b2959f0e24

Will the good news come?
This post now makes more sense, with the news of Atkins' leaving. Will be interesting to see who we hire. Wonder if AA's gone led to Leeward Brown leaving?
Plan your work, work your plan.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

It could be for that reason. However come January all schools can hire a 10th assistant.
We deserve so much better
olivengreen
Navigator Level

Post by olivengreen »

Would love to get another 'David Johnson' so we can tap into nola.....
Proud member of the Greenbackers!!!!!
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

olivengreen wrote:Would love to get another 'David Johnson' so we can tap into nola.....
In the posts way above, it sounded like that was the idea for the 10th assistant
olivengreen
Navigator Level

Post by olivengreen »

GSx wrote:
olivengreen wrote:Would love to get another 'David Johnson' so we can tap into nola.....
In the posts way above, it sounded like that was the idea for the 10th assistant

I must have over looked it. Thanks. Any idea who it may be?
Proud member of the Greenbackers!!!!!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

olivengreen wrote:
GSx wrote:

I must have over looked it. Thanks. Any idea who it may be?
No idea, but I'll nominate our former LB Jerry Phillips who coaches Warren Easton and is pretty well connected locally (Karr, etc.).
klazaroe
Crest Level

Post by klazaroe »

10th assistant will be JJ McCleskey. Finalizing paperwork.

JJ trained Scott all thru High School and thru college and has a good relationship with the Scott family.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

No reason to be coy anymore? :lol:
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

klazaroe wrote:10th assistant will be JJ McCleskey. Finalizing paperwork.

JJ trained Scott all thru High School and thru college and has a good relationship with the Scott family.
I take it that he's the coach we were hoping for?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Has he ever coached before?
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

GreenieBacker wrote:Has he ever coached before?
College, not that I know of. This is a bonus spot. I strongly believe this is not a Lindsey Scott package hire. If this hire goes through the tea leaves should tell us that this hire is intended to bring in a perennial over-achiever that serves to build a stronger recruiting connection to the NOLA area.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
klazaroe
Crest Level

Post by klazaroe »

JJ is a huge pick up for Tulane. He owns a training facility on the northshore and has trained most of the elite high school and college and NFL players in Louisiana. Also, was a coach for the Lousiana bootlegers 7 on 7. No, he hasnt coached college. But, if youre an elite player, you come see JJ. He teaches skillsets on a different level and yes, he will be counted on to recruit. College coaches are in and out of his facility daily looking at his kids.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

klazaroe wrote:JJ is a huge pick up for Tulane. He owns a training facility on the northshore and has trained most of the elite high school and college and NFL players in Louisiana. Also, was a coach for the Lousiana bootlegers 7 on 7. No, he hasnt coached college. But, if youre an elite player, you come see JJ. He teaches skillsets on a different level and yes, he will be counted on to recruit. College coaches are in and out of his facility daily looking at his kids.
Awesome!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

At end of day, we can't have enough local ties to develop the football program of any and all types from staff, team, fans and even media. If this guy helps recruiting in the short term ( :green wink: ) more the better.....

Regardless package deals rarely work out. Not even Press Maravich survived longterm after Junior went to the NBA.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Baywave1 wrote:At end of day, we can't have enough local ties to develop the football program of any and all types from staff, team, fans and even media. If this guy helps recruiting in the short term ( :green wink: ) more the better.....

Regardless package deals rarely work out. Not even Press Maravich survived longterm after Junior went to the NBA.
Nothing I have seen says this is a package deal.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

if he can improve the skill set of the athletes we have, if he can improve our recruiting and if he can improve our footprint in the Metro Area..........its all good. I actually also like that WF was willing to go outside his Core Group that's been with him a long time to bring him in. Fresh blood among the Staff is very good too.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Shouldn't one of you mods move this chunk of posts to the main board and give this coaching hire its own topic? It certainly is discussion-worthy and shouldn't be buried in a recruiting thread.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Poseidon wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:At end of day, we can't have enough local ties to develop the football program of any and all types from staff, team, fans and even media. If this guy helps recruiting in the short term ( :green wink: ) more the better.....

Nothing I have seen says this is a package deal.
Like we would know if it was? I used a joking icon for a reason. Meanwhile I didn't post that the guy had worked with Scott.

I endorse what GB said 150% I want the best staff possible and if those folks are local even better for all the reasons he notes.

Interesting. I don't know if you saw commentary that Dykes main problem at Cal was simply that he had no ties West of Texas much less relationships in Berkeley and California (the state where 90% of Cal students come from and the vast majority of its players.) He aggravated it by having his name linked to every job available East of the Rockies. His on field coaching was fine. Not a thread jack. Just an observation that historical residence and relationship matters in football coaching as in all else.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

That's a curious perspective. Your example might not have worked out for Press, but the coach isn't really the part of the package anyone cares about. Meanwhile, they literally named the gym after Pete.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

ml wave wrote:

That's a curious perspective. Your example might not have worked out for Press, but the coach isn't really the part of the package anyone cares about. Meanwhile, they literally named the gym after Pete.
Ben Simmons' stepdad didn't get a job at lsu (which he lost upon Ben's departure) because of his coaching skill set (or whatever job he had).
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson