Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lindsey Scott
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:13 pm 
Regent's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
Saw that Anthony "Pooka" Williams signed with Kansas (over LSU and Nebraska). What is this sudden love for Kansas? A dumpster fire if I ever saw one. They must have some guy on Staff with local connections ad a great gift of gab.

Assistant head coach Bowen is from USL and played briefly for the saints

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:33 pm 
Emerald Circle

Ah, I see now why he's down here trying to lure kids into the mistake of their young lives by going to that basketball school that has a train wreck for a football Program. Thanks for clearing that up. :-D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:36 pm 
Head Trainer

Missouri's qb will be announcing his decision after their bowl game December 27th

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:04 pm 
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
Saw that Anthony "Pooka" Williams signed with Kansas (over LSU and Nebraska). What is this sudden love for Kansas? A dumpster fire if I ever saw one. They must have some guy on Staff with local connections ad a great gift of gab.

Assistant head coach Bowen is from USL and played briefly for the saints

Maybe, but Tony Hull is the one recruiting all these kids. He was Warren Easton's coach and is extremely impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:05 pm 
Regent's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
waverider wrote:
Another fan and I discussed this early. At this point I'd either save the spot or offer it to another position of need. As noted above, the QB position could work itself out. If we get him that's great, but if not I'm ready to move on.

They have three schollie QBs for spring. Daniels looks like a great prototype for Fritz ball. I'm still rooting for Scott because I would like us to get a purple local who most of us think would thrive here. Fritz has moved a few parsecs at qb depth for his system from where he was two years ago when hired. With or without Scott, Tulane appears covered at minimum.

We'll see where Scott's due diligence lands him. If not Willow St, I wish him well. Talented guy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the '18 team will not have a single scholarship QB that was on the '16 team.

Well, there is Bradwell on scholly, so it is only technically true. We could use another QB--four is not enough. I'm asking for knowledge--is Ledford and dual-threat QB?

If he was a dual threat, they wouldn't have moved him.

Didn't know they had.

Yep, to WR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:12 pm 
Coach Level

ml wave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
waverider wrote:
Another fan and I discussed this early. At this point I'd either save the spot or offer it to another position of need. As noted above, the QB position could work itself out. If we get him that's great, but if not I'm ready to move on.

They have three schollie QBs for spring. Daniels looks like a great prototype for Fritz ball. I'm still rooting for Scott because I would like us to get a purple local who most of us think would thrive here. Fritz has moved a few parsecs at qb depth for his system from where he was two years ago when hired. With or without Scott, Tulane appears covered at minimum.

We'll see where Scott's due diligence lands him. If not Willow St, I wish him well. Talented guy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the '18 team will not have a single scholarship QB that was on the '16 team.

Well, there is Bradwell on scholly, so it is only technically true. We could use another QB--four is not enough. I'm asking for knowledge--is Ledford and dual-threat QB?

If he was a dual threat, they wouldn't have moved him.

Didn't know they had.

Yep, to WR

He is still listed as a QB on the roster FWIW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:54 am 
Regent's Circle

klazaroe wrote:
Missouri's qb will be announcing his decision after their bowl game December 27th

Drew Lock (Missouri QB) did not make a decision after tonight's game. First time that I watched Missouri all season and Lock did not strike me, the casual observer, as a NFL prospect that should be coming out early.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:09 am 
Emerald Circle

He'd be the 5th or 6th QB taken at best. I don't see why Lock's decision matters. It would only be one year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:42 am 
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:
He'd be the 5th or 6th QB taken at best. I don't see why Lock's decision matters. It would only be one year.

I'll throw my unsourced SWAG into this. Remember according to CW, Ohtani was a lock to go to the Yankees until he was actually able to make a decision. Then Yankees didn't even make the "home visit" stage. I still think it's MLTN that Scott goes elsewhere (just because it's my SWAG) but Fritz is relentless so Tulane definitely has a chance.

Dates to remember: Tulane, UM and KU are all semester schools where classes begin Jan 16th with last day to enroll a few days later. WMU is a semester school starting Jan 8th. Quarter schools start Jan 8th. (Are any academic quarter P5s interested in Scott?)

In effect he could delay his decision to just after MLK day if he channels his inner Hamlet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:07 am 
Navigator Level

My SWAG is a different take. Lock looked very average to me. 50%. Terrible INT from his own end zone into double coverage to a WR not open. If not for the bomb on first play of 2nd half (beautiful pass), he throws for less than 200 yards against a very vulnerable passing D who ranked 108th in passing yards allowed in 2017.
LS may be thinking he could get playing time next year at Mizzou.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:33 am 
Emerald Circle

If Lock comes back, the chances of Odom sitting him for Scott next year are nil. Lock led a remarkable come back from a horrible start to the season and got Odom a bit of an extension. It doesn't matter that a lot of that had to do with two easy non-conference games and with Tennessee and Florida cratering; Lock won those games and Odom is not going to forget it. If Scott goes there it's because he thinks he'll get two years as a starter and I wouldn't bet against him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:49 am 
Navigator Level

Meanwhile, with or without Scott, Tulane’s offense with Jonanthan Bank’s starting in 2018 should only be improved over 2017. Banks got better as the season went on. Let Daniels and McClain battle it out for back up. The only significant loss to graduation is Hilliard, but Dauphine becomes eligible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:00 am 
Regent's Circle

Drew Lock is only 21 so his biological football clock is not ticking loudly but he may be ready to go to work even though he probably would not be overwhelmed with bonus money. However backup NFL QBs are paid incredibly well to stand and wait so he may want to get his FA clock started.

If LG is right, he may be looking at only a $500,000 or so bonus and only a couple of years guaranteed salary. Not bad for a 21 year old mid-round draftee but if he thinks he could gin up his draftability by playing another year to first round those payment numbers multiply significantly.

Lock may stay and play and Scott signs with UM and watches just because. So everyone's opinion above is right.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 am 
Regent's Circle

Lock just ain't ready. He threw that one pass and that was it. Physically he needs time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:22 pm 
Regent's Circle

Wave Revival wrote:
Meanwhile, with or without Scott, Tulane’s offense with Jonanthan Bank’s starting in 2018 should only be improved over 2017. Banks got better as the season went on. Let Daniels and McClain battle it out for back up. The only significant loss to graduation is Hilliard, but Dauphine becomes eligible.

I would counter that Badie graduating is a loss as well.. and you're replacing two with one at this point.. now, Dauphine is good and he will have had a season of practice with the team to be full speed in the spring... but we need that second back like Badie... Bradwell is the sledgehammer.. I love what he offers but his skill set is not like Badie's... Huderson will improve with experience, but to me he's also not Sherman Badie just yet. The really fast RB we recruited could insert himself into the rotation if he can pick up the offense quickly.

But getting back on topic... we do need a 4th QB... I would hope CWF has one in his sights for February if Scott's not the answer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:31 pm 
Emerald Circle

Dauphine is such an unknown that it's both exciting and scary. I'm perfectly comfident in the other two. I think we'll be looking at Huderson and wondering why he didn't get more carries in 2017.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
Dauphine is such an unknown that it's both exciting and scary. I'm perfectly comfident in the other two. I think we'll be looking at Huderson and wondering why he didn't get more carries in 2017.
Huderson got much better at running upfield. Early on he tried to bounce everything outside. Once he figured out how to follow his blocks he started getting bigger gains.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:24 am 
Emerald Circle

NFL advisory board recomended the Missouri QB not go pro, but he's waiting to make his decision to see who the new OC is. Finley is the frontrunner for OC

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

Last edited by WaveProf on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:41 am 
Emerald Circle

Lock is the frontrunner for what?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:16 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
Lock is the frontrunner for what?

Meant to say Finley (for OC). Name fart.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:29 pm 
Regent's Circle

Time is drawing near ...

https://twitter.com/jmims1998/status/950123195323047936

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:45 pm 
President's Circle

Well, one week from today is the start of school and the deadline to declare for the NFL draft. By that time, if Scott is not in the mix, then we'll know he's going somewhere else. I don't blame him for taking his time to find the best fit for him. He's also been pretty tight-lipped about the process, which I would have advised him to do, so I think he's playing this right. People can draw whatever conclusions they want from the fact that he hasn't committed anywhere yet. He may be waiting on a "better" offer or he may be just making sure that he gets it right this time. Nothing would surprise me. He could commit to Western Michigan because of his relationship with Lester, and I wouldn't blink.

I think the hiring of Derek Dooley at Mizzou was out of left field and should hurt their chances of getting Scott. He's never been a coordinator. He's coming from the NFL after a less than stellar stint at Tennessee. The one thing he offers Drew Lock at Mizzou is a pro perspective having worked as an assistant in the NFL for multiple pro teams (Miami and Dallas). That, plus getting a later round grade from the NFL advisory committee, could entice Lock to stay. Both a new coordinator and a returning starter (who will not be unseated) could make Mizzou much less of an option. To me, it reeks of what LSU did to him...taking him just to take another QB, not because they wanted him badly. I hope he does what's best for his future...whatever that is...but i really do think Tulane is the best option he has.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:15 pm 
Coach Level

TU23 wrote:
Well, one week from today is the start of school and the deadline to declare for the NFL draft. By that time, if Scott is not in the mix, then we'll know he's going somewhere else. I don't blame him for taking his time to find the best fit for him. He's also been pretty tight-lipped about the process, which I would have advised him to do, so I think he's playing this right. People can draw whatever conclusions they want from the fact that he hasn't committed anywhere yet. He may be waiting on a "better" offer or he may be just making sure that he gets it right this time. Nothing would surprise me. He could commit to Western Michigan because of his relationship with Lester, and I wouldn't blink.

I think the hiring of Derek Dooley at Mizzou was out of left field and should hurt their chances of getting Scott. He's never been a coordinator. He's coming from the NFL after a less than stellar stint at Tennessee. The one thing he offers Drew Lock at Mizzou is a pro perspective having worked as an assistant in the NFL for multiple pro teams (Miami and Dallas). That, plus getting a later round grade from the NFL advisory committee, could entice Lock to stay. Both a new coordinator and a returning starter (who will not be unseated) could make Mizzou much less of an option. To me, it reeks of what LSU did to him...taking him just to take another QB, not because they wanted him badly. I hope he does what's best for his future...whatever that is...but i really do think Tulane is the best option he has.

Well written. You sir are very wise, may the ANGRY WAVE be with you. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:43 pm 
Regent's Circle

TU23 wrote:

Thankyou for this post !!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:14 pm 
Regent's Circle

This is like Ohtani going to the Yankees. No one truly knows regardless of what conventional wisdom might proclaim. So no result including WMU (or a last second undisclosed suitor) would surprise. At least Scott himself has disclosed that Fritz is recruiting him the hardest. So at least Tulane is doing the most with what is in its control. May Fritz be successful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next